1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite HD and Large UHD TV’s ... do you do it?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by bmcleod, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I’m posting this question in the general area because even though I currently have Dish, I’d like to get input from both Dish and DirectTV camps.

I recently have had the opportunity to watch some Dish HD channels, NBC via the local affiliate KCRA, USA, TNT, FX, HGTV, on a Sony 85x900F UHD TV (85”) fed by a Hopper 3 or Joey 4K. The Sony is an LED with local dimming and supposed to have one of the best upscaling engines available using the X1 Extreme processor. I find the picture far inferior to my 9 year old Mitsubishi WD-73738, a 73” HD rear projection model that’s always looked very good with any kind of 1080 source. I’d say the Sony’s upscaled picture is bad enough that I’d not want to watch it very long. I have a very large room and sit about 12-13’ away from the screen, and even though 73” is large, I’d like something larger, and there are now UHD’s like the Sony available.

So, who’s using a large UHD TV with their Dish or DTV HD programming, and how do you like it? I know size is relative and dependent on distance, so if you feel your screen is large please chime in. What provider are you using? What UHD TV? Is the TV doing the upscaling or something external (like your receiver)? Most of all are are you happy with the picture?

I’m trying to understand if I’m fighting a losing battle with upscaled HD, or maybe DirectTV would do a better job, or the Sony’s just not as good as it’s cracked up to be? (or it needs some tweaking). I’d appreciate any and all input from those who actually watch satellite HD on a 4K TV (like many I have no option for cable). Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. —Bruce

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Was the Sony XBR-85X900F calibrated?

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you get a chance again to watch the Sony, try going to You Tube and watch some 4k videos and some HD videos and see how that looks to you.

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    He said he's in an area without a cable option, so chances are if he has a broadband option, it's probably DSL speeds that are too slow for 4K streaming via YouTube, so the dynamic bitrate will kick in and dip the video to SD quality, while satellite broadband's "unlimited" options force streaming content to be SD quality.

For places like this, it's either 4K Bluray, or the UHD content on Dish or DirecTV if you want to see true UHD content.

Dish and DirecTV both have UHD content on demand that's delivered via satellite pushes, so you won't tie up your internet connection. However if you're in one of the areas where even DSL isn't an option, that might not be avalable since it needs an internet connection to "phone home" the orders.

Dish has a part time UHD channel used for events like the Olympics and World Cup and special programming like BBC's Blue Planet and Planet Earth.

DirecTV has 3 UHD channels, 104 DTV4K carries various entertainment and documentary programming, 105 CINE4K is used for PPV Movies and the occasional live event if channel 106 is in use for something else, and 106 LIVE4K is used for live events like sports and UFC PPVs. The 4K content is in Select and higher, but for live events you need to subscribe to a package that contains the channel providing the coverage. (i.e. Entertainment for FS1 and NBCSN games, Choice for MLB Network games, Xtra for NHL Network and NBA TV games, etc)

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Kyl - if you have something that can simulate POTS (using a modem) - they can phone home just fine. No broadband required.

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The HR54 and HS17 doesn't have a phone connection, the only way they can "phone home" is via an internet connection. Which would be a problem if you're in an area where broadband isn't available at all.

The HR44 has a phone line, but outside of existing customers where your 4K content is limited to VOD, they do not provide it for new 4K installations.

7. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    So I tried to be clear, but I may have been too wordy. I’m interested in how satellite HD looks to those with large UHD TV’s. I do have 4K Blu-ray, but most of my daily watching is with Dish, local/national network news, prime time networks, ‘cable channels’ etc. I’m not trying to judge UHD content because I can’t get much of it on Dish, and I currently can’t stream it. My rural wireless ISP currently delivers 6 Mbps, but says ‘maybe this year’ to faster speeds.

How do your UHD TVs look when you’re watching Dish or DirectTV native HD programs? Do you like it?

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yep, one of my friends in California near Madera has a similar thing. It's decent for general use, but once someone in the house tries to use Netflix, someone gets home and every app on their phone starts syncing with the cloud at the same time, or Windows 10 decides it's time to download a multi-gig update, it's impossible to talk to him on Skype/Discord and he pings out of any online game.

6 Mbps will get Netflix in "Super HD", if no one else is using the internet at the same time, but it's way too slow for 4K.

It really varies based on how good your TV or AV receiver is at upscaling content, the size of the TV, and the original quality of the channel you're watching. Like if you have a 50 inch screen you might not notice as much of a difference compared to what you would see with a 75+ inch screen. 1080i channels will probably upscale better than 720p channels, and DirecTV's 1080i channels might appear better if Dish is still doing 1440x1080i on their 1080i channels.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Oh - so you're talking about DirectTV receivers that they don't have modem ports any more. Well, Dish receivers still have modem ports so you can see Caller ID on POTS lines - or in my case - over an ATA for a VoIP service.

For your Direct TV receivers - sounds like you would need a dialup connection to the Internet that can be "shared". Haven't tried this with Win10, but it worked fine with Win98, Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP, Vista, And I'm pretty sure it can be made to work over Win7-Win10 as well. Then there are ways to use Linux computers as the Internet dialup gateway.

There are satellite Internet providers, (we all know the disadvantages of that), or you could use your cell service (using your phone as a hot spot).

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    While this doesn't apply to the OP's case since he has a wireless ISP that should be good enough. Doing that with dial up would do more harm than good, especially with Genies.

The callback isn't in realtime, and if you don't have an always on internet connection, the VOD selections don't populate, so you would need it running 24/7. Plus the Genie might break the connection when it attempts to automatically download VOD content for series that are set to all channels and a new episode premieres on VOD before the linear airing and skip recording the actual linear airing because it thinks it already got the episode via an in progress VOD download that will take at least an entire day on dialup. There's also a bunch of internet powered interactive features like enhanced Score Guide, ESPN Video, Smart Search, and interactive channels that automatically attempt to preload content in the background as soon as you turn to the channel.

Also, since this is far from an officially supported solution, the initial activation would indicate that there is no internet connection, so the ability to purchase content would be disabled. You would have to set it up after the fact, and then call a CSR to get them to authorize the Genie for PPV/VOD purchases.

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    To answer your question I'm a 23 year DIRECTV customer. My 4K setup is a HR54-200 connected to a C61K-700 connected to a Sony STR-ZA5000ES AVR connected to a Sony XBR-55X900C 4K Ultra HDTV. The TV has been professionally calibrated and does the upscaling. Picture quality with DIRECTV is excellent. Depending on the source material being broadcast some SD can be near DVD quality. Again, depending on the source material being broadcast HD can be near Blu-ray quality. And 4K broadcasting is noticeably better than HD broadcasts.

Laxguy and bmcleod like this.
  12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    For what the Sony's cost you'd think they wouldn't need to be calibrated. My Samsungs have all worked well out of the box.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Largest set I have is a 65 inch Samsung JS8500. I just watch sports on D* and I am pleased with the upscaling on ball games. I realize a 4K feed would be a lot better than what D* presently puts out for sports (sports I'm interested in, soccer and golf don't interest me at all) but I have to say the PQ is quite acceptable.

I tried a 65" Sony 850 (don't remember if it was a "C" or a "D") before I bought the Samsung set (first 4K set) and was very disappointed. I've had a lot of Sony's and was never disappointed until the 850. That wretched thing cost almost as much as the JS8500 and the Samsung put out a gorgeous picture right off the bat. It still runs well without any changes in the menu as far as PQ goes.

I gotta admit, I'm still kinda stunned by the Sony 850. The thing was awful.

Did you even try a Samsung? Those QLEDs...are great, I think. Don't own one but if I have an excuse that will be the next set.

Rich

bmcleod likes this.
  14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    A modest sized UHD TV, 43" Sammy bought a year and a half ago. Picture: excellent UHD and HD. When my large plasma dies, I will replace it with a 60-65" or so OLED in all likelihood.

bmcleod likes this.
  15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    TV's need to be calibrated because they are factory set to look good in brightly lit showrooms. My Sony XBR-55X900C didn't look bad out of the box either but there was a very noticeable improvement after the tech calibrated it.

bmcleod likes this.
  16. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    I have 3 LG OLED TV's (a 2018 77". and 2017 65" and 55"). The upscaling on DirecTV can look anywhere from amazing to meh (SD on the LG TV's aren't that great, IMO but native HD content usually looks great).

As far as getting a TV calibrated, I have found that while getting your set professionally calibrated can help you wring every bit of performance out of your set, I can get pretty close by just looking for reviews on your model or on other sites and see where people who have had them calibrated set them. Make sure you write your settings sown before you start so you can get back to a safe spot just in case.

Again, I have DirecTV not Dish but would imagine there would not be too much difference, if any, on the way your set handles upscaling.

bmcleod likes this.
  17. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I have Direct TV on a older Sony 4k 75" TV......It looks great, even when its upscaling.....I just invited a beautiful woman over the other morning to watch the soccer game......She was very impressed how nice it looked.

bmcleod likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had a bad experience with an LG a couple years ago. Not sure if the OLEDs have the same problem, but I don't want to buy one and find out it does.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Perhaps you can answer a question I have about the LGs. Does "red" look a bit off, kinda more "scarlet" than "red"? I liked the LG set I bought in 2015 but the way it rendered red bothered me.

Rich

20. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    With the priced being charged for higher end TVs I don't understand why they don't factory calibrate them. Apple is able to factory calibrate the display of every one of the roughly quarter billion iPhones, iPads, iMacs, etc. they sell every year, there's no reason TV OEMs can't do it.