Satellite Signal Checking Weirdness

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by smiddy, Mar 30, 2008.

1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Greetings everyone of you SWMLine dudes and dudettes (if there is such a thing). I was testing the signals this evening on my HR21-200 and HR20-700 and I got a weird thing that happened. After I came out of checking (I went through all the sats to SWM) the tuner I was on came up with a 721 message. To fix this I Channel Up and then Channel Down and the tuner came back to life. On both DVRs I am using CE 220h. In the morning I will check the H20-600 to see if it has similar behavior.

(I was checking for 99[c] but no dice, BTW)

Has anyone else noticed this too? Is this a known anomaly?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't checked this [yet] with this week's CE but this was "normal" with last weeks CE for both my HR20 & 21.

3. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    First off, the new avatar is really throwing me for a loop.. :)

On my new R16, a couple of times when I've changed the channel, I've seen a message pop up for JUST an instant, and then go away.

It goes away faster than I can read it, but from the location/appearance, it looks like it might be a 721 error.

I've not seen this behaviour on either of my Hr20-700s.

4. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I was part of an avatar bet between AirRocker and vankai, they each have to wear something funny about ogres and I had to wear the winning team's avatar. I think they pulled me in to get more advertising because I post like a mad man. :D

So, to be back on topic, when you test signal strength goig through all the satellites and then hit done, the channel you're on with the HR20 doesn't come up with a 721 error?

And the R16 seems to show the error and go away very quickly no matter what (without checking satellites?), is that right?

5. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Yeah, I've seen the error on the R16 a couple of times, but it corrects itself very, very quickly. It's the briefest flash of the error.

I'll try checking the satellite strength in the bedroom, but I've checked over the last several days the signal strength in the living room, and I've not seen that error at all.

Since I was troubleshooting the R16 and it's not downloading software, I was slingboxing that on the laptop and had the HR20 on the TV and I was comparing my signal strengths to see if there was something odd going on there. At no point coming out of there did I see the error on the HR20.

Interestingly enough, since we're talking about checking signal strengths.... The R16 doesn't show SWM signal strengths like the HR20's do.

6. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Things that make you go humm!

I am getting differences between the HR21 and HR20 for sure, in signal strength levels.

7. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Signal levels for me were pretty much in line on the R16 and HR20, though I do occasionaly get the odd reporting transponder on the R16. It'll be 98 on the HR20 and the R16 will say 68?!? Give it a moment and it comes back at 98 like the HR20. I'm not sure if that means it's having trouble locking on to those signals at some times, or if it's just wierd reporting.

It doesn't seem to affect viewing on the R16, so I don't think that it's actually getting poor signals, though I'd have to be watching the right channel at the right moment to confirm that...

Another oddity on the R16, which is not related to the signal levels, but which I noticed nonetheless. When I go to the "Info" page and look at all those settings... down near the bottom it says "Advanced Program Guide; Yes, 14 days" or something like that. Same as my HR20.

The next entry though, is not on my HR20:
    "Picture in Guide: Yes"

I'm curious if perhaps that's an indication that they may be working on the ability to turn the PIG on and off? I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere else, but it was interesting to me, anyway.

8. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I had not noticed this one myself, since I never went to the bottom of the screen in my haste...but I will check it out this evening and report back here.

9. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    My HR21-100 regularly does this -- and often I get the error on all HD channels, requiring a reboot. My HR20-700's don't have the problem.

I can't say for sure that it started with the SWMLine install, as I was doing a CE on the HR21 as well and only had that DVR a short time before updating to the SWMLine. I didn't see it happening with the SWM-5 I was using previously, but I don't check signals that often.

10. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I just added an HR21-700 into my mix with the 2 x HR20-700.

I powered up the box using the AT-9 dish with 2 lines before attempting SWM so I could be sure everything was cool. I downloaded the NR, then when that was in place I rebooted into SWM.

I did all this before activating the receiver.

When I called to activate, Level 1 CSR was unable to get rid of my 721 on all channels even though on her end the box was showing activated. I was transferred to the Access Card dep't where a fellow there was able to get it working.

No idea if this has anything to do with 721, SWM, or HR21 vs. HR20 or not.

I know for sure I have not seen a 721 at any time on my 2 x HR20-700s.

11. jmschnur

jmschnur Icon

Aug 30, 2006
    I have had this for sometime now and reported in in the CE poll-blg several times

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I checked signal strengths on my HR21-100.

Then I ran the system tests.

No issues here. It returned to live TV normally.

Mike

13. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Update with today's CE (where applicable):

HR20-700: 225h
    Run signal strength through SWM screen and after Done is sellected the tuner had a blank screen. I ran the System Test and everything passed, yet the screen was blank. Channel was on Food Network HD. Did a channel up and channel down and the tuner came back.

HR21-200: 225h
    Ran signal strength through SMW screen and after Done is sellected the tuner had 721 screen. I ran the System Test and everything passed, yet the screen displayed 721. Channel was on Discovery HD Theater. Did a channel up and channel down and the tuner came back.

H20-600: 4062h
    Ran signal strength and noticed there isn't a SWM screen. The screen was ok after hitting Done.

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    HR21-100 with {CE:06:01} 0x0226

I ran both the system test and signal strength from the Sat & Ant menu and video/audio was there after I hit Done.

I'm not sure I know what the SWM screen is though so I may not be testing it right.

Mike

15. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I can only speculate what it is...I don't know either. Here's is what I think, someone correct my assumptions if they are out of whack: the receiver hits each of the TPs and returns signal strength associated with voltage levels. Each TP is associated with a set of bandwidth for a correspnding LNB and/or satellite, except for #9, which I think is a part of the PI. My guessing totally, your mileage may vary...

16. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
  17. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Whoa, that one is weird! I will check later tonight again with this CE 225h on both DVRs.

18. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I would be interesting to see what your H20 does. If it idoes it also, we may have an SWM problem, If not , probably an HR2x problem.

Bob

19. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I just checked both my HR20 and HR21 and neither one experienced any issues with CE 225h. :shrug:

20. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Did you use the procedure I oultlined in the other thread? I found some combinations that did not have the problem.

bob