Scheduling programs via the DTV web page

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rbpeirce, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1 of 16
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    This works fine at my PA location but not at all in VA. When you schedule a program using DTV's web page, does it get scheduled via the sat or the internet? My internet connection is up all the time in PA but only when I am actually in VA. It dawned on me today that might be the reason.

2. Apr 7, 2016 #2 of 16
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My DVR is not connected to the internet at all and neither is my TV.
    I can go on the web via my computer or the ipad app and schedule a program to record.
    I have to assume from that, the internet gets the request from your device to DirecTV and then DirecTV sends the signal to your DVR using the satellite.

3. Apr 7, 2016 #3 of 16
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If I remember correctly, you were setting up an account for your VA (temp) location.

So to ask the obvious, you are logging on to your VA account on the DIRECTV web site and not your PA account, correct?

4. Apr 8, 2016 #4 of 16
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I called DTV and they say this requires the internet to be up. They don't use SAT. I'm not sure why Jimmie57 is able to make this work unless either I don't understand what he is doing or he doesn't understand what I am trying to do.

I am either in PA trying to schedule something on my VA account or in VA trying to schedule something on my PA account, or in some other location trying to schedule one or the other. PA always works and the internet is always up. VA has seemed to work but it turns out that was only when I was actually there and the internet was up. Next trip I am going to leave my router running when I leave to see what happens.

5. Apr 8, 2016 #5 of 16
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Did you check out post #3 to be sure you are logging into the correct account when you are scheduling ?

I assure you I am not connected to the internet with my DTV receiver or my TV.
    When I try to play certain channels live and they don't play on my ipad I get a message that says something like this, "Your DVR must be connected to the internet to play this channel".

I have also scheduled recordings from the web for years.

Try naming your DVRs with a unique name like add the VA or PA to the name if you can. If you can't do that change the room that they say they are in.
    Then when you click on a program to record and it pops up with the choices of where to record you will see if it is trying to schedule the right DVR.

6. Apr 8, 2016 #6 of 16
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I have separate logins and separate accounts with separate email addresses. One doesn't know about the other. On the rare occasion when I have been in VA and needed to schedule something there it has worked, probably because my internet connection is up.

I am in PA right now. As a test I have disconnected my internet cable from my Genie, logged on to the DTV web site and scheduled three shows, two at 6PM and one at 7:30. None have shown up in my ToDo list as yet and it is 5:56. Stay tuned.

7. Apr 8, 2016 #7 of 16
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Nothing appeared in my ToDo list and the two 6PM shows failed to record.

I reconnected to the internet and scheduled a fourth show. It showed up in the ToDo list almost immediately.

There may be something else going on but this is clearly one of my problems.

8. Apr 8, 2016 #8 of 16
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Why are you turning off your router when you leave VA? You're obviously not shutting the power off since you expect your DVR to record while you're absent.

9. Apr 8, 2016 #9 of 16
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I have everything plugged into a power conditioning unit. Some of the plugs stay on if the unit is off. Some don't. I had the Genie stay on because I thought recording requests came down from the sat. I turned the router off because I thought I didn't need it. I will change the plug the next time I get to VA.

I still want to turn off the surround sound system and the TV.

10. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I don't know if DTV changed its scheduling procedure but I didn't get an email on any of my requests. I had been getting them on my VA requests. Maybe they were too immediate. It doesn't matter since it appears keeping the internet up will solve my problem.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sometimes they do not show up in the To Do List.
    Check the Guide and see if it has the Record mark in there.

12. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    The one I scheduled when connected to the internet did show up in the ToDo list almost Immediately.

In my experience, if it isn't in the ToDo lis it doesn't record.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Just for the heck of it,
    what if the cookies on your computer are causing the problem ?
    Can you find the DirecTV cookies and delete them and then try to schedule ?

14. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Probably, but I confirmed being connected to the internet works and I have internet in both locations so my problem is solved.
    Also, I don't think it is a cookie issue because last month I received confirming email from DTV that the programs had been scheduled to record and they showed up in the list on the website but they did not actually record because my router was turned off.

15. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Is the power to the SWM being turned off while you are gone from one site or the other? The receiver may still be on, but if the SWM is turned off,, there is no signal to record. And the record information is via the satellite, not the internet. I live in a rural area, with no internet connection, and the scheduling works fine for me.

1 person likes this.
  16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I can confirm that scheduling satellite based programming is done via satellite. However if your are scheduling VOD shows, internet would be required for those.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk