1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat info help needed for Keaau, Hi.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Musicmanjer, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Musicmanjer

Musicmanjer New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Napa, Ca. &...
    Hi All,

Ok so I'm a fresh newbie with green on my horns on this forum and need a little hand holding here. This is my first post.

I have satellite experience going back to the old C band monster dishes of the past (Mid 80's) and did all my work in Southern and Northern Ca. I was a Direct TV dealer in the early 2000's and installed tons of 18" and Slimline dishes. I have a new home in Keaau Hawaii (Big Island) and have a 1.2m dish there that was existing and I am unfamiliar with it.
    So, I brought a basic D12-100 non-HD receiver from California with me from my system there to see if I can get programming here in Hawaii, and I don't care if I get HD or not. What I have in Hawaii is a SWiM system, SWM8 Multiswitch & 3 LNB and am trying to get things fired up so we have TV when I get moved over here. I have a Perfect 10 Accutrac 22 Pro meter that I am using. I have checked level and got coordinates from Direct TV, but am only getting 25.9 % on 22khz, but nothing on the other LNB2. I have Slimline 3 /SWiM selected as the satellite on my receiver. I have read on this forum it's difficult to get a good signal because of signal strength of the satellites down here, but I'm doing something incorrectly i'm sure.
    Can someone with this knowledge give me a checklist to go by as I cannot figure this out. I'm sure its a piece of cake from someone who has done this scenario before. Thanks so much in advance!!
    Aloha :)

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if it's standard DTV "-AH" dish eg 1.2m reflector and special LNBF with bigger spacing between 101 and 99, 103 & 101 LNBs, then set local ZIP, get/set a tilt properly and find max signals for 101's tpns first

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    D12 is a SD receiver so I don't think it will tune Ka 99 & 103 only 101satellite.

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Are those levels coming from your meter? The Accutrac is not compatible with a SWM LNB. The trick before SWM became mainstream was to align the dish with a legacy LNB and after everything was locked down swap the LNB for a SWM unit. If you want a SWM compatible meter at less than the price of an AIM or Birdog Solid Signal has the Satlooklite. Solid Signal DIRECTV and DISH Satellite Signal Meter (SATLOOKLITE) from Solid Signal

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It sounds like you're trying to use a standard sized Slimline in Hawaii? That won't work well for 101, as it is broadcast to Hawaii with significantly lower power than in the US. That's why Directv's standard is to use the 1.2 meter Alaska/Hawaii dish in Hawaii.

6. Musicmanjer

Musicmanjer New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Napa, Ca. &...
    Ok to clarify, it is a 1.2m Ak/Hi dish. I would think the standard def IRD should work to get basic programming. Since you say my meter is for legacy and not SWM Lnb's, I suppose I could use the signal meter on the IRD? Ive done that in a pinch before. Btw, thank you all for your replies!

7. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    The 1.2 m AK-HI dish has LNB for 99-101-103.
    There are two side car coax connectors on the lnb for a SECOND 1.2 m AK-HI dish with 110/119 lnbs.
    The dish/receiver you have will only get 101 13v and 18v. There is no signal for any "tone 22khz" signals.

Doctor j

8. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I just reread your original post and I think I misunderstood. if you have a separate SWM8 switch and the LNB has 4 outputs then your meter will work fine on a LNB output just not on the SWM8 output. I was thinking SWM LNB

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah, would good to know what model of 101W LNBF you have; or whole block 99-101-103 model

10. Musicmanjer

Musicmanjer New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Napa, Ca. &...
    Allright, the 3LNBF is an eagle aspen 99 101 103. Whe I put the meter on, i did take the leads directly off the LNB and not the SWM8. Ive come to the conclusion that the dish should be moved as there are trees in the near distance that could be blocking signal since the dish needs to be set so low on the horizon. There is a spot close by that gives a clearer line of sight. Also, I noticed condensation behind the LNB cover, suspecting it may have moisture damage.
    I have a new 3LNB from a slimline that I can bring down to Hawaii next trip to swap out.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    don't do that !

if you need just 101W for now, just get/install old legacy regular DTV LNBF

later, when time will come for HD eg 99W/103W, you must find SPECIAL SWiM LNBF [block] for Hawaii !

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I did ask for a model (while knowing a mfg is plus)

13. Musicmanjer

Musicmanjer New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Napa, Ca. &...
    Hi all,

Sorry all for my lack of communication. I have been working on the Mainland California. Thank you all for your input. These are the facts we know based on posts:
    1) The dish is a 1.2 AK/HI fiberglass dish with a Eagle/Aspen DTVAHKAKUKIT LNB.
    2) Dish was being blocked by a new tarp garage I installed and some tall trees.
    3) Dish has been moved to a better line-of-sight location, but has not been leveled out and dialed in yet.
    4) Signal to my strength meter was taken off one of the 4 outputs of the LNB. It is NOT A SWiM LNB. Just the Multiswitch is.
    5) Condensation behind the opaque LNB cover concerns me as perhaps it has water damage? I don't know how robust these LNB's are?

I will be returning to the house end of this month, but was wondering where I could find a good used LNB in case mine is water damaged?

14. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Since you need the special alaska hawaii LNB, chances are you will find a used one only in Hawaii. Solid Signal will sell you a new one.