Samsung QLED

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by Rich, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have six Samsung TV sets, five "normal" 4K sets and a QLED that I bought at the end of November last year. I got a more than decent deal on it and when it arrived and turned it on...I was ready to pack it up and send it back. I'm used to Samsung TV sets being good to go out of the box and the QLED wasn't. I had to make quite a few changes in the Settings. Took a couple days to get it setup and now I've got a...let me digress:

I have one Samsung 9000. A 55" set, an MU9000. I was warned about buying an MU but I didn't listen and the purchase turned into a nightmare. Started out with an MU8000 and the first one had a nice picture but had a green line bisecting the screen. That was the first MU that was returned. Got a couple more and returned them for various reasons. Finally, one of the Amazon techs I was dealing with told me to get the 9000. I was told they had had no problems with the 9000s but had plenty of problems with the 8000s. I bought the MU9000.

That 9000 is the best TV set I've ever owned or seen. Best PQ. Absolutely satisfied with it and use it every day. I bought an 65"NU8000 the next year and didn't like it. Mainly because it doesn't have a One Connection Box for inputs. PQ was a bit dull compared to my other sets. Wanted to replace it and began looking at QLEDs. This is the only QLED I could find that has a pedestal: 2019 QLED 4K Q90R 65" - Specs & Price | Samsung US and I bought it. This link has all the info on the set.

So, I have the QLED in one room and the 9000 in another room. After I got the picture problem fixed I began the comparisons. I am stunned! The QLED blows the 9000 away. Every day I watch the 9000 and think the same thing: How could any TV be better? Then I trudge up the stairs and light the Q off and there it is. Much better PQ on the Q. Two top of the line TV sets and one is just so much better. Did not expect that much difference. And the Q has a huge One Connect Box.

The QLEDs, like the "normal" 4K Samsung sets, have a 6/7/8/9 Series lineup of sets. I didn't try anything but the 9 Series set. Because of the pedestal. I would highly recommend the 9 Series sets, far better than I thought they'd be.

One more comment because I can't help myself: This is not a "CRAPPY" set!

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Neither are the Sony MASTER Series XBR-A9G OLED 4K UHDTVs. I'm using one in my Home Theater Room.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Understand why I made that comment?

Rich

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Just think of even how much better it could look if it were calibrated...

MysteryMan likes this.
  5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I am lucky enough to go to CES year after year. I am still partial to LG OLED for best picture overall. But that's my eyes, your review was interesting.

Rich likes this.
  6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    LG Makes all the Screens for Sony & Samsung :)

compnurd likes this.
  7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never gonna happen. Spend all that money and then you have to have it calibrated? When I took that Sony 850 back to BB the manager told me you have to have Sonys calibrated. I thought at the time that was BS but...

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I did look at the LG OLEDs. I could have purchased one, wasn't much difference in price IIRC. LG burned me once, wasn't an OLED but I can't get past that. Same thing with the Sony OLEDs. What I went thru with the Sony 4K set (not an OLED) was disappointing. Only problem I've ever had with a Sony anything. I did not expect that to happen.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sammy has on OLED TV?

Rich

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    IDK-But LG makes all the Flat panel screens -only Difference is the Video "Chips" Software MFG's and other drives (guts)

11. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I got the Sony 65” 930e. How would that compare to the Q90r?

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
  13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The QLED's are good TV's but I wont buy Samsung ever again after the HLG HDR Debacle from 2015 and the fact that they still dont support DV. I wont buy Sony because of the stupid Low Latency Profile DV Fiasco they created. All LG and Vizio in this house(Minus my sweet ass Funai TV in my office)

Rich likes this.
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No idea. To answer that question properly I'd have to have both TVs in my home. I do have the top of the line "normal" 4K Samsung (NU55MU9000) to compare the Q to and the Q is better. In many ways. But most importantly the PQ is better and believe me, I had a lot of doubts about that. I bought the Q the last week of November and could have kept it until January 31st but I'm not gonna return it and got rid of the box the other day.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanks, I had been to that site and what I read helped me make the purchase. That and my faith in Samsung sets. Bothered me quite a bit when I had to make some changes in the settings of the Q. All 5 of my "normal" 4K sets are still on the same picture settings that they came out of the box with and all have very good pictures.

Rich

TheRatPatrol and compnurd like this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was worried about the Q90R. I'll admit that. Kept the box for almost two months just in case. Forgot about returning it rather quickly. Last year, when I was in the process of buying the UN65NU8000 Inky told me any QLED would be better than any normal Samsung 4K. He was correct, as usual.

Rich

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Have you seen the top end Sony OLED? It’s dang impressive. As is the top in lg OLED.

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I agree. As I stated in post #2 I'm using one in my Home Theater Room.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup. Wasn't going down that road again. Once was more than enough.

Rich

20. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, if you think that a display arrives from the factory with optimal settings, all you have to do is read one of the calibration threads over on AVSForums. You will see many before and after comparisons that prove better picture quality comes with proper calibration. Whether you pay money for a professional calibration or learn how to do the calibration yourself, there are improvements to be had. It is a shame that one would pay top dollar for a top-of-the-line display and not want to get the best picture quality.

MysteryMan likes this.