Scam involving "huge discounts" for Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GordonT, Jun 14, 2017.

1. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    I received an unsolicited phone call today purporting to be from Directv, offering me a very significant discount. Since I have never received a call like this in over 20 years as a D* customer, my suspicion meter began to go off. I'm also originally from Missouri.
    The call was to my cell phone and came from 800-631-5000. The caller asked how my Directv service was working, and I said fine. Since I had a service call in the past 2 weeks, I at first thought this was a followup call, so I was not suspicious at this point. However, the next thing that came up was that I had been selected to receive a significant discount that would last for 2 years. Without going into details, it would have reduced my monthly bill by over 50%. Now I am in severe skeptic mode. Initially, the person on the call quoted me the new monthly charge, and due to the low number, I asked him what package his records showed I currently have. His answer was incorrect, so now I'm almost 100% sure this is bogus, but I informed him that his answer was wrong, and that I would like to talk to someone in Customer Service to verify what was going on. He gave me 888-200-7081. This doesn't match the number that I call for Directv 800-353-4388, but I thought maybe this was merely a different front end number. I called this number and asked them what package I had; the person on the other end didn't name the package, but he gave an amount for my most recent bill which was correct, or at least within a couple of dollars.

At this point, I asked what the catch was, and I was told that it wasn't a catch, but that I would have to pay the first 4 months of the new billing amount in advance using Amazon gift cards!
    So now, I'm trying not to laugh, and I tell him that I can't talk any longer right now because I need to run to the store (true), and that I need to do a little checking into this (also true) and that I would call back tomorrow.

After getting back from the store, I called the "real" Directv number and asked to speak to Billing customer service. I described what had happened and they confirmed that this was indeed a scam and that they were aware of it. I thanked him and told him that I was planning on calling them back tomorrow and having some fun with them. He laughed.

I hope this helps someone less skepical/cynical than myself from falling prey to this scheme. Maybe I'll update it tomorrow after I speak with them again.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    I saw that other thread, but I thought it was discussing a different type of scam. They both suck, though.

4. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    I hate scammers as much as the next guy, but if someone seriously thinks they can cut their bill in half by pre-paying with Amazon gift cards they are in desperate need of some life experience.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    "....the person on the other end didn't name the package, but he gave an amount for my most recent bill which was correct, or at least within a couple of dollars."

Which was it?

I do wonder how they can spoof the real numbers for real companies.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you can spoof you can spoof any number you want. My favorites are more obvious (such as "00000000" or "+11574xxxxxxx" where the numbers are invalid).

I tried to set up unfiltered Caller ID with my local phone company for the company where I work and was asked to sign an agreement that I would never send a Caller ID that was not "owned" by our company. We ended up getting filtered Caller ID with the phone company blocking any numbers not on our pre-approved list ($200 fee for each change to the list). We did have one provider who did not filter Caller ID and I was able to send any number. I believe some of the VOIP providers do not filter Caller IDs.

Fraud is fraud ... the criminals might as well commit multiple crimes while they are committing one. I wish there was more a consumer could do about it other than remain vigilant and not accept deals unless they are able to call back in to a known number to verify who they are speaking to. If the deal expires when you hang up the phone let it expire.

Having the amount of the most recent bill is concerning. They would need to get that from AT&T|DIRECTV or through however the payment was made. There have been scams where callers had enough access to DIRECTV information to con their mark into accepting a deal.

7. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I called DirecTV a couple of years ago when I got one of these obviously fraud calls. They recommended putting a voice password on my account to prevent any changes being made without my approval. I just have to remember the password. :D

8. midnight rider

midnight rider New Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Just wanted to comment that this is still happening and I almost fell for it. Mostly because my guard was down after dealing with Directv for the past week trying to get them to remove the POS wireless Genie system and go back to wired for no cost. The number they told me to call this weekend was 1-888-654-1996.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    These scammers never stop. I have no idea how many numbers I have blocked on my phone, let me see if it tells me that...doesn't display that info and it's too many too count (lazy, I am) but the list just goes on and on.

Rich

10. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    The worst part is that they can now spoof their callerID number by using VOIP and using proxies which change their number. I get calls on my cell phone from local numbers and when I call them back the people who answer are just normal folk and have no idea their number is being used. And, I just got a call last week from a guy who said that I had just called his number - but I hadn't. Now the games really begin...

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got one of them the other day. Guy left a nasty voicemail message. Told me to stop calling him. Really angry.

I get local calls everyday. I don't answer them anymore. I have all my contacts on ringtones and the default is quack, quack, etc. I hear the phone quacking and if I'm sure I'm not expecting a call I just let it go to voicemail. I used to get calls from all over but now most are local.

Rich

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I get multiple local bs calls every day, even on Sunday. I answer with "WHAT, Why are you calling me". 99 % of the time the phone goes dead.

13. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I'm not a telephone technical guy but I believe that if the phone companies, etc. wanted to stop the spoofing they actually could. The whole mechanism for reporting and going after robo and other calls doesn't work. If the desire was to stop it it could be done - my opinion

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have the impression that they wait to hear the gender and if it is male they hang up. I get the gender thing every time I need a contractor too. They always ask if my wife will be present when they arrive. I was looking for just a handyman for a simple job a couple years ago. Just wanted some windows framed out. Estimated about an $1100 cost for the job. The contractor comes in for the estimate and immediately focuses on my wife. He's wearing a tool belt and hard hat. For an estimate.

I just stood back and watched. In minutes he had that job costing about 5 grand. I asked my wife to leave the room and told the guy exactly what I wanted done. That started an argument and I asked him to leave. Couple days later I got a couple carpenters to do the job for $1100. Obviously gender matters to these contractors...and phone scammers.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup. Someone should be able to stop them. And yet, nothing changes.

Rich

16. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Anybody ever tried the "Should I Answer?" app? I don't know if there's an iPhone version or not.

But it has an option in there to block calls from numbers that aren't already on your contact list. When this option is selected and a call comes in from a number not in your contact list, the caller goes immediately to voice mail. This might be a decent option for avoiding calls from people you don't know.

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I think there is an app for that on iPhones. But the reality is that all of these scammers spoof a lot of numbers, so the number that appears isn't real to start with. Hell, I get calls from my own number now and then!

Sent from my Google Pixelbook using Tapatalk

18. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I use TrueCaller app on my iphone

19. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Well, that's kind of the beauty of this app. If the app flat out rejects (doesn't ring) calls if the number that the call is originating from (even the spoofed number) isn't already listed in your contacts.

I might have 50 to 100 numbers in my contact list. With this app, my phone would only ring if I receive a call from one of hose 50 or 100 numbers. Is there a chance that a scammer might spoof one of those numbers? Sure. But it's a small chance.

242424 likes this.
  20. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida

My funniest experience with the spam/spoofed calls was I recently got a call from ME (my own number) telling me I "was drawn for a free Marriott weekend" because I recently stayed at a MARRIOTT (I didn't)! They use your local exchange to make you think it is "local." My cell is 908-377-xxxx" and just about every day I still get a random 908-377-xxxx call (despite the fact I now live in FL).

DrummerBoy523 likes this.