1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Scoreguide' Needs Updating

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1948GG, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Since it's inception, Scoreguide has worked pretty well; but even in the beginning, it was obvious that those who 'programmed' this piece of the DirecTV 'architecture' never actually used it much (particularly on baseball), if at all, as several RSN's use the lower right part of the screen to put their own 'scorebug'.

So, if one wanted to 'keep an eye' on another game, they had to 'cover up' the stats on the game they were watching.

Now, it was generally a problem only on a few RSN's, but lately this season, more and more RSN's (most recently NESN) have switched from a 'top banner' stats to that 'lower right' type. I'm an American League fan, so 'generally' I don't get to scan many of the National League RSN's (so far the Dodger or Giant's broadcasts haven't changed) but I'll figure it's pretty evenly divided, as there have been many (like MASN) that have been in the 'lower right' category for a very long time.

DirecTV needs to re-program this feature so that:

1) the Scoreguide can be 'moved around' on the screen to whatever corner (left/right, top/bottom) one wishes, to avoid this problem.

2) why no better info, like the Scoreguide for the NFL games, where one gets a graphic of where the 'ball' is (yard line), but with baseball a small graphic of how many bases are 'occupied' would be 'nice'.

But allow moving of the thing. This should have been done in the first place.

From all the 'specialty' uses from Golf to Tennis to the current Olympics graphics systems they've done, it's not like it should be a big problem.

But it is a (BIG) problem the way it is now.

2. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I wish they scrap scoreguide. I am a big sports fan but we don't need it. With ESPN's Bottom Line always running on every ESPN Channel & scores constantly being displayed on screen in my opinion we really do not need it.

3. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Msguy - couldn't agree more.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It is used to change channels by a lot of us. I don't use it to watch scores as much as find a game that looks good (close/late) and time to it.

Friend who left directv for fios missing it. Fios has a score app but it doesn't tune.

I want it expanded. I want why we get in the iPad. The games that are on (college sports) rather than just the top 25.

5. jcrandall

jcrandall Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    I use scoreguide multiple times daily to check scores to other games and tune them without accessing the guide. Often use for MLB/NFL to avoid commercial breaks.

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I find it about as useful as the weather app. There are much better ways to get the information.

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I use it all the time, the option to be able to move it around the screen would be great.

8. ep1974

ep1974 Legend

May 22, 2010
    Agree, I use it to check scores, (even though we have the internet and ESPN), but also for finding the correct channel to tune in to MLB, NHL, etc. Would like all PGA tournament scoring available, not just the majors.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You can change the weather with the weather app?

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Although I like Scoreguide and use it quite often during hockey season, I wouldn't mind if they removed it. In the past, when you change to a channel with Scoreguide, it takes time to load and causes delays if you try to do anything with the remote. Lately it hasn't seemed to cause those issues.

And I do like the way they are using that feature for the "Summer Games" on mnbc, to show when events will be televised, medal count. etc. So it would be nice if they kept this feature just for special events.

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    ? I said I find the scoreboard app about as useful as the weather app. What does that have to do with your answer?

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You can use the scoreguide to change the channel. The weather app is informational only. Seems you guys who are complaining about the scoreguide focus only on the informational side of it. That is the point I am making.

13. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Okay, now I understand your answer. Perhaps if you weren't snarky about it, I would have known what you meant the first time. Using the scoreboard to change the channel is a good use of the scoreboard, but it only works if you have EI, or one of the other subscriptions. Otherwise it will go to a channel you don't subscribe to.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Snarky versus clever. ;)

And, no, you don't need EI for it to work. You pick the channel you want to go to. It doesn't pick it for you.

I didn't know you didn't know how it worked so I was trying to be funny.

15. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Then I withdraw my snarky comment! :) If you don't have EI, for instance, if you pick any game out of your market, you will go to a black screen. How can you pick the channel you want to go to? Each result has the two teams and their own rsn. If you don't get either, then again, you will get a black screen. BTW, I do know you get a drop down menu with the channels in it, but it doesn't matter if they are out of market.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No, it won't give you programming you don't have but if the game is on fox locally or espn or MLB or your local rsn, you can pick them. Of course it has more use for someone who has more channels but it still works for the channels you get. You just have to know which ones you get and choose them. I shudder to think of they try to make it smart enough to check if you get the channel. They have done such a bang up job on channels I get.

17. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Good point.

18. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    +1

19. RD in Fla

RD in Fla Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    +2:)

20. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    I use the scoreguide to check scores and change channels. My scoreguide went out for a while yesterday for some reason and I missed it. I like to bounce around to the different MLB games and without the scoreguide it makes a little more inconvienant to do that.