Science Channel Out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SledgeHammer, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Mar 2, 2019 #1 of 46
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Anybody else getting Science 284HD outage (SD works fine)? Haven't seen any other channels yet.
    EDIT: 285HD, 286HD as well.

2. Mar 2, 2019 #2 of 46
    DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    Not sure if they are still down for you but I just tried 284, 285 and 286 and all are working in HD for me as of this moment.

3. Mar 2, 2019 #3 of 46
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks, yeah, they still aren't working for me. Ugh... I hate dealing with DirecTV techs. They always want to change everything. This is going to turn into a 4 hr ordeal.

4. Mar 2, 2019 #4 of 46
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a system test and check your satellite signals.

5. Mar 2, 2019 #5 of 46
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I rebooted the box. Same thing.

System test shows no internet and no dial tone and also a dish misalignment. Now I know what you're thinking... :).. duh, it tells you what the problem is :).

Yeah, but the issue I have with that is my box has ALWAYS shown those 3 errors. 284-286 I watch regularly and never had a single problem til yesterday.

So I assumed the misalignment error was false and coming from the setup I have:

HR24 + legacy 4 wire dish with strong under eave mount going into a legacy SWM.

Also, when I do a signal strength test, it shows the majority of every tuner / sat in the 90s+. If I had a misalignment wouldn't it show up there? Like I said, I watched those channels on Thurs and there wasn't even intermittent failure. If the dish was on the brink of going out, wouldn't I have seen some intermittent blackouts?

Do you know what Sat / Transponder Science HD channel is on? I can check that one specifically.

I do have an appointment scheduled... just doesn't make sense to me is all. If the transponder with those channels is low, then I guess yeah, but they all were in the 90's in general.

6. Mar 2, 2019 #6 of 46
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like a possible LNB or the legacy SWM going bad to me. The tech will probably switch out the old LNB and then the legacy SWM switch will not be needed.

Try switching the 2 coax connections on the receiver and see if the channel problem switches to a different set of channels.

7. Mar 2, 2019 #7 of 46
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's possible to receive channels with a misaligned dish but if the misalignment worsens the channels can be lost. When the tech comes let him know about your system test results.

8. Mar 2, 2019 #8 of 46
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I installed my DirecTV in 2002, so its gone through a few changes. When I originally built the house, I had them run 2 RG6's to the living room from the attic since that was the requirement at the time. Then I started multiplexing OTA on one of the runs. At some point I decided to upgrade to a legacy SWM multiswitch so I could use one of the RG6 runs for the Sat and the other for OTA without multiplexing and got rid of the B-bands.

So now I only have one RG6 run for the Sat. I tried switching tuners and its the same 3 channels.

Yeah, I'm just dreading the truck roll. Last time I had one out for a simple dish misalignment figuring it would take 15 minutes and it ended up taking 4+ hrs because he wanted to change everything out. LNB + cables into the attic + switch. Had to repaint half my walls too from everything he dirtied up.

Oh yeah, he also disconnected my OTA antenna by cutting the cable.

I'm going to watch this idiot like a hawk and stop him if I see him reaching for his wire cutters.

jimmie57 likes this.
  9. Mar 2, 2019 #9 of 46
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    HA! Knew it was a DirecTV issue and not mine. The channels came back just now when I was going to try to reseat the cables and maybe move to a different port on the SWM. Just turned on the TV and the channels were back.

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    This happened to me yesterday. I was watching "Nature" on a local PBS station. At the end of the show, it pixelated out and went to "Signal loss" on most of my local channels. An hour later, they will still out. An hour after that, everything was back. Boston market.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If it was a DirecTV issue, everyone would have seen the same outage.

12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Not sure if those are that popular of channels? Didn't have any rain last night. No trees anywhere close to the dish. I only found those 3 channels were out. I rebooted my box last night when it first happened and didn't fix it. All my transponders were in the 90's. By the way, I am STILL getting the dish misalignment issue error in the system test, but the channels work. Didn't have any wind either. So who knows...

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    What are you getting on 103CA TPN22 and 103CB TPN12. Those channels come from there

14. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Right now they're:

TPN12=79
    TPN22=82

Can't tell you what they were during the outage though. ~80 is well within the safety margin, no? If they were in the 60-70 range, I'd probably call them in.

I'm in So Cal, so not sure if there was any weird atmosphere thing that took us out, but when I called to cancel the appointment earlier, they didn't know anything about an outage.

It's actually cloudy and rainy today and they're at that level.

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    80 is safety margin but depending on if 80 is what you have on clear day. It may not take much to take it out. You want that at min high 80’s to mid 90

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It takes a lot to take it out if it is 80. You don't lose signal on an HD transponder until it drops below 20.

dreadlk likes this.
  17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    But if it is “peaked” at 80 then it isn’t going to take much to drop that to 20

18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The signal test reported 80 when it was rainy and cloudy on Saturday morning and the channels were working. They just weren't working Friday night. Wasn't raining then. Weird.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Any chance the weather has improved?

20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The numbers I posted above were from Sat morning when the channels were back up and it was cloudy with light rain. Today it is sunny and the levels on those two transponders are the same +/- 1 point or so. I don't have the numbers from when the channels were down since the TPN#'s weren't posted yet. Weather was fine Friday night.

I've been living in this house for 20 yrs in So Cal and I've only had DirecTV go out once or twice in all that time and that was during VERY, VERY heavy rain. Pretty much what we so cal people would consider a monsoon lol that many other states would consider a drizzle.

No trees or powerlines or anything like that anywhere near the dish.

Who knows... could have been a bird crapped on my LNB or something and the rain washed it off. I have the heavy duty under eave mount and birds were nesting there for a while. Had an exterminator come in and put some chicken wire to block it and they got back in, so he came back out and put even more chicken wire and I haven't had birds there since.