1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scheduling service to be cancelled in advance

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by woodardhsd, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1 of 44
    woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I've gotten a really good offer to switch to my local cable provider (already have internet with them) and have set up an appointment to install on Friday morning, 7/12. Looking at my last D* bill, I've paid in advance for service up to 7/11/13. I'd like for service to be turned off at the end of the day on 7/11.

Can I go ahead and call today to schedule service to be cancelled at that time? Is that a bad idea? I don't want to have a CSR who's having a bad day turn my service off immediately.

2. Jul 7, 2013 #2 of 44
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    You can , but you can also call up on that date and shut off service.

Get ready for some begging ,they will offer you the world. just remember though if you have any balance or ETF you will owe them for it , they used to give you 6 days before they would just debit your account. Now I'm not sure!

3. Jul 7, 2013 #3 of 44
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would wait until you want it turned off and do it then.
    They might turn it off right after you get off the phone with them.

4. Jul 7, 2013 #4 of 44
    woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    So it's unlikely they will turn service off immediately?

I'm not so sure how much they will offer. I had a bunch of credits on my bill from last year, but they're gone now. My bill was $118 for one hddvr, one regular hd box, whole home, choice xtra and HBO. I called and complained about my slow dvr and all they would do is sent out a refirbished replacement. I could get a genie, but I would have to pay $99 for it, and $49 install. I called and got them to remove the dvr, and whole home, which reduced the bill by $19, but it's still $99 for one hd box, choice xtra and HBO. They didn't offer anything to try to keep that service going.

5. Jul 7, 2013 #5 of 44
    woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Has this actually happened to anyone? That's what I'm afraid of.

6. Jul 7, 2013 #6 of 44
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'd wait until your cable was installed and working. I've heard many people complain (sat and cable) of appointments being cancelled.

7. Jul 7, 2013 #7 of 44
    mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Why would you want it done immediately? After all, cable (and satellite) installs have gone wrong before. Why not spend the extra couple of dollars on a day or so of additional DirecTV service until you're sure cable will do what you need?

8. Jul 7, 2013 #8 of 44
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    He's leaving DirecTV. Let him learn the hard way.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jul 7, 2013 #9 of 44
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I personally would suspend your DirecTV service to make sure the grass is really greener, or the aggravations of cable are less than the savings.

10. brianoffs

brianoffs New Member

May 19, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    I actually called a couple of days ago to cancel my service effective July 15 and still have my service active. Haven't seen any issues so far.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Nothing says this will be a learning experience for him.

12. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    OK, thanks for that info.

For everyone else, I'd rather not cancel, but the price is getting too high, along with the outdated DVR I have. The company I am switching too said there is no commitment required, so at worst, the service sucks and get a really good deal to come back to DirecTV. Win/win

1 person likes this.
  13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There have been isolated claims of this happening.

Unlike cable that may take a few days to turn off service, satellite can do it immediately (they don't have to wait for a tech to disconnect a cable).

I'd heed trh's admonition about making sure your new service is up and running before you shut off your existing service. That you waited (or were forced to wait) until after the end of the billing cycle is unfortunate.

If you think your current DVR is outdated, wait until you see what the cable company saddles you with.

14. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I'm supposed to get a Tivo Premiere 4 which appears to be relatively new. Never used one before so we'll have to see.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I noticed that you are trying to save money.
    Did you know that the Tivo requires the following ?
    Service Plans: The TiVo Premiere 4 is designed to be used exclusively with the TiVo Service. The TiVo Service is required for proper operation of the TiVo Premiere 4 unit. The TiVo Premiere 4 uses the program information provided by the TiVo Service to record programming, power the program guide, and search for content. TiVo service provides you with an affordable and comprehensive entertainment option. The TiVo service is available for 14.99 per month (with 1-year commitment).

Link to the Info about the Tivo.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_592PREM4/TiVo-Premiere-4.html?tp=31#details-tab

16. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I did not know that, gonna have to give them a call to find out about the details. Thanks for the heads up.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome way to start, and you are NOT even a customer yet.

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I wouldn't give Directv the satisfaction. I'd cancel and reap the benefits of the win back offers that will follow in the mail for months after.

19. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    This is the chance to contact the retention reps to see what they can do about upgrading (which you will talk with anyway if your thinking of canceling service) usually when you tell them that your bill is too high they will give credits but YMMV.

20. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I contacted the cable company and they said tivo service in included in the price. I do not have to pay tivo as well.