Saw from a mile off: Disney+ crashed (burns?) on rollout

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by 1948GG, Nov 12, 2019.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Add to the list of 'not a good idea' that I think everybody in the streaming world saw as a major multi-train wreak, trying to full launch today resulted in exactly what folks expected. See multiple news stories.

2. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I'm watching Star Wars at the moment.

3. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I watched all 3 Iron Man movies today. Some of the menu's had issues but the search function worked fine and was able to get to everything I wanted to today.

4. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Seems like people that signed up a few months ago for the 2 and 3 year deal are having issues. I just got three emails with my supposed 6 digit email verification code. Downside is that the code is only good for 15 minutes. I'm guessing these are the codes from when I tried logging in 6 hours ago so they are no good. As I've been saying for awhile, they should have released the apps a long time ago and just dumped people to countdown clock after they signed in.

5. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I signed up a few months ago for the 3 year $4 per month deal. I had one minor issue today that resolved itself after about an hour or so. So far it’s been excellent running on ATV 4k, 2 FireTV Stick 4ks, 2 Nvidia Shields, 2 Toshiba FireTV Edition TVs, an iPhone, and an iPad. As far as major first day launches this one is going pretty well for me.

6. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I think classifying it as a "major multi-train wreck" is exaggerating just a little bit. The login issues have been unfortunate, and potentially avoidable. But it's far from a disaster.

espaeth, Rich and mjwagner like this.
  7. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Looks like their email validation system finally caught up and I was able to get a code and get logged in. Even after being in the queue for almost 6 hours, I was never able to get through to an agent on their chat system.

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    On my AppleTV it was just install the app and used the email/password I had on d23.com it and all worked fine. No validation code or anything else was needed.

On my Roku it installed and let me log in but it wasn’t actually working well from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mjwagner likes this.
  9. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    It took me a little while this morning to get everything up and running this morning, but I was able to get all my devices updated and working fine by about 9:00 CST. I have 2 Apple TV's, 2 Roku Sticks, 2 Roku TV's and 3 LG OLED's that needed to be updated and they all work fine. The only problem I have, and it is a minor one I'll admit, is that there is no Thor or Captain America icon to customize my profile !
    Picture quality on both my Roku sticks and Apple TV's with 4K and HDR is excellent. For 5 bucks/month that I paid for the 3 year deal, I am well satisfied.

mjwagner likes this.
  10. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Problems made the evening news on Disney owned abc. Obviously, folks milage may vary, some not seeing much of any probs, others seeing massive failures. A 'soft' launch may have been a better way to go, like other services have done.

AngryManMLS likes this.
  11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Should have done people who signed up in august and before two weeks ago and anyone from September to November last week and then open to everyone else this week...

12. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I watched Captain Marvel, Rogue One, an episode of Runaways, and the Christmas movie Noelle (cute) - all in 4K.
    I had probably 18-20 dropouts during those hours. Not too surprising I think. It will most likely get better as the initial rush wears off.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We have used the app and had no problems. Good picture. Kinda wish we hadn't bought most of the movies I see listed on this app.

Rich

14. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    There's still a part of me that likes to have physical media of my most-enjoyable movies and shows on hand. We pay for content that we'll never own. As enjoyable as the access is, it could all go away, also.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not physical. Bought them on iTunes. Had hundreds of DVDs a few years ago and gave them all away. Kinda like what happened with tapes and CDs. Not planning on building up another pile of discs that I'm gonna give away. I just found almost two hundred more DVDs in a rack the other day. Have to find a home for them.

Rich

B. Shoe likes this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When Apple TVs went 4K iTunes upgraded most of the movies we had in our library to 4K. Upgrade cost nothing. Perhaps they will future proof all movies bought from them.

Rich

B. Shoe likes this.
  17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    As a youngster I went to the movies at least once a week. I worked as a movie usher in my college years and really enjoyed that job. In later life, though, I have purchased a total of three DVD's and rented perhaps a dozen more.

18. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    All kinds of reviews over the last couple days, most that are not simply repeating disney press releases are heavy in the rollout criticism.

And then today many news outlets are reporting that folks brand new 3 day old accounts are being hacked and sold on the open market.

19. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Yawn.

Anyone who has played World of Warcraft, Simcity (2013), Diablo 3 (and it's infamous Error 37), Anarchy Online, or Steam & Half Life 2, The Division, or any major online game at launch are familiar with server load issues. Disney+ is no different where reality exceeds expectations.

20. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anyone get a free year of Disney+ from Verizon?