San Diego Fox / CW mapping hosed

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by daranman, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 1, 2008 #1 of 13
    daranman

daranman Cool Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Today, the local Fox and CW affiliates switched, and understandably, the HD feed for the former Fox (XETV-6) was dropped for the new Fox affiliate (KSWB-69). However, Dish Network is now mapping KSWB to 6-0, and XETV to 69-0. What makes this even more confusing is that KSWB calls itself Fox-5 (as both cable providers put that channel on Cable-5). The problem is that now my OTA is correctly mapped, while the satellite mapping is fouled up, so if I care to watch the OTA, its no longer sequential on my channel preferences.

I would drop locals altogether, but our local CBS affiliate is still broadcasting low power on its DT assignment, because it conflicts with the LA NTSC broadcast on the same channel. I'd rather Dish keep the old channel mapping, but I think that they are doing this to minimize the number of morons calling them to ask "Where are my Simpsons?" in this transition.

Who do we call or write to complain?

2. Aug 1, 2008 #2 of 13
    Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    Dish. It's not either station group's fault.

This deviates from standard behavior for Dish with affiliation swaps, though.

3. Aug 1, 2008 #3 of 13
    daranman

daranman Cool Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Looks like it was fixed. I e-mailed Dish earlier today.

4. Aug 3, 2008 #4 of 13
    tangodancer

tangodancer New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    While reviewing my DVR schedule tonight I noticed that So You Think You Can Dance is going to be recorded in SD rather than HD as usual. When I looked at the programming guide, channel 69 (HD) is showing America's Top Model - only the SD variant is showing SYTYCD.

Does the new Fox 5 not have HD? I can't believe there is a Fox affiliate that isn't showing the grand final this week.

5. Aug 3, 2008 #5 of 13
    Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    Guide issues?

6. Aug 3, 2008 #6 of 13
    Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Brawley??? That's in Imperial Valley...shouldn't you be watching KEYC from El Centro anyway. :D

7. Aug 3, 2008 #7 of 13
    Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    You meant KECY.

Dish offers Yuma-El Centro SD, but San Diego's the bigger market.

8. Aug 4, 2008 #8 of 13
    Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Oops! :)

yeah, yeah KECY!

I know that San Diego is the bigger market, hence the :D

Just trying to be a joker....been to Brawley...I'm from Arizona originally.

9. Aug 4, 2008 #9 of 13
    tangodancer

tangodancer New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Ha ha, yes indeed! But I work in San Diego and it's nice to know what's going on here, especially when San Diego County is on fire and KECY doesn't even mention it other than a 'oh yeah, there are some fires over there'.

I refreshed my guide but it still has differing schedules for the HD and SD feeds for Fox San Diego, so I emailed them.

And my apologies to you Charles for having had to come to Brawley - I hope it was a quick visit! :D

10. tangodancer

tangodancer New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    The reply from Dish:

Thank you for your email. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and confusion caused by this issue. Unfortunately, CW is not available in HD which will be showing the programming. FOX is airing CW’s normal programming and CW is airing FOX’s. Because of the swap there have been programming changes. CW will be showing standard definition programming that used to air on FOX as HD.

So, I'm glad that has it all cleared up! :confused:

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ernestine strikes again.:D

12. daranman

daranman Cool Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I'll confirm that the HD and SD guide for Fox 5-69 is not sych'ed yet, but normally I record off SD, vs. HD unless it's a football game. XETV-HD is no longer available from Dish, and they still don't have XDTV 49. I can't wait until KFMB-DT goes full power, so I can get rid of the locals.

13. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Legend

Feb 12, 2008
    yeah guide is still screwed up last time I check, think it is a tribune problem since my OTA KSWB is messed up too. Keep forcing a fresh download of the guide in hopes to fix the problem, sure take a long time. My wife likes So you think you can dance so trying to get a timer setup.

BTW, do you guys get guide info for OTA XETV? My just says digital programming, when DISH carried XETV I didnt care since I recorded the satellite version, now that I dont I need the guide info for them.

Thanks
    Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.