Scripps vs DISH

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BobCulp, Jul 25, 2020.

1. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    Looks like there is another dispute going on. KOAA is my local NBC channel that is now off the DISH lineup. You may want to check your guide to see if any of your local stations are broadcasting.

Only 42 markets are involved with E W Scripps ownership. My question is why can't NBC own KOAA and other NBC stations? Allowing Scripps , Disney, others own stations does not sound right to me.

Scripps' local stations are now unavailable to DISH Network customers

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Dishdude714 likes this.
  2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    KSHB, the KC NBC station , is part of this as well.

There is some law (and considerable number of contracts with affiliate station owners) that limit the number of network owned stations there can be.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are laws but there are also ownership groups that have successfully lobbied to have the laws relaxed. I believe it is now based on percentage of media control within a market and there are plenty of workarounds. Station groups leasing additional stations within their markets works around the ownership limits if not the media control limits. There are supposed to be limits on how stations work together in negotiations, but as noted - the laws have been relaxed.

There are plenty of cities with two network stations controlled by the same ownership, whether on separate stations or two feeds on the same station. Alpena Michigan and Lafayette Indiana have three networks on the same station. The option for networks in many markets is no coverage, so they accept a shared slot. At least the modern availability of sub channels makes it possible for the network feed to be seen intact. A couple of decades ago a shared station would have meant "the best of" two networks alternating content or not carrying networks in their entirety - now it is just a subchannel.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  4. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    FWIW, WPIX was just sold off to Mission Broadcasting...of which (coincidentally) all of their current stations are also located in markets with a Nexstar Station - of which Nexstar also manages those said stations: :rolleyes:
    Mission Broadcasting Acquires Scripp’s WPIX Station | TV Technology
    Unfortunately, since the sale has not been finalized, it's still under Scripps, & is why it got blacked out now.

Same BS that Sinclair does with their Cunningham & Deerfield "offshoots"... :rolleyes:

5. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    "Scripps stations include the ABC Buffalo affiliate, ABC in Tampa and NBC in Green Bay, WI.

The blackout follows the loss of 10 Cox Media Group stations earlier in the week. DISH also faces a July 31 deadline for the former Nort"

What is former Nort ? They are next in line next weekend.

Brian Neylon of DISH is on my downed station and he compares a loaf of bread 15 years ago cost a dollar. Today that bread loaf is "50 fold".

6. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Fortunately for grandfathered superstation subscribers outside the NYC market, Dish could bring back WPIX using the superstation license, even if it is still blacked out in NYC. Dish usually doesn't make such a change during a short dispute, but if this dispute drags on long enough, they may do so. At least, that is what happened during the Tribune dispute, when they still owned WPIX.

dishrich likes this.
  7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I just checked and Dish removed WPIX too. I am grandfathered in.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is easier to pull the Superstation WPIX than guarantee that no one within the NYC market is receiving said signal via channel 234. The superstation license does not cover in-market delivery.

I do not remember DISH restoring it separately during the Tribune dispute.

9. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Here it is: July 28, 2016
    Uplink Activity Updates » 2016 » July » 28

Apparently, you even speculated about it at the time. Here is a quote from Tampa8 that I found on another forum:
    "Or as James Long speculated DISH decided to bring them back other than to the Markets they are in because they feel they can."

10. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    Great News. WPIX 234 and your local scripps owned network channel are back on the air.

crodrules likes this.
  11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Great. Nice to have it back. Now all we need is Dish & Apollo to get an agreement going to get KIRO back.

crodrules likes this.