1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite with Cable Failover

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by iamnotherbert, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1 of 15
    iamnotherbert

iamnotherbert Cool Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I'd like to rig my system such that I can failover to my basic cable service when my satellite signal drops. I'd like to do this without running dual RG6 lines from my basement (where both the Satellite and Cable feeds are dropped) to each TV. I'm willing to deal with some inconvenience.

This is my proposed solution:

1) Install a Coax A/B switch in the basement for each existing RG6 run that terminates at my TVs. Feed both the Satellite and Cable signal into the A/B switch.

2) Install a Coax splitter at the end of the RG6 run. Run one wire into the Dish DVR and another directly into the TV.

I'm guessing that with things rigged this way, all I should have to do is flick the A/B switches and then all the TVs would have basic cable service. Once the weather clears, flick back and I'm back to Dish.

Will this work? Do I need to worry about the MHz on the splitters? Is there a solution that doesn't involve a trip to the basement to flick the A/B switch?

(FWIW, I have basic cable because it is cheaper to have that bundled with Internet then just Internet. So I might as well see if I can make use of it. :))

2. Mar 9, 2009 #2 of 15
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Why don't you get one of these -
    http://www.smarthome.com/7717/Channel-Plus-Multi-Room-Video-Distribution-System-3025/p.aspx

, connect cable to the RF input, and your DBS receivers to the internal modulators. Then, if/when DBS goes out due to weather, you just have to change channels to the cable lineup.

BTW - I'm using one of these with OTA and it works quite well. When I first got DBS, locals weren't available on DBS yet, and I hadn't figured OTA reception yet, so I used this to do exactly what you're asking about.

3. Mar 9, 2009 #3 of 15
    iamnotherbert

Mar 9, 2009
    I should've also said that all TVs are HD with built-in QAM/NTSC tuners. Thus, I want the TVs to be able to get an HD signal from Dish (via the DVR) and a QAM/NTSC signal from the cable company. No reason I should be deprived of HD just 'cause the Dish signal drops. ;)

I know that another option would be to ignore my basic cable feed and setup HD antennas on each TV. Seems like a waste though, and I doubt I'll get a good antenna signal.

4. Mar 9, 2009 #4 of 15
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Trust me - Analog, digital - it doesn't matter to the passthru.

If you want HD signal from Dish, though - you need a Dish receiver at each location. And for that setup - you would want to run dual or at least diplexed cables anyway.

5. Mar 9, 2009 #5 of 15
    iamnotherbert

Mar 9, 2009
    That's the key. I do want HD signal from Dish, which is why your original suggestion wouldn't work, since I only want to deal with one RG6 run per TV.

A diplexer, huh? That's a new one to me. I see them at cablestogo.com for $15@. So you're saying that if I put a diplexer on each end of my RG6 run, I can feed it Dish and Cable on one side and have it split out on the other side, and not have to deal with an A/B switch? Cool. That might be worth the $60.

Has anyone else had success with this? I'm running a ViP 722 and a ViP 612.

6. Mar 9, 2009 #6 of 15
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Diplexing could work as long as all the signals on your cable system are below 900 MHz.

However, if you're using the 722 to run a second TV, there's a good chance that the TV2 output is already diplexed to feed the second TV. If it is, you won't be able to diplex two signals, so you'll either need to run a direct line to the 2nd TV, or run a second line to the 722's TV1 for cable.

7. Mar 9, 2009 #7 of 15
    iamnotherbert

Mar 9, 2009
    I can't find this information from Comcast. I found a set of 4 diplexers for $20 w/shipping, so I'm just going to try it and see.

I got the 722 for its PIP functionality, which works excellently.

Thanks for the replies. Diplexing the RG6 runs sounds like the answer.

8. Mar 9, 2009 #8 of 15
    iamnotherbert

Mar 9, 2009
    According to this link (will post in follow-up thread), diplexing may not be an option for me. Oh well, I already ordered the diplexers. I'll report back after I install them. Hopefully I didn't just blow $20.

9. Mar 9, 2009 #9 of 15
    iamnotherbert

Mar 9, 2009
    Link here.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You have to use Diplexers in pairs.

11. iamnotherbert

Mar 9, 2009
    I put the diplexers in last night and they work great! HD via Dish or Cable looks sharp. Too bad I can't reap the full financial benefit by canceling my local channel package. If I did that, I'd lose DVR capabilities for Network TV and I'd lose NESN and CSNNE.

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    That is a DishPro Plus seperator. Not the same thing as a diplexer. If you only have one RG6 cable running to your 722, you likely already have one of these installed.

13. iamnotherbert

Mar 9, 2009
    The documentation for the DishPro Plus separator that I linked to states:

However, this is misleading. I believe it means to warn you about diplexing the signal after it leaves the separator. However, I found other Dish documentation for installers that clearly shows that diplexers can be installed before the separator. And my personal case study also validates this.

To restate, I'm now diplexing the Cable and Satellite signals upon entry into the house. From there, I run single RG6 runs to my two viewing areas. I diplex it back, sending the cable signal to regular tuners and the satellite signal to a DishPro Plus separator, and then finally to the Dish DVRs. One of my TVs has a QAM/NTSC tuner, and has no problem with the HD content from the Cable system.

Thus, I can now switch between HD in Cable and HD on Satellite without issue, while only running a single RG6 run from my basement (where all signals enter the house) to each A/V system. :D

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You did it right - Glad it worked out for you.

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I use both diplexors and the DPP Separator and have no problems. The statement: "Do not install the DP Plus Separator between diplexers. " means exactly what it says. Perhaps restating it in the positive would be more clear:
    Be sure to place the DPP Separator on the DBS side of any diplexor. i.e. do not use a combined feed line (OTA antenna & DBS satellite) without first "filtering out" the OTA with a diplexor.