1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite strength and local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mjferguson, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    I am seeing something very strange and am looking for any input you might have. I have several HD/DVR receivers in my home and I also take one to a cabin I have about 450 miles north of my primary home from time to time. I am not looking for a discussion on taking the receiver with me, I have seen thousands of discussions on that topic. :)

My question is this, I seem to get all channels, SD and HD, when I take the receiver to my cabin, except my locals? The locals show up in the guide and I seem to get all satellites in the signal meter at both locations, but am only getting the searching for satellite on the locals when I try to tune to any of them.

One thing I noticed when I returned home this time is that I seem to have a 103(cb) on my signal meter at home, but don't think I did at the cabin? I could be wrong on that, but could that be it?

Thanks in advance!

2. ttodd1

ttodd1 AllStar

Oct 28, 2007
    spot beam

3. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    Thanks! So is there anyway around this? Anything that can be done to adjust the dish, etc...

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Nope, once you're out of the foot print of the spot beam, you can't get your locals.

5. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    Does it make sense that they show up in the guide, but I can't get them? Is there a map somewhere that I can referr to for how far the spotbeam transmits? Thanks for all the input.

Back to the cabin topic. Is there anyway for me to get locals from the local market for that one receiver? My primary home is in Boise Idaho and the cabin is near Spokane Washington.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    A new(second) account for the cabin location would give you the area locals.

7. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    Just trying to figure out if a new account is the only way. I will do without them if that is the case, would just be nice to have them. Confused as to why they show up in the guide...

8. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    The guide is based on the Zip code for the installation. The receiver does not know it was moved out of the spot beam for those locals, so it still shows them in the guide. Since you are moving well out of that footprint for those signals, the receiver will be unable to tune them in.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Another option would be to add an antenna [and tuner if needed like the AM-21] for over the air channels. This would give you locals for the area, if there are any, without going for an additional account.

10. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=194072

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=195415

Boise, I believe, is on the A2BC spotbeam.
    Boise and Portland Or. share a lot of area.
    Boise is within the Pink contour usually felt to be the acceptible coverage area. Spokane is just outside.

A 1.2 meter dish might just give you the signal strength you need but a fairly advanced DIY project required.

Doctor j

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is a terrible idea. It would be easier to change his address when he goes to the cabin and just change it back when he goes back home. As long as he is not using the movers program it shouldnt make a difference.

12. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    That would be a hassle if he is going to the cabin regularly.

13. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    Yes, we do go pretty regularly and changing the address is really not an option in my mind. If there is no way with the current spot beam I guess my only realistic option is to try to go the ota antenna route. Any other thoughts are always appreciated. Great site and thanks for all the discussion!

14. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    Update on another strange finding. Got to the cabin last night and the locals were working perfectly. Now this morning searching for satellite again? All signal strengths are above 90? Very confusing as to why they would work certain times of the day.
    Any thoughts?

15. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Solar outages this time of year? Sun is in direct line, behind the satellite, and kills the signal for a few minutes each day. The time changes slightly, as the week goes on. How long has this problem been happening?

16. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    You are probably right on the edge of not having enough signal from the spot beam. Slight variations in the weather, or even the satellite position itself, may be making them come in occasionally.
    The idea of a larger dish might work. The beam edges are not finite, they just taper off on the edges.

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    FWIW, I met someone recently who has a home in Florida and NY. Claims they go back and forth 4x a year and take 2 receivers with them on the trips (by car). Once in NY, they call Directv and change the local zip code to NY. Back in Fla., change the local zip code to Fla city to get locals back on.

Claims they are above board with Directv, have been doing this for years and doesn't have to mislead them on anything. They just won't activate NY national networks when in Fla. and of course local spot beams in Fla can't work in NY.

Just repeating what I've been told from a local subscriber.