1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satlink WS-6906 Meter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by onearweiner, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1 of 12
    onearweiner

onearweiner New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    New guy here.

Has anyone tried one of these Satlink WS-6906 meters? For my RV setup with a slimline dish and swm3 I really don't need a meter, but I screw around enough with an old BUD that for $100 I think it would be neat to have around. I wonder if it would work for directv and if it would require the ASL-1. I know that the accutrac22 or digisat III pro are proven economical options. The Satlink WS-6906 are all over ebay and satpro.tv are selling them.

2. brad97

brad97 New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Seattle
    I can't mine to work on any of the DirecTV satellites. It's useless junk until we get some U.S. support.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Well, it's a junk for those who don't know a damn thing about difference of DTV DSS and world DVB-S signals.

4. brad97

brad97 New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Seattle
    I also have the same problem. Even though I hand loaded the parameters for the DTV satellites, I still can't see them with my meter. Has anyone had any success getting this meter to see the U.S. satellites?

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Loading the parameters for Directv's satellites won't help if the meter can't handle DSS, which it can't.

6. Oct 1, 2016 #6 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    same for Ka/Ku DVB-S2D,
    what is modified [AMC enforced] world standard become non-standard for such meters in USA

7. Oct 1, 2016 #7 of 12
    slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What is the difference between Directv's DVB-S2D and standard DVB-S2?

8. Oct 1, 2016 #8 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    using "AMC" - see DTV patent

9. Oct 2, 2016 #9 of 12
    slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Do you have a patent number for the one you're talking about?

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if I will find papers what I printed a few years ago... you could easily reproduce my steps eg find it in Internet ;)

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I did some digging around last night after seeing your post, and while I could find some patents mentioning AMC i.e. Advanced Modulation/Coding (like in Directv's original HMC patent) I couldn't find anything specifically detailing it. So if you could dig up that patent number it would be much appreciated!

One thought though - Directv has used various tuner chips from multiple vendors in their HD receivers over the year, none of which specifically call out DVB-S2D support like they do DSS support. So it is interesting that even hardware using the same tuner chips as in Directv hardware can't handle DVB-S2D - they can't even demodulate to the point of calculating BER / CNR. There may be some initial settings required on the chip's registers to handle DVB-S2D, and no one has cared enough to figure out what they are. Since the video is scrambled in a whole separate layer dependent on the access card, the only commercial gain from decoding DVB-S2D would be the ability to make a meter that can show CNR for Directv's Ka transponders. Directv already has the AIM, so the market for such a widely interoperable meter would be pretty small.

Directv is part owner of the DVB-S2 patent licensing pool (perhaps via their past ownership by Hughes?) so they may have more flexibility to depart from the standard than other licensees - often patent licenses require adherence to published standards to preserve interoperability.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You/re right on all counts, the designator "D" has been added by Lyngsat to distinguish WW DVB-S2 signals from DTV's DVB-S2 + AMC mix.
    The company (IMO, over paranoid) keep own card close to a chest, hence using additional level of protection at RF modulation level.