1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite TV Scam

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1 of 42
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  2. Jul 1, 2012 #2 of 42
    drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    Bad link. got a message about link contains no data.

<Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>9F0D8C996DC6CEBC</RequestId><HostId>StgP005t8x6L58vnNnZYEq00MUo6sWrYVJrgralBaqc1Z5lKKOUqWZsoe5qZGsOY</HostId></Error>

Dave

3. Jul 1, 2012 #3 of 42
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Worked fine for me just now. Try it again.

4. Jul 1, 2012 #4 of 42
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Rule #1. Don't buy anything from a door to door salesman.
    Rule #2. See rule number 1.

Dish and Direct should crack down on these independents and not allow them to represent both providers. (if they really do)

5. Jul 1, 2012 #5 of 42
    Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    Shouldn't there be a rule in there somewhere about not buying Dish? :D

6. Jul 1, 2012 #6 of 42
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Holy Cow! It's a good thing both DIRECTV and Dish did the right thing here. Hopefully they're both also working with the local authorities. The equipment installed and tools used had to come from somewhere.

Mike

7. Jul 1, 2012 #7 of 42
    samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    This part here makes it a scam, and maybe some high pressure sales.

They were telling people it was a joint program with Direct and Dish to help keep prices low.

Other than that most techs have the ability to sit down with a prospective customer and go over equipment, programing and new customer savings.
    Call an 800 number, have a dealer process the order(collect a referral credit$$) and then do the install(more$$). Some of us are restricted by our employer to one company.

8. Jul 1, 2012 #8 of 42
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Old people are gullible.

9. Jul 1, 2012 #9 of 42
    LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    WOW....So sad, glad it worked out in the end though.....

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, now they know where she lives and what she has in her house, along with her neighbors. Never ever let anyone in your house that you didn't invite over.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, and at least from the article they did the right thing without having to get the press involved or a fight. Though I'm sure she had to get past a first level CSR.

12. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Just another reason why I don't even open the door for anyone selling anything door to door....except the neighbor kids selling stuff for fundraisers :)

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Kids still do that? I usually just get hit up by the parents, or at the grocery store during cookie season.

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Yep, young people are way too smart to do anything stupid.

15. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    Sometimes I wonder how the elderly people make it in todays society, they just don't have the distrust and "cyber smarts" that alot of us 50 years old and younger have today. PLEASE don't say I am putting down older folks, because I am not, I have huge empathy for them because of the incredible trickery that is used on people today thru the internet and other means. It seems like older folks are more apt to believe that these types of scammers are not out to get them, where my mind is always thinking "what is this person trying to scam me out of". And as the elderly get older and start to "slip" a little they become such easy prey, it is so cruel what humans will do to other humans for the all mighty dollar.

16. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    You've a good heart, but spare your paternalistic empathy, and reconsider some of your assumptions. While there are obviously issues among some elderly folks (and individual stories stand out and make great press), many of them are far more skeptical/smart/scam-proof (some even in the "cyber" sense) than younger folks.

17. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    well, maybe your right, i don't mean to offend at all, I guess i just worry about my mom and dad as they get older and do have a sense of wanting to "protect" them from the evils that are out there, but my mom still calls me twice a day to check that i am ok, so i guess it goes both ways.

18. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    It does go both ways! :)

19. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It really is not valid to generalize "older people" based solely on age. My mother has fallen victim to a variety of scams over some years, however she was suffering varying levels of dementia (now with advanced alzheimers), and her judgement (or lack thereof) was not a result of age, but rather of an age related disease.

I know many a senior citizen (more senior than me, and I'm old enough to be on medicare) who is sharp as a tack and would never fall for a scam. And I know some overly trusting and gullible younger people.

Bottom line is, yes there are many a scammer out there, who will take advantage of whomever they can, regardless of age. And there are many a victim of all ages.

20. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Gee thanks! :lol: