Satellite View for Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by georgiadawg85, Aug 23, 2016.

1. georgiadawg85

georgiadawg85 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Atlanta, ga
    Hey All,

I know I should be fine, but I wanted to get you all's opinion before I have the tech come out and install. Does it appear (in the attached image) that I should be fine in regards to the view of the satellites?

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    With an SL3 lnb you should be fine.

3. georgiadawg85

georgiadawg85 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Atlanta, ga
    I dont know too much about this, but is that the typical dish that I will be provided by DTV?

4. georgiadawg85

georgiadawg85 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Atlanta, ga
    It seems all i should really need to see is 99, 101 and 103? 110 is no biggie right? It may be behind that branch...

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Slimline 3 does not even pick up 110 and 119 satellites.
    Looks good to me.

1 person likes this.
  6. georgiadawg85

georgiadawg85 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Atlanta, ga
    today is installation day. wish me luck. That tree is too close for comfort.

7. georgiadawg85

georgiadawg85 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Atlanta, ga
    no dice. apparently that app lies

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What exactly did the guy say? And how about from a different place?

9. georgiadawg85

georgiadawg85 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Atlanta, ga
    He said the tree to the right is in the way, and the actual sat. is directly in the middle of it. That is the only place it can be placed, as I am at an apt. complex. I'm so pissed at the app developer. And i paid for the stupid app

10. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Not sure which app you have. I use Satellite AR and it's pretty accurate. Did you do the figure eight move with your phone before you checked the location of the satellites?

11. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    That sucks! I know how you feel. I have been there before.

You may want to give a shot to PS Vue. Also, Directv's OTT service called Directv Now is coming by the end of the year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    while the app can be accurate to some degree, is not as accurate as the real instrument used by the techs.

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Compasses/Suunto-Tandem/Suunto-Tandem-360PC360RD1/

I also (used) to use the app to show folks when they had no LOS and you can see the inaccuracies. So they app while helpful, is not foolproof

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  13. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    The tech could also be wrong, saw the tree was close and didn't want to risk it being an issue.

Unless the tech actually puts in a dish to test the signal, they are guessing and their first statement is no LOS to get out of an install.

I would get a compass to check it and also look online for how to use the Sun (although spring & fall are better).

I've been told I had no LOS and I finally got them to put one in and my dish works fine. I was even told that on a repair recently when the dish has been working fine for years and just needed a new swm16.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Absolutely, you installers have the best equipment. I'm just saying that there are variances with the apps, and you should make sure to calibrate your phone with the figure eight move before using it.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    For $5 an app may or may not help. I have used a free app that doesn't have the sky view feature but what I liked about it was that it showed my position on aerial photos - so I had a better idea of if the phone knew where I was (and I did not rely on the phone's pitch sensor and compass to be accurate for a sky view).

Watching the pitch and compass on my phone jump around convinced me not to trust them 100%. Phones vary, but my phone's compass works best when the phone is nearly flat (aimed straight down) - not aimed up in the sky.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    absolutely! Although my post was no focused on a user but rather on the equipment being used. One is more reliable than the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    not quite. DIRECTV would be in lots of trouble if a tech put 10 holes on your roof only to tell you, sorry can't get a signal., the Suunto is a very precise piece of equipment. Obviously it needs a user who knows how to operate it properly. But if the Suunto is used properly there should be no doubt if it's readings.

I do agree with you that many installers use the NLOS to walk away from a job. But do not confuse this with negligence but rather laziness.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    remember that DIRECTV officially requires 10 degrees of clearance all around. So if is "too close for comfort" it may not go in.

19. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Especially at and apartment complex, as is the case with the OP...