1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

satellite career

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by evancono29, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 1, 2005 #1 of 10
    evancono29

evancono29 New Member

May 9, 2005
    hi my name is evan and i am 15 years old i live in illinois i am quite interested in satellites and there technology. I would like to get into the field but i dont know where to start i can aim dish 500s and superdishes and troubleshoot but what should i do to get into the satellite field?

2. Jun 1, 2005 #2 of 10
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Welcome to DBSTalk.com

Knock on the doors of some of the dealers in your area.

3. Jun 1, 2005 #3 of 10
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Get a college education and you can become an electronics engineer and design this stuff for the future.

Nice avatar.

4. Jun 1, 2005 #4 of 10
    mudder1310

mudder1310 AllStar

May 15, 2005
    Are you sure you want to become a dish installer? I really enjoy the work but if I knew when I was your age what I know now, I'd try to get on as an electrician. Very similar work environment, similar skill set, more money.

To answer your original question, get decent grades in math and english while you're in school. Learning a second language could be a big help (in my area it's spanish). Keep your driving record clean. Once you graduate, call your local retailer or Dish Network office and see what they say. Many technicians have little to no experience when they start off, which is fine because you really need to see a bunch of houses before you become a very good tech anyway. It's not hard to become a satellite tech, it is hard to be a very good one.

5. Jun 1, 2005 #5 of 10
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well said, Mudder. :)

6. Jun 1, 2005 #6 of 10
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Check into getting SBCA certified. SBCA.org

7. Jun 2, 2005 #7 of 10
    rcbridge

rcbridge Godfather

Oct 31, 2002
    Which part of the satellite world would you like to be a part of?
    Design and build the actual bird, or install the ground components?
    If design and build as suggested go to college and become an EE!

8. Jun 2, 2005 #8 of 10
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Go to the library and read every satellite technology book you can get your hands on. Even if they're old, those books can give you a lot of background that will help you understand the big picture.

And I don't like to pick on typos, but here they suggest that you could use more work on your written English. Good ideas are more important than correctly spelled words, but typos can leave a bad first impression that must be overcome. Whether it's creating a cover letter for a job or writing an installation report, you'll need a good command of written English if you want to look good.

Otherwise, listen to what everyone else here has said. You can use your satellite dish installation and troubleshooting skills to become a great satellite tech, or you can use those skills as a stepping stone to other careers. Aim high and follow your dreams!

9. Jun 2, 2005 #9 of 10
    Nikos09

Nikos09 Cool Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Going the EE route is certainly the way to go if you want to be involved in building or uplink work. It also will open up your employment opportunities in other areas depending on which way the business world blows. If you are looking at primarily satellites and the like consider two options:

1) Try a school like Mitchell Tech in South Dakota that teaches a pretty good satcom program. I've worked with a few graduates and they are well educated though limited in hands on right out of the box.

2) Try the military. Personally I'd go the Air Force route as you will have the ability to get an associates degree as well while making a few bucks. Space System apprentice, Satcomm, etc are good areas that will give you hands on experience though the education side of things is a little weak. I ended up going the military route and managed to stay in the field once I got out.

I want to second the suggestion that you go the electrician route rather than the installer route as well. It seems to me the installers just don't get compensated for the conditions they work under.

Bottom line, you asked the question in the right forum. Plenty of people to draw from here who have worked in just about every part of the industry. Hopefully the advice from everyone is of use to you.

Good luck to you on whatever route you end up choosing!

10. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    The above posts have some good suggestions. I would add, take things apart and see what makes them tick. Take the cover off your PC and learn what the components are. When I was a kid I knew how to overhaul a V8 engine by the time I was 14 and kept my sister's 1965 Mustang running. Install car stereos, tinker with the home theater system and such.

Go to school and get that engineering degree. Don't worry about the money, there are plenty of grants and scholarships out there for qualified students. The Air Force is an excellent way to get into to a high tech field such as satellite systems. That's what I did (except I learned radio and telephone systems). Keep you record clean and and stay away from drugs and alcohol.

I could go on and on. This is the same lecture I'm giving to my 14 year old son. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.