saving recent PTAT shows to EHD

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by 4HiMarks, Mar 10, 2016.

1. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    The HD on my Hopper is failing and I have an install for a Hopper 3 scheduled for Friday morning (tomorrow if you're reading this on 3/10). I have moved all of the older stuff I have recorded to an external HD in preparation.

However, newer shows that were "saved" from PTAT and are still in the 8 day buffer can't be moved. This includes the latest episodes of several shows I am weeks behind on and want to watch in order, so I can't just "watch everything now". There just aren't enough hours in the day. Is there anything I can do to get those new shows on my new Hopper 3 or will they be lost forever?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    You have to change the PTAT retain setting to 2 days instead of 8. May not help now.

3. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I didn't know the retain time could be changed.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You can pick the number of days, just like you can pick the networks for the night... but I don't know what happens to already existing recordings. Going forward, the next night after you reduce the number of days, those should be fine... but ones already on your DVR before you change the setting *might* retain their 8 day expiration until they hit it. Someone with more Hopper experience here will have to chime in on that, though.

5. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Well, I'll be. I didn't know you could select only some networks ether. I just set it when I got the thing and left it. When did all these options get added, or was I just not looking in the right place?

6. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Is it possible to deactivate the old Hopper, keep it, move what you want to the EHD at a more advantageous time and then mail back the old Hopper?

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Those choices have been there since day 1.

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    As long as the recordings have been saved to the "My Recordings" folder they will be fine. Only the PTAT folder copies are deleted.

9. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    What does this mean? Fine for what? Will I be able to move them to the external HD?

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Once you deactivate the Hopper, it will no longer be able to access the EHD since it will no longer be on your account. You have to archive everything to the EHD before you deactivate the old Hopper.

Well... not exactly. I'm pretty sure on day 1 you had PTAT for 8 days on all 4 networks... but then they quickly added the ability to change the number of days and eliminate some networks. I just can't remember how long after the initial launch these new features came about.

That's not the whole question, though... Recordings that were already made with the 8-day setting, I have a sneaking suspicion that those specific recordings still might take 8 days to "save" even after you make the changes to the settings. I say this because of a similar but different thing that happened recently. In my DMA, the local NBC and CBS stations swapped affiliations at the end of February. NBC has no delay for AutoHop while CBS has a week delay... but for a couple of days after the network affiliation swap, until Dish followed with the next uplink report and changed the network affiliation flags... people in my DMA were getting AutoHop on CBS recordings immediately, and not on NBC. Once Dish made that change in the uplink, all recordings going forward worked as expected BUT those already on the DVR for CBS still had their AutoHop even though they shouldn't have and NBC recordings that should have had them had to wait 8 days until they got them, because the recordings themselves were still flagged before the settings changed. Or so I'm told by people in the area who have Hoppers.

So... that led me to speculate other behaviors for PTAT recordings might follow suit... so an 8-day-to-expire recording might stay 8 days before "saving" even if you go and change that expiration to 2 days for new recordings thereafter. I haven't been able to ask anyone to test that as yet to see, though.