SD channels forced to zoom?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BqWUDUDj, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1 of 30
    BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    I just noticed that SD channels are filling my HD screen. How can I get these back to the "Normal" setting? Cycling through stretch, partial zoom, zoom and grey bar does nothing with the remote.
    This is on a ViP722 DVR, software L812. HDTV Setup is 720p with 16x9 aspect ratio, unchanged for years.

I changed batteries on the remote a couple of weeks ago and lots of buttons got hit in the process, but no obvious setting on this side is amiss.

How can I get SD back to SD? People look fat.

2. Jun 2, 2015 #2 of 30
    Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 2, 2012
    Have you checked the video settings on the TV itself to make sure they are matching what you have set in the receiver?

3. Jun 3, 2015 #3 of 30
    Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    Millions of people who have DirecTV think a stretched SD picture on an HD set is perfectly normal.

2 people like this.
  4. Jun 3, 2015 #4 of 30
    Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Like my cousin. I'll change it to a real HD pic, but she'll set it back.

5. Jun 3, 2015 #5 of 30
    Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    They don't care how stretched or zoomed in the picture is, as long as the don't have those "stupid black bars".

6. Jun 3, 2015 #6 of 30
    BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    It was the receiver between dish and TV. I had checked the TV and that was getting HD and when I went to check the HDMI signal specs in the receiver it switched back to normal, bars on the side. I don't even know how to make the receiver warp the picture like that but it's back to normal again and I found the culprit.

7. Jun 3, 2015 #7 of 30
    BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Now that I think it over a little more, maybe the receiver wasn't the problem. It's odd that cycling through stretch settings on the remote did nothing. I would have expected the dish to add grey bars or fatten people, before handing the signal to the receiver.

8. Jun 3, 2015 #8 of 30
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If your receiver/or TV were stuck on a zoom mode... it may have been zoomed in so far that the gray bars and such added by the Dish receiver would not have been visible.... so it may have appeared the Dish remote was having no effect... but it may have been, just not one you could see because the TV was zoomed too far.

Just a guess.

9. Jun 6, 2015 #9 of 30
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Was this on a satellite delivered channel or from the OTA tuner? SD channels from the OTA tuner cannot be changed directly, the fact that cycling through the "stretch settings" does nothing is what happens on Dish DVR's with OTA tuners. The trick is to tune to a satellite delivered SD channel and reset the stretch settings. Then go back to the OTA channel.

You would think that the DVR would remember your preferences on a channel by channel basis, but it doesn't. I really wish it would, since some SD channels broadcast in a 16 x 9 format which can be stretched and zoomed perfectly into a full screen experience on an HDTV. Each SD channel has its own formatting. I have to change the stretch/zoom every time I change from one channel to another.

10. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Satellite.

11. Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    If you have an SD TV, get an HD receiver, then set the display settings to hide SD duplicates, crop and 480p. Bye bye letterbox.

12. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I have mine set to SD mode by pressing and holding exit until a message appears on the screen.

13. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    You can only adjust SD channels on an HDTV that is connected via one of the HDTV modes, HDMI being the preferred choice . If you are connected via the RCA yellow connection to an HD set it's the same as having an SD set.

14. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Both my TV's do it a 09 Samsung and a 14 Sharp. I always figured these "Smart TV's" were so smart they sensed the difference and compensated for it...to fill up that big screen. How dumb am I...?

15. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    I have the opposite problem with my VIP722. Occasionally it will flip to 4:3 mode with black bars for all channels, including HD. The image squishes so everyone looks skinny. The only fix when ths happens is to unplug the receiver and restart it. This is quite annoying when I'm recording something and am forced to power down the receiver. It began doing this only in the last few months.

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    And isnt that all DirecTV is offering now? (HD channels) -- There are no more SD stuff??

Must be hurting them big time!!!!! (The major bandwidth needed to do that)

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's incorrect - SD still exists.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Not hurting them one bit at all.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If anything the opposite is true;

It's DIRECTV having to supply simultaneous HD and SD feeds that's burdensome on bandwidth.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

20. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    DISH would do well to remove the duplication and after all these years stop treating HD as if it is new and special.