1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

schedule recordings by sports team?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ironduke2010, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Cool Member

Apr 16, 2010
    i'm new to directv having been a tivo customer for years. one of the things i'd like to do with directv is to, in tivo parlance, create a season pass for some of the soccer teams i'd like to follow. as some of you soccer fans may know, these euro teams play not only in their league, but also in various tournaments. directv carries various league and tournament games on many different channels, including those uefa and la liga channels that only broadcast when there is a game.

on tivo, i could just create a keyword season pass recording that would basically say "record everything that says 'real madrid'" and, no matter what competition (la liga, champions league, copa del rey, etc.), and no matter what channel (goltv, fsc, fsn etc.) tivo would just find it and record it.

is this something i can do with directv, or at least come close?

2. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    Sorry, you can't do this (at least not that I've ever seen). DirecTV's DVR software needs a series title in order to record all instances of a specific show. Unfortunately, this means you'll have to do a search periodically for the team you want and manually set those to record.

3. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Besides, how do you deal with recording conflicts?

With Center Ice I record every Sabres game and watch them after everyone goes to bed (in peace and quiet). Sometimes I find that the recording will conflict with two things already scheduled. Thankfully most of the conflicts are Discovery/TLC/Food Network etc in which at least one of the conflicts can be moved to later in the night.

Not sure how that would work if you set it up to record automatically.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Incorrect, you can easily do a keyword search for a sports team. You can make it better using the boolean operators.

Example: AALL Red Wings Live NNOT Post CCHAN 663 664

Will pick up all live Red Wing games but not the Post game show (which is called Red Wings Live) on channels 663 and 664. Set it to autorecord and you're done. Or leave it as a saved search that you check every couple weeks and one touch record whichever games you want.

Piece of cake. ;)

5. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    That's not what the OP is asking. He is asking if he can record all instances of a specific keyword. You can't do that with DirecTV's DVR software.

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Sure you can, do a Keyword search and set the search to autorecord. Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes you can, with boolean searches like this:

AALL Real Madrid Live NNOT Post CCHAN 400 700

8. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    I have at least a few set up and working right now. As Bonscott said, unless I/we are missing something you can set up autorecords like the OP wants to do. You can do keyword searches or use the boolean operators as described.

The thread below has more info on using boolean operators:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132971

9. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    I stand corrected. I just tried this and did not know you could record a keyword search.

10. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Cool Member

Apr 16, 2010

awesome! i believe this is just what i was looking for. as for conflicts, i assume that's where the priorities come in.

a big thanks to everyone on this thread!