1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SciFi Channel begins to reek of Doom

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by LarryFlowers, Aug 24, 2008.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The news is getting worse...

Our beloved SciFi Channel may well be headed to a boycott...

Latest News... NONE OF IT GOOD..

1. Stargate Atlantis Cancellation
    2. New Show: "Cash or Capture" pits contestants looking for a cash prize while being "hunted." If they escape, they take home coin.
    3.New Show: Estate of Panic," significant amount of money are hidden in a large home and contestants are asked to locate it
    4. Ghost Hunters has been renewed for a 5th season
    5. "Outer Space Astronauts" examines what it takes to succeed while traveling in space

Couple this with the loss of BSG after the final episodes, game shows, and wrestling...

Looks like NBC is setting out to destroy the channel

2. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Oh God! I hope not! I hope it's just stupid rumors because I really love that channel and love Stargate Atlantis.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Nah, they're just doing what television executives do, shooting for the LCD (Lowest Common Denominator). Welcome to the race to the bottom.

5. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    We'll also have Sanctuary and Caprica... there's some hope at least ...

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It won't be a complete bustout. I think they'll still have about four decent series during a year. You know - a Stargate, a Caprica, a Eureka, a...hmmm, what am I forgetting here guys...oh, a Farscape, a Dresden Files,... In other words, it's adopting the NBC format - four decent shows a year, two of which get canceled after one season.:rolleyes:

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The advantage to all new series is that there's absolutely no excuse for any SD originated content.

8. kf4omc

kf4omc Godfather

Apr 11, 2006
    Ghosthunters is a great show. Never miss a show. and of course you are going to renew the highest rated show on cable (or at least sci fi).

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Has to be something for everyone and it has the ratings for sure. Me, I'm more of a scripted science fiction show fan. But whether it's Ghost Hunters or Battlestar Galactica, I'm for keeping appropriate science fiction/fantasy/paranormal programming on the SciFi Channel. Wrestling not so much.... Or maybe it is???:lol:

10. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    Kind of makes you nostalgic for the days of the reruns of Lost in Space, Sliders and the Time Tunnel.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm waiting patiently for Amanada Tapping in Sanctuary... What's this Caprica show? I hadn't heard about it. Is this a follow-on series to BSG.

- Merg

12. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    They are opting for "cheap" game show and reality programming... you honestly think they are going to go to the expense of HD... even CBS is just getting ready to do survivor for the first time in HD.

Reality and game shows are popular with the networks for only one reason... they are cheap cheap cheap.....

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Caprica is a prequel to BSG. Lots of info on the net as it's been talked about and in development for about a year or so.

14. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    It has the Fi but not the requisite Sci.

15. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    Wrestling is more Fantasy than Sci-Fi. :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Gaurhoth

Gaurhoth New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    I'm trying to remember when they started filling their entire day with cheap semi-horror flicks.

This weekend was silly. Various Leprechauns, 'Snakehead Terror', 'Flu Bird Horror', etc. It's been like this the last few weekends.

Even when they try to show a decent horror flick, it has to be censored down to the point where it no longer matters. I mean, without gore and language, most of these movies can't survive on plot alone! :)

Now the loss of SG Atlantis... Let's hope the new shows carry their weight.

Gaurhoth

17. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    Well as long as we have some Stargate I'm good. I enjoy SGA but it's no SG1 and the only cast members I actually like on the show is the guy who plays Sheppard and the female doctor. I have wanted Taila killed of for years! The show isn't really cancelled either in the sense that it's been yanked off the air but rather it will finish it's 5th and final seaon next year with a new SG to take it's place.

18. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I seldom get to watch them but I like the cheesy self-produced flicks on Sci-Fi, and we enjoy Ghosthunters since we do some of that ourselves.

But I agree, a lot of what is on the channel does not seem appropriate to what one would think should be on a channel named "Sci-Fi."

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    I have a real problem with folks fixating on the bad news and totally ignoring the good news. The network is a zero sum game: What they take away they replace, often with better.

In this case, the programs in development that you somehow managed to overlook were:

• Caprica
    • Kill Switch
    • Revolution
    • Stargate Universe
    • True Believer
    • Warehouse 13
    • What If
    I'm sure there are more that I don't remember.

20. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    It will be hard to sift between the wheat and the chaff.
    I had a feeling about SciFi channel's declined when WWE (or what ever the fake sport moniker is) was added to the line up.