1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Say goodbye to your waiter...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Jan 14, 2012.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From Tablet computers take wait out of waiting tables:
    So how are all those out-of-work actors going to make a living???

2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    By becoming better actors.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
  4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Somebody still has to bring the food to the table and refill the drinks...

5. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Is the tip percentage now smaller (since the server is doing less work?) :lol:

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    They barely refill drinks now. :(

7. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And in some restaurants some other employee brings out the food from the kitchen.

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    No refills = no tip in my world.

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    But that is still a person... So it isn't like they can just fire everybody but the chef.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    They still have wait staff. But about half the number one would expect for the number of tables.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Imagine what would happen if the server got bongoleated.

12. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    I recall a conversation I had with an associate director at Stanford admissions when I first arrived. We began to discuss economic trends, and how my Dad, who came to this country without a high school education, was able to earn a pretty good living through a union job at the steel mill. And how much more difficult that was becoming.

Today, a new hire at GM in Detroit makes 50% less than a legacy worker at the same firm.

It's a race to the bottom, and it's not a race we, as a nation, should want to win.

I've had my problems with President Obama, but I do applaud his recent populist streak. Not enough, but better than his first 2.5 years.

There is no reason, no excuse, for this nation to not be able to provide a dignified living for every high school graduate. And if it necessitates a MASSIVE fiscal transfer program, so be it.

It's who we are. It's what we aspire to.

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I think the tablet computer would work at fast food franchises (Burger King, McDonalds, ect.) Placing a order for customers at these establishments is trigonometry for the counter help they have been employing lately.

14. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Actually, there IS a reason that not every high school graduate can earn a dignified living. The reason is that the frictional cost of international trade has gotten so low that manufacturing labor that previously was performed here by scarce United States workers can now be performed by abundant, less expensive foreign workers.

I had the good fortune of entering the workforce at the time when wages for unskilled and semi-skilled workers were peaking. In the fall of 1973, I had a grueling job in a tannery that paid about $13,000 a year, which was double the starting salary for a high school teacher in that area. A decade later, a tannery worker made less than a teacher, and last year, the last of the U.S. domestic plants operated by that company closed, notwithstanding he fact that its laborers were getting paid half as much in constant dollars as I was back in 1973.

France and Greece implemented a solution to this problem. They started limiting the length of permissible workweeks. That is what they are burdened with now and it is something we ridicule and vilify them for. Germany just announced this past week that it is going to start doing the same thing.

15. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I keep telling my wife that I am going to make up business cards to give to servers that show them the "grades" for tips. For example, you start at 15%. If my drink is empty and stays that way for too long, you lose 3%. If you walk by my table when I need something and don't make eye contact, you lose 3%. If you keep my drink filled before it is empty, you gain 3%. If another person brings out the food, if you stop by quickly to make sure everything came out right, you gain 3%, etc....

Wife tells me she won't go out to dinner with me if I do this. :eek2:

16. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    While I don't disagree in principal, it has to start with every high school graduate being willing to work. A friend of mine is in the coal business. He tells me at any time he has plenty of $20+/hour jobs. But 90% of the applicants can't pass the drug screening. How is a massive fiscal transfer going to fix that?

Second issue. Too many high school grads are going to college, and even graduating. There are not enough jobs for these college graduates, but businesses tend to hire them over HS grads simply because they went to college. Many of these jobs could easily be done by HS grads, but they aren't available to them. I am not saying people should not try to get as much education as they can, but they need to be realistic about who they are and what their abilities are and pursue a career that is suitable for them.

17. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    We have a C-Store chain around here called Sheetz. They have exactly that. You walk up to a terminal and place your own order on a touchscreen. Then go get your drink and pay at the register. The Pick Up window calls your order # when it is ready. Never had them get my order wrong.

18. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I read about this quite a while ago and can't recall where, but there is a Food Court in a mall somewhere in the US that has menus for each Food Court restaurant embedded into the table. Users with NFC-enabled Android phones "touch" their phone to the menu and the menu is transferred to the phone, the user becomes a customer as the user places a food order and pays for it on the phone, and the phone then tells the customer when the order is ready to be picked up.

I think the above is a perfect implementation of "waiter-less" payment and ordering service (it's a self-service environment, after all) but would not want to do this in any 3- to 5-start restaurant...

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    In addition... A lot of people think some jobs are beneath their stature and do not want to do them even if they paid well.

Notably... Nobody wants to be a trash collector, but everyone generates trash and wants someone else to handle it... I always hate when people look down on other hard working people because they perceive that job as being for lesser people.

20. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That's too bad. My sister-in-law's brother works for Waste Management. He started as a garbage truck guy. His starting pay in that position was a little over $60K per year. With the incessant overtime, he almost always cleared $80K. Moreover, that job is far easier today because everything is almost totally automated. The cans are all supposed to have grips on them that the trucks now grab, pick up, and dump into the back pit. Then the truck puts the can down and moves to the next one. Only odd objects have to be manually picked up.

After working as a trash collector for several years, he moved into the company's management where he now earns a nice, six figure salary.