1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Save to VCR"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TAJ2, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAJ2

TAJ2 Mentor

Sep 11, 2006
    Just got the HR20 yesterday and am still trying to get used to it. I can't find the "Save to VCR" function that is on my HR10. Is it still possible to burn programs to DVD?

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes, once you have them recorded on the HR20, simply "play them", and pick the video off one of the HR20 outputs, like S-Video with 2 channel audio. Feed to your DVD burner and away you go. I have done it many times.

That said, they should have a "tune to" menu selection in the HR20 (they don't), so we don't have to go through the extra step of recording, then playing back. If it had "tune to", then we could set our DVD player to record at the same time as the HR20 tune to, and it would all be done automagically.

For now, there is no other "easy" solution. There is a trick where you can set up two recordings...so that the 2nd recording shows up on the "display" tuner, but it is a PITA to have to do that as well.

The first recording you set up for a given time slot always goes to the "background" tuner...so you can't burn the DVD that way. But...if you set up a 2nd recording that starts just after the 1st recording starts, then the HR20 will tune to the channel selected by the 2nd recording and display it (because the background tuner is busy doing the "dummy" recording).

Still a PITA, but it can be done.

The "tune to" feature is on the "request list"...who knows if or when it will be implemented.

3. TAJ2

TAJ2 Mentor

Sep 11, 2006
    Thanks for the answer.

I burn a lot of movies to DVD so I can watch them when I travel, etc.

One more question: I have a Panny DVD recorder which allows me to record anything and everything from the HR10 - including PPV movies; is this still the case with the HR20?

Thanks

4. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes, all video outputs of the HR20 are "live" all the time...what is sent to them, however is always "live" or "what you are watching"...

Another trick I didn't mention is to manually tune your HR20 to the channel you want to record and then set your DVD burner to record it...but if you forget to change channels...well....another coaster!

5. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Be warned that without a "Save to VCR" mode like the TiVo has (which prevents several remote keys from interrupting playback during the "save" operation), buttons on the HR20 remote will always be active, so the playback could be interrupted or you could bring up the menu or other on-screen graphics if you're dumping to DVD and are not careful.

6. SuperTech1

SuperTech1 Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Another warning about "live" recording. If you have closed captions on they will be on your recording.
    Also if you have Caller ID enabled and you receive a call during the playback it will also be on your recording.
    I usually set mine up for a time when I will be away so I don't accidentally forget and hit the remote.
    :)

7. TAJ2

TAJ2 Mentor

Sep 11, 2006
    Thanks for all the tips.

I still have my HR10 which for the time being will still be used to record and burn but with that not being able to get MPEG4 feeds I will eventually have to connect the DVD recorder to my HR20.

Does anyone know if the "Save to VCR/DVD" will ever become part of the HR20?

8. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Does this mean that you must watch the recorded program while you are burning it from the tuner?

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes, it does...and that's why it's a PITA.

Simply adding the "tune to" feature avoids all of these problems, so you can record the program "live" the first time, when you aren't there, and don't have to "trick" the HR20 into doing it, or preset the HR20 to the desired channel before going to bed, or lose the use of your HR20 during the day....it's nuts not having the "tune to" like my Sammy 360 had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.