1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

satellite line of sight question - how close?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mikemyers, Feb 23, 2013.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    One quick question regarding line of sight.

I know that for DTV to work, there has to be a clear path to the satellite. What I don't remember reading about, is how close things can come to interfering with that line of sight, before it becomes a problem.

Or, to simplify. You are completely able to see where the satellite is, with no obstructions. How much clearance (if any) do you need around the satellite, before a nearby obstruction becomes a problem?

Let's say the satellite is just to the left of a building, that is "almost" in your way, but doesn't obstruct your view. As long as it doesn't block the view, does this make any difference?

(The more I think about it, the more I think it makes no difference. I'm guessing that even if the building were three or four degrees off to the side, everything would still be fine. Yes?)

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The satellite line of sight must clear an object by at least the radius of the dish being used. If you have a 3 foot dish, the satellite has to clear the distant building by 1.5 feet at the building. Just think of a big toilet paper roll the size of the dish, pointing at the satellite.

3. DTV101412

DTV101412 Cool Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Technically as per DIrect you must have a 5 degree offset from 95 and also 119. But if your clear then your good. As long as the obstruction is not a tree.

4. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010

I think I'm in good shape then. If I get the (rather low) non penetrating mount, that's held in place with concrete blocks, the dish will be lower than it ever used to be - but I just crouched down to view my balcony with the satellites shown by the Android app. While viewing it, I did a screen capture. I'll post it below, if I can - the "thing" at the top is the bottom of the balcony above mine, and the "thing" at the bottom left is the top railing that goes around my balcony. Looks like I've got a pretty good view of the satellites. I tried to do this during the day, but couldn't really see the screen - was too bright in the sunlight.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping that you guys tell me this is OK - the previous dish was a couple of feet higher, but worked fine, so I'm feeling good about this.

(.....and had I tried to get the dish mounted close to the building wall, it would have been a disaster, as the balcony above mine would have blocked everything....)

The app is free - it can be downloaded at:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agi.android.augmentedreality

(I purchased SatFinder Pro yesterday, but haven't yet figured out how to use it.....)