DBSTalk Forum banner

Scott/Solid Signal

6K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
I just spoke with Scott at solid signal and he says if i get an HR34 that it requires DECA to get on demand and pay per view???? I told him i have 2 hd dvr's now hr20, hr21 and dont have deca (hardwired ethernet) and can get on demand and pay per view............he's like "um, ok" and went on to say "well hmm i dont know if u can get on demand and pay per view via hardwired ethernet on an hr34 i am pretty sure u need Deca".

I'm dont think he's right.

#7 ·
gregftlaud said:
Yah well i called them and if i did they'd want to send an installer out. And i dont want that b/c i have hard wired ethernet for whole home dvr .......and if an installer comes out they are going to want to put on deca. I do no want that
So remove the DECA when the installer leaves...

#14 ·
Installers would install decas on them when they come out to install his HR34.

Make sure you put a band stop filter on the coax going into the HR34 if you really don't use deca, although there is zero reason not to use deca in your situation because your not going with status quo by getting a HR34.

#15 ·
r028806 said:
HR 34 requires a SWiM installation and does not use a DECA
Actually the SS rep. said "DECA" possibly referring to the networking scheme as a whole, not "a DECA" as to the individual out-board adapter dongle.

Apparently the rep. (Scott) is mistaking the HR34 to be like the H25 having an internal DECA, but no ethernet port(s), therefore requiring all networking for it to take place via DECA.

#16 ·
I just had a HR34 installed and asked for the DECA because of some of the issues we had with MRV over ethernet and the older receivers. So far the experience is much better since we installed the DECA.

We now have much faster response times to other DVR's on network.

It has only been a couple of days so we will see if the better performance keeps up.

#17 ·
gregftlaud said:
B/c my hard wired ethernet works just fine and i dont like to mess with things. If it aint broken dont fix it
You'll be better off with the DECA. I had the Ethernet and I switched. Had no problems since. But, I've got an odd system, I know the Ethernet system will work well with just a couple, three, four HRs on it.

Rich

#18 ·
robn77 said:
I just had a HR34 installed and asked for the DECA because of some of the issues we had with MRV over ethernet and the older receivers. So far the experience is much better since we installed the DECA.

We now have much faster response times to other DVR's on network.

It has only been a couple of days so we will see if the better performance keeps up.
And, up the line, everybody might need DECA.

Rich

#19 ·
Do i need to put the band stop filter on the HR34 if that is going to be the only receiver i'm using? I will have an ethernet plugged in though for on demand though.

BTW i couldnt get a deal from directv cust retention (been with them 13yrs). I tried 6 different reps. So anyways i ordered the HR34 from solidsignal.

#21 ·
"gregftlaud" said:
Do i need to put the band stop filter on the HR34 if that is going to be the only receiver i'm using? I will have an ethernet plugged in though for on demand though.

BTW i couldnt get a deal from directv cust retention (been with them 13yrs). I tried 6 different reps. So anyways i ordered the HR34 from solidsignal.
You just had an install of some sort done right? That's probably why.

If you don't use a deca cloud, you need to put a bsf on the HR34 so that it won't output its network signal through the coax to the other receivers, which over time is not a good thing to have happen.

The HR34 is the only unit that will bridge Ethernet to the coax network, like a cck.

Personally, I'd get the one deca that you will need for your one other HR21 and be done with it. Ethernet plugs into the HR34 and would bridge the network, so everything would be happy and supported. A other say, someday, other than the HR34 I expect hat all new receivers and such will not even have Ethernet ports. They will be strictly coax networked to a deca cloud. Just look at the h25.

#22 ·
"r028806" said:
Again an HR34 does not use a DECA and requires a SWiM installation.
He knows, the problem is you need a bsf if you have other units on the system that are not using deca, so that they don't get hit by the network signals. Vos can explain the technical reasons why you don't want this, but I think it has to do with voltage or something of that nature. the HR34 always outputs as though it's connected to a deca cloud so that's why he should use a bsf.

#23 ·
Ok again i'm not going to be using a 2nd receiver so a b band stopper wont be necessary on the HR34 right?

This is what i asked a few posts ago:

"Do i need to put the band stop filter on the HR34 if that is going to be the only receiver i'm using? I will have an ethernet plugged in though for on demand though."

#25 ·
"gregftlaud" said:
Ok again i'm not going to be using a 2nd receiver so a b band stopper wont be necessary on the HR34 right?

This is what i asked a few posts ago:

"Do i need to put the band stop filter on the HR34 if that is going to be the only receiver i'm using? I will have an ethernet plugged in though for on demand though."
So in your entire house you will have exactly one receiver? You are going to turn off and return all others? Then a bsf is meaningless and you don't need it.

#26 ·
Yah see i havent made my mind up completely yet b/c i wont get my HR34 from solid signal til fri or saturday at the earliest. If i really like it and with the 5 tuners i really wont need another dvr (i might just unplug one and not de-activate it and keep it as a backup receiver). The only reason i even have a hd dvr in the bedroom is for the extra 2 tuners to utilize via my hardwired ethernet whole home dvr. I cant remember the last time i watched tv in the bedroom.

Now of course if i change my mind and decide i want a receiver in the bedroom i already have a band stop filter on it's way from solid signal. Just to be prepared for any scenario.

How do u hookup a band stop filter? Just like the b-band converters? Run the coax coming to the HR34 into the band stop filter then put the input from the band stop filter into the Hr34?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.