1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saying goodbye… for now.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tom Servo, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 17
    Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    It is with great sadness that I have to be saying goodbye to DirecTV for a while.

I've had service with them for 12 years and after hitting some hard times not too long ago, moved back in with *gasp* my parents. Who, I might add, were more than happy to have me bring over my D* subscription so they could finally upgrade to the world of HDTV.

I was happy to no longer have to be paying for it, they were happy because the PQ and choice were really good. Win-win.

Well, my father finally retired and bought a house down in coastal Alabama. It's pretty nice and I've tagged along since the job prospects here are a lot better than just about anywhere in Mississippi. Unfortunately, the only house he found suitable is on a lightly wooded lot, surrounded by dense woods. Which block the view of the satellites. :mad:

He's obviously not willing to fell any trees on his slice of paradise and I can't fault him for that — it's really a nice piece of land. A good, competent tech came out a few days ago and did a lot of bird dogging only to come to the same conclusion I did: there's nowhere, not even on the roof, where we'd be able to see the 101° sat.

So with that, my tenure with DirecTV is at an end. :(

I say "for now", though, because I think once my father finds out how bad the local municipal-run cable is, he make reconsider a tree trimming or two. ;)

I already did the math and he'll be paying exactly the same as we did with DirecTV — $91/mo. — for nearly half the SD and ¼ the HD channels. But he seems adamant in not mounting a dish on the roof or doing any tree work.

I just want to thank all of you who have been so helpful and entertaining over the years; if not for this site I may have dumped D* a long time ago over simple problems that the customer no-service people would not have been able to fix. So, kudos to you. :goodjob:

Losing a lot of great high def programming and a nice big DVR is at least tempered by being in a town where there's a lot to do, good restaurants, lots of interesting people and most importantly, good job prospects.

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 17
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I'm really sorry to see you go, Tom. Hopefully, you'll be able to return to DirecTV soon-either due to the circumstances you have described or because you'll get such a good job that you'll be able to move back out on your own (I know what it can be like to be a boomerang child!)

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 17
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Tom, sorry to hear that you will have to give up DirecTV for a while.

Good Luck!

4. Nov 7, 2010 #4 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sorry to see you go. You are certainly not alone in this economy. Any thoughts to just suspending your account for six months in case (1) you get back on your feet and relocate to your own place or (2) your father hates his cable so much he decides to take out a few trees?

5. Nov 7, 2010 #5 of 17
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Lots of luck hopefully we will see you soon

6. Nov 7, 2010 #6 of 17
    mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Lots of luck sir. Just because you're out of DirecTV for the moment, that doesn't mean you can't hang around here! ;)

7. Nov 7, 2010 #7 of 17
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    We'll keep the lights on ..

8. Nov 7, 2010 #8 of 17
    Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I thought about that, but this is CenturyLink phone territory and if he or I decide to get back with D* we'll do it through them for a bundling discount. And at least for him, he'd technically be a new customer, so he'd be eligible for those incentives. :)

9. Nov 7, 2010 #9 of 17
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I'd trade DirecTV for a place in Gulf Shores any day of the week :). Watching the sun come up on the gulf is one of the best "HD pictures" I've ever seen...

Good luck in the job hunt!

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I agree. I used to vacation there every year, until the last hurricane took all the beachfront motels about 10 miles inland.

Nothing like a day on Ship Island...

11. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Best of luck to you!!!!

12. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Good luck. Hope you find a job soon. We'll look for you back here sooner rather than later.... :D

13. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    If Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is where the OP is heading, he should check out the Turquoise condo development. With the discounts they are offering you could pick up a two-bedroom unit with hot tub on the balcony for around $1.2 mil. ;)

14. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I would try the roof.. especially since you are pointing the dish HIGHER in the sky.. my house is SURROUNDED BY TREES.. and bluffs.. and yet.. I have a clear signal. very, very clear..

don't discount it untill the installer says no...

15. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Nah, in Tom Servo's honor, we'll turn down our lights (where applicable).

16. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Oh, is that all? I'll pick one up for me, one for the parents and one as a spare. :p

The installer did say no and the homeowner did say "no holes in the roof, period."

:D

17. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    If you get a place right on the beach you won't have to mess with the Foley Beach Express. ;)