Samsung RVU

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pkleinlsu, Aug 27, 2015.

1. pkleinlsu

pkleinlsu New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    NC
    Does anyone know how to change the default source to be the RVU on the Samsung? When I power on my TV it automatically goes to Chromecast. I want the RVU to be the selected source when the TV is powered on.

2. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I think you will have to refer to your TV's user's manual as every TV might do this differently. I currently own a Samsung JS8500 and when I turn off the TV with the RVU as my selected source it starts up with the last source I selected.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you used the Chromecast last it will start up on that as mentioned already.
    If you were on DTV last then it probably is jumping to the Chromecast since it has a signal first. If this is the case, use your TV remote and turn it off and leave the DTV receiver on all the time. There is only about 3 watts different than being on or off since the hard drive is spinning all the time and receiving data from the sat around the clock. Turning it off just stops the video transmission to the TV.

4. pkleinlsu

pkleinlsu New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    NC
    @crypter - I have looked in the user manual and there is no mention of changing the default source. The TV I have is the JU6500. I think maybe the issue is with the Chromecast. I will have to attempt to disconnect it tonight.

@jimmie57 - I don't have a receiver connected to the TV. I am using a RVU so when I turn off the TV, I guess the DECA stays on. Hoping disconnecting Chromecast will make a difference.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have the JU650 TV and it stays on the last source used. I'd be looking at that Chromecast too.

Rich

6. pkleinlsu

pkleinlsu New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    NC
    Thanks Rich. I had a feeling that was my problem because I don't recall my other DIRECTV Ready TV with a RVU doing the same thing.

7. pkleinlsu

pkleinlsu New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    NC
    So the Chromecast was the issue. That is very strange. Does anyone know the technical basis to why the Samsung picks up the Chromecast signal first rather than the RVU signal?

8. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Well the RVU is not a "signal" per se, it's more a connected resource much like the apps in the smart hub. So it has to start the RVU "app" and establish a connection before you can watch TV.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is possible that the Chromecast is similar to a receiver in that it is always on and therefore a constant connection to the TV, even with the TV off.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think you're right, as usual.

Rich

11. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    I have the same issue with my Sony and a Fire stick.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk