Satellite v. OnDemand

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RoyGBiv, Jun 29, 2019.

1. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    My wife likes to watch a bunch of cooking shows on Food Network and the Cooking Channel. I set them to record manually for her on the HR44 by going through the guide once a week and adding the shows she watches. For some reason when she watches some of these shows she is not able to FF, and I presume it is because instead of recording the show off the satellite, it is instead recording it via OnDemand.

Short of pulling the ethernet cable from the HR44, is there a way to prevent it from recording shows I have set to record via OnDemand instead of when they are shown via satellite?

SMK

2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Odd if you record the show when its broadcast / airing it should allow you to FF

Only on demand you cannot FF

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Depending on how she plays them back, it may or may not be inserting on demand episodes. What I mean is that if you select and play back a recorded show from your play list, at the end of that show, a prompt appears asking if you want to play the "next available episode". If you say yes and that episode is NOT already recorded on your hard drive and is available via on demand, it will download the show and play it back instead of just jumping to the next episode on the hard drive. You can tell because you get a short pause with the ATT logo before the playback starts. If you want to avoid that, there are a few ways to do it. You can say no, then return to the recording list and manually play the next episode listed. Another is to just play the "folder" so every episode you have recorded plays in sequence without the prompt. A third (my solution) was to just disconnect everything from the internet because we never used anything that required the internet connection.

4. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I have genie 2 , doesn't the multi room DVR function work via the router? I haven't done it in a while but I kinda remember a message saying offline or disconnected when the router is unplugged .. ??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It should not be doing that. Have you rebooted the receiver lately? Maybe reboot it and as soon as it’s back to love reboot it again. (Hit the red button on the unit). Then let it sit for a few hours. That will flush all the guide data and such and reload it all. Could be a glitch.

I am assuming you strictly chose what to record by looking at the guide and hit the record button. You aren’t searching via more programs or anything like that since those lists can sometimes mix on demand and satellite versions.

Why not just set a series record so you don’t need to scorer the guide? It is also only supposed to record from sat channels.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You don’t need to be plugged into a router or the internet to use Whole Home Service. It can work strictly between the boxes themselves.

dtv757 likes this.
  7. Jul 1, 2019 #7 of 25
    RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks for the info. It is not likely, but possible, that my wife is watching the "next available episode," but I don't think so. I will check with her.

I have recently reset the receiver using the "clearmybox" option (for a different reason), and that made no difference. Also, my wife has no idea how to record programs let alone search for programs, so the only ones that should be recorded are the ones I manually choose from the guide.

I may just disconnect the ethernet cable since I can't remember the last time I watched anything on my HR44 from the internet and instead always use my Firestick.

SMK

8. Jul 2, 2019 #8 of 25
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not related to the issue, but why are you going through the guide weekly and manually setting everything up? Set a show to record, first run or repeats, plus how many you want to keep, and let the DVR do the work.

dtv757 likes this.
  9. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    So, my wife continued to complain about this problem and said it was becoming more frequent. I just turned on the TV, and the program that came on was "chopped" on the Food Network. The problem is the Food Network is showing "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives." So, I pressed "info" and it indicated that I was watching 1231, the on-demand version. I never tune to that channel and don't even have it in the guide as I use a custom guide and don't include any on-demand channels. Since I almost never watch anything on-demand, I just unplugged the ethernet cable. I'll see what happens.

As to the comment above, the way my wife watches things, it's easier for me to just go through a week at a time and manually record the shows she wants on HGTV, Food Network and Cooking Channel, and since they are 229, 231, and 232, and I can see them in one screen, it is quite easy to do. It is my understanding that if a show has been on recently and recorded once, even if you have the DVR set to record new shows and repeats, it doesn't always record the show, and this way I know my wife will have her pick of any of them she wants to watch.

SMK

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So you are going to the Guide to select the shows.

If you do a smart search, it will sometimes pull from the On demand channels.

My wife also has a number of shows set up to record from those same channels. She has never complained about any not recording properly unless we had a bad rain storm.

Humor us. Go to the Guide and set up a series on some of those shows. Either First Run or Both. See how that works for you.

11. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I will consider it, and certainly use the DVR to record a lot of series. My wife will not be happy if something doesn't record, but I will think about trying it.

I would be more interested to hear if someone could explain how this is happening.

SMK

12. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Example If you set a "SHOW" for recording and then look in the series list - If it says ALL Channels - It will record all SHOWS either on the internet (VOD) or Broadcast for all Channels.

What you can do is find the "SHOW" you want in the guide and then using the remote Press the record button "twice" and it will then only record That Channel. (not always) But Most of the times depends on what Channels your using.

When In the Guide - (example) Channel 256 -- if you type 1256 -Then you will get to the VOD internet channel of TCM-
    Every Channel that offers VOD will have a 1 in front of the Channel --example 1501 HBO VOD.

I hope you find all this clear.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Once you select a series to record, wait a few minutes and then go to your To Do List. You should see the stuff you selected.

I don't want to point out the obvious, but your wife already isn't happy because not everything is recording. Probably 50% of our series list (I think we have 73 set right now) are from the same channels you're having problems with. And we've never experienced what you're going through. And these are all via our HR44.

14. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Everything is recording. The problem is that some of it is recording via On Demand even though I never set it up that way. If I go into the "to do list," there are NO recordings listed as being on demand or a 4-digit channel, yet they sometimes record that way. I did remove the ethernet connection from the HR44. Last night my wife reported two shows in the recordings "list" which gave an error message "your receiver is not connected to the internet, and you cannot view this show." Now that it is forcing the recording to come from the satellite, I am hoping she will no longer run into any of this.

SMK

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It still sounds like you're doing a Smart Search instead of a Guide search. Can you post a step-by-step listing of how you're setting up your recordings?

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Posts #s 12, 13 and 15 of this thread are giving you the explanation you are looking for. This shouldn't happen if you use the Guide to program recordings, those posts make that clear, I think.

Rich

17. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Considering (as stated above) that I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER chosen to record one of these programs my wife watches on a channel with 4 digits (that is an On Demand channel with a 1 in front), I don't believe that posts 12, 13 or 15 explain anything. I thought I was very clear about what I was doing. I guess not.

I am not searching for these shows. I open the Guide which is set to "Custom 1." That Guide has NO On Demand channels in it. I manually set up recordings for shows my wife watches on 229, 231, and 232 for the upcoming week, NOT using any series recordings. They are all manual recordings for THAT ONE EPISODE.

My suspicion, now that I've been trying to deal with this for a while, is that if I use the guide to set up a manual recording for a "Chopped" episode tomorrow, but that episode of "Chopped" is available On Demand, it is automatically changing it to record the On Demand version now.

As I said, I have removed the ethernet cable, so the HR44 can no longer record On Demand episodes, and I expect this problem will go away, but I don't really understand why it is happening.

SMK

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got it. If that's the way you program the shows what you're seeing shouldn't happen. I've had a 44 for several years and I've never seen that happen.

Rich

Rich

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Your Custom 1 is what is displayed in your Guide. Not related to what your system will record. If you have a show set to record on 229 and it doesn't (bad weather, power outage, etc), then it can record from the On Demand if that is the next showing of what you had set up. Doesn't matter that you don't have On Demand on your Custom 1.

Do you have a lot of outages? That seems to be why your system is going to On Demand. If that gets solved, then maybe you won't have this problem?

Side note: Technically, what you're doing isn't a Manual record. You're just recording single episodes. A Manual Recording is when you set the channel and the start/stop time. You don't use the Guide for a Manual recording. You'll see the difference when you go to the Manual Recording menu under your HR44.

Rich likes this.
  20. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Edit: posted before I saw the above post about manual recordings.

You mention manual recordings. A manual recording is one where you go in and set the start time and end time to record a certain channel. Recording directly from the guide is just highlighting the show and pressing the red record button once to record just that episode or twice to record the series using the settings you have setup for series recordings (first run or all etc...). Which one of those methods are you using? When I go in and highlight the show and hit the record button one time I have never had it to record from the OnDemand channel instead of the channel selected.