Satellite 101

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Davenlr, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just curious, when a storm comes through, it asks me if I want to switch to Low Res as the picture pixellates out.
    How many SD only customers are actually left? They SHOULD put all the most popular HD channels on 101 KU band, and offer the SD only people an upgrade. KA band rain fade is much worse than KU.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There is millions of SD only customers left

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
  4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would buy say 1M shares, come to shareholder's meeting and ask there - I see it as only one legally correct way to pull the number ;)

6. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    What you see there is not exclusive to SD customers. I own a Samsung 4K Ultra HD tv and a HR44 DVR. It asks me that when it rains. I select it and the program plays again without any break up or pixelation. My other tv in the house is a Samsung LED TV.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    do you imply the error message is nothing real?

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    SD customers don't get that message.

The question is: Why is DIRECTV still coddling SD customers to the detriment of customers who pay at least $25 more in fees per household?

Davenlr likes this.
  9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It is very unlikely there are "millions" of them left. Back in 2013 or so Directv provided some stats, at that time 25% of their userbase or around 5 million customers were SD only. With them not doing SD installs for over four years now and all the regular churn and more recent subscriber losses I find it hard to believe there are more than a few hundred thousand.

It probably isn't even the residential SD customers that are the issue but the commercial ones. Specifically ones that have a headend system. When Directv was planning the MPEG2 SD retirement (which would have happened about a year ago if the original plan didn't have to be scrapped due to contractual issues with certain customer types having contracts that extended beyond that date) they had figured out how many of these headend systems were in each DMA so that was clearly something they saw as an important part of the process.

Now that Directv has migrated off the spotbeams on 119 - the remaining MPEG2 SD locals on 119 are now provided via national beams - we'll have to see if they continue to retire DMAs or if they say "that's good enough, we don't want to spend any money to upgrade anyone else so we'll let them keep using SD receivers for another decade if they feel like it".

If we don't see any new retirement notices going out by the end of January, I strongly suspect MPEG2 SD will be around forever.

10. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    It is real. I am commenting on what the OP was talking about. It is not only Standard Definition subscribers that get that notification. I thought SD service was for those old big back TV's. Is it not? Or is SD service for High Definition TV's too? Can someone explain this to me. I'm really lost here!

11. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Harsh you got the wrong person. Satellite 101 made the post. I didnt! You should argue: SD customers don't get that message with him. Im not denying he's getting that message. You are! I said that option comes up on my HDTV's and HR44 receiver. If it happens today in New York. I will screenshot it and post it here. It is suppose to rain this Thanksgiving Day!

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You are really confusing this. He had it right

13. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    They have been doing hd upgrades for at least 4 years now. There might be a million or so actual standard boxes out there still but not millions of accounts like suggested above.

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That was my entire point. They are using the satellite that can get through the rain for their SD customers, and their higher paying HD customers get rain outs. I was curious how many SD only customers there were, because it would be great if they could put at least some of the major HD channels on the 101 KU satellite.

Lets say they are using mp4. How many KU 101 transponders would be required to carry:
    1: Fox News
    2: ESPN
    3:MSNBC
    4:ION
    5:HGTV
    6: Hallmark
    7: USA
    8: FS1
    9:CNN

I would think they could fit all those on 2 or 3 KU transponders. Cram a the removed SD channels on whats left (since they obviously dont care about picture quality)
    BTW: most of those channels came from the 30 most popular subscription channels list I found on the internet.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's totally different thing - protected MP3 actually, see Apple

Perhaps you mean MPEG-4 eg H.264 video compression

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Need to have ESPN 1/2 and NBC will want NBCSN there as well. So maybe Drop HGTV, ION, Hallmark.
    Also add TBS

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Apparently they have enough that they don't think they can afford to upgrade them all to MPEG4 capable receivers. They've been talking about it for years and even set a couple of deadlines but to no result.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Apparently the move away from SD is only a priority for people who fantisize about how they would use that bandwidth. It is not a priority for the company that owns the bandwidth.

compnurd likes this.
  19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's not surprising as DIRECTV isn't one of AT&T's declared areas of focus.

If DIRECTV wasn't interested in making the transition, it stands to reason that they wouldn't be setting deadlines.