Scripps Media dumps 3 ION channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Richjr42, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    On February 28,2021,some Directv customers may(or may not)have noticed a slight change in certain channels. This is because Scripps Media pulled the plug on three of the Ion channels:Qubo,Ion Life and ShopIon. These were replaced by channels from Katz Media including Court Tv and LAFF. For example,KLIM channel 64 in Los Ángeles dropped Ion Life in favor of Grit. Check your DTV channel guide for listing of the new channel if your city carried on of these channels. More diginets fall: Scripps pulls plug on Ion Plus, ShopIon, Qubo | T Dog Media

2. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Here in the Twin Cities we got:

41-1 ION (720p)
    41-2 Bounce (480p)
    41-3 Grit (480p)
    41-4 Court TV Mystery (480p)

Only the main ION is carried on DirecTV.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sort'a confusing situation here right now in L.A. on this issue

KLIM 64-1 (Also carried on DIRECTV) is now indeed carrying GRIT, but still incorrectly has the old ION+ network programming in the guide.

Scripps owned KPXN 30-4 now has ION+ in the guide, but the wrong programs are currently airing there.

And GRIT is also now on KPXN 30-3, but with the wrong guide information.

This means we now have GRIT airing on three different stations right now ...

KILM 64-1, KPXN 30-3, and KFTR 46-4

Sheesh, ... I guess these stations will get it straightened out eventually. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's probably the case for most all ION affiliates.

5. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    In some markets Ion Media had purchased some full power stations prior to FCC's Spectrum Auction (like KLIM) and sold the spectrum at the auction. Ion Media took advantage of where the FCC would allow two full power stations to share 1 physical channel. The additional stations Ion purchased they would retain their full power status in the channel share. So Ion elected "must carry" for all its stations, sold the spectrum of the secondary stations at the FCC Spectrum Auction and put Ion Plus as the -1 feed of the secondary station. This caused DirecTV in those markets to carry Ion Plus because DirecTV was legally required to. Now these stations are switching to Grit.

That should resolve itself. I wouldn't think this would require any move on D*'s part since it is a change in KLIM's main signal. Its possible Scripps/Katz didn't send the updates in time.

I would say the guide data will resolve itself soon. My Tablo is still showing qubo, Ion Plus & Ion Shop data after rescanning.

Katz Broadcasting apparently didn't give other stations an exclusivity clause in their contract lol. I think Scripps is unaware that having 30-3 is unnecessary and obviously didn't pay attention to how Ion Media was mapping channels. IIRC in markets like this Ion Media only had Ion Plus on stations like KILM's main signal. Eventually Scripps' goal is to move all 5 of Katz Broadcasting digi-nets to their Ion stations. Only the main Ion Television signal will remain unchanged. In some cases they have to wait for contracts to expire. Eventually the other duplicates like how KFTR has Grit on 46-4 and how KMEX has Bounce TV on 34-3 will rectify themselves when contracts run out or Univision decides to use one of their stations as an ATSC 3.0 trial station.

In my market this is the change:
    • 29.2 - CourtTV [SD]
    • 29.3 - Bounce TV [SD]
    • 29.4 - Grit [SD]
    Currently these are the duplicates:
    • Low powered
      • 21.1 - Court TV [720p HD]
      • 21.2 - Bounce TV [720p HD]
    • Full powered
      • 13.4 - Grit [SD]
        • Despite both 13.4 & 29.4 being in SD the 13.4 signal has a much clearer picture since the local CBS station owned by Nexstar doesn't compress their signals like the Scripps owned ION does.
      • 30.5 - Court TV [SD]
    I can understand leaving the low-powered station alone for obvs reasons but 13.4 & 30.5 will most like go once the contract expires or depending on how the ATSC 3.0 trial is implemented. 13.2 is Court TV Mystery and 13.3 is Laff in my area. Although I would not be shocked if the ION station replaces QVC & HSN with those two down the road.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  6. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I'm in Norfolk market and WPXV 49 is carried by D*

I have genie 2 so no antenna/ LCC

WPXV-TV - LyngSat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. Mar 1, 2021 #7 of 13
    techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Here is the small list of markets where Ion had two full powered stations. Ion took advantage of a loophole in the FCC's channel sharing arrangement which allowed full powered stations to retain full power status with all the benefits that come with it despite sharing spectrum with another full powered station or a low powered/Class A station as a result of the FCC Spectrum Auction.

The second previously carried Ion Plus on the main X-1 signal and is being replaced with a Katz network. These station elect "must carry" which by law requires DirecTV to carry them if they offer at least 1 local station in that market.
    • Owned by Scripps after the Ion acquisition
      • KILM (duopoly with KPXN-TV) - Grit
      • WFPX-TV (duopoly with WRPX-TV) - Court TV
    • Sold to Inyo Broadcast Holdings which will continue to manage the stations as before. Depending on the situation Scripps had to either divest some Ion stations so it wouldn't exceeded the FCC's ownership limits, in other markets this was due to Scripps having an existing station affiliated with a major network that opted for retransmission consent.
      • WDLI-TV (duopoly with WVPX-TV) - Court TV
      • WLWC (duopoly with WPXQ-TV) - Court TV
    All other markets with an Ion Television station will not notice a change on DirecTV since Ion only operated 1 station in those markets.

For your Ion station (WPXV) this is what happened over-the-air and may impact some cable providers as they typically carry subchannel feeds. As you mentioned D* is unaffected since it only carried the main feed.
    • Subchannel // Old Affiliation // New Affiliation
    • WPXV 49-2 // Qubo // Laff
    • WPXV 49-3 // Ion Plus // Court TV Mystery
    • WPXV 49-4 // Ion Shop // Court TV
    The 5th and 6th subchannels are unaffected as QVC & HSN affiliates respectively.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Dishdude714 and dtv757 like this.
  8. Mar 1, 2021 #8 of 13
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Off topic but I wish D* carried H&I

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

9. Mar 1, 2021 #9 of 13
    Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    the KILM duopoly is with KPXN-TV,not WPXN.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  10. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    My bad ty!

Dishdude714 likes this.
  11. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Greenville-Washington-New Bern NC
    WEPX
    38.1 ion Directv national feed
    Over the air
    38.2 CourtTV
    38.3 Grit
    38.4 Laff
    38.5 HSN
    38.6 QVC

12. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Would be nice if Directv would finally add the diginets. I have an LCC, but I'm in an area where there is pixilation sometimes.