1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite provider switch?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Friendswood1, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Friendswood1

Friendswood1 Cool Member

Jan 30, 2011
    I was wondering how many Dish subscribers on here used to be more than "passing" Directv subscribers.
    If you made the switch......why?

2. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    A local rep came to my door and offered several incentives like Cinemax for a year for 1 cent, plus 3 months of several other channels. Also he took care of the switch from "D" to "E" (a big deal). His company did the install and it was flawless. Not to mention that I saved money on my monthly bill. Also the 722 blew away the "D" HD DVR for performance and hard drive capacity. For the first year, if I had a problem, I called his company instead of "E" direct which w turned out to be a nice perk. Because of this experience I turned on at least half a dozen of my neighbors to this company and they are also very happy. This was about 3 years ago. I had been a "D" sub for over 10 years and was using the HR20 before it was released to the public.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I was a D* sub for several years as well. They fell too far behind on national HD (about 30 channels less than Dish) with no signs of catching up any time soon. So we were missing a lot of our favorite programs on AMC, TCM, BBCA, HLN, E!, G4, etc. Also SD on D* was significantly worse and music channel audio quality recently took a big nose dive. Otherwise, equipment and pricing was about the same. I do miss D*'s MRV, but Dish should have that fairly soon. I'm very glad I switched.

D* and E* really target different markets. D*'s niche is sports and PPV. They don't really care about national HD anymore. So E* is a better fit for me.

4. Friendswood1

Friendswood1 Cool Member

Jan 30, 2011
    What about picture quality?
    I have Directv now but had Dish a few years back. The main reason I switched at the time was because the Dish hd signal was very disappointing. I'm considering switching back when my service contract runs out in two months.
    I love the Dish hd lineup but not at the expense of picture quality.

5. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I had the exact same problem with "E"''s PQ but not anymore. When I switched to "E" I could see no difference. I certainly do not think that "E" and "D" are after different markets at all. "E" offers plenty of sports and "D" offers plenty of movie channels and national HD channels. Some differences but not a lot.

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    +1

I can't see a difference in PQ on my 60" tv either. I know there is a difference, but it's really hard to detect.

All I meant by different markets is that D* is concentrating on the free-spending customer segment more so than E*, by their own admission (Sunday Ticket subs, PPV buyers). In doing so, basic HD has suffered.