1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Locals - Erie, PA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mocco71, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    I know that the theme these days is for the LIL's to light up in HD in most markets in the US. However, I have family in Erie, PA (very small DMA) and they are thinking about going to Directv. Problem is, they would lose their locals which are available via cable. Based on the D* site, they'd probably be able to receive with an antenna, but they may have issues with that and probably won't want to fool around with hooking one up (they still struggle with the dvd/vcr, nintendo setup I did for them during my last visit). Maybe they could get the antenna that attaches to a dish (do they even still make those?) I think the contractor would probably do that install for them, not positive though.

My question is, has anyone heard of D* expanding their SD markets when D11 goes up? I guess it's worth asking because I could get 50 bucks in my pocket for the referral!

Thanks!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    While it's possible that DirecTV will add more SD local markets when the new satellite is active, I've seen no specific announcements about what markets would be added. So there's really no way to know if Erie, PA is likely to be added or not.

Your best bet would be to talk with a local DirecTV installer and find out what they're doing to provide local channels with an off-air antenna. Typically those dish clip-on antennas are junk, though.

3. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks... I thought those clip-ons were junk. I may just tell them to go with Dish. I know that doesn't sound good in this forum, but they don't have an HD TV and they don't care much about the exclusive sports that D* provides. I won't get the 50 dollar referral, but at least they'll get away from cable.

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am from Erie, yet now live near Harrisburg. Only E* currently offers SD locals in Erie. E* started carrying Erie locals around 2003. D* has no plans (at least anything they've ever released) of offering locals in Erie. Erie is the 142nd market, so not real high on the priority list.

Living in Erie, however may allow for D* to provide DNS HD feeds, as I've seen on the D* website, if I recall. TWC in Erie sucks.. only 9 HD channels and terrible PQ. I can personally attest to that.

The good thing, however is that 4 of the 5 Erie stations all transmit from the same transmission farm south of Erie (in Summit Twp), and WICU (NBC) transmits from southeast of town. Only the Fox affiliate (WFXP) just recently went HD in preparing to carry the SuperBowl, although the PBS station (WQLN) does have an PBS HD feed (via OTA and cable). The other stations only offer a digital feed, yet no HD yet. All of the stations currently utilize UHF for their digital transmissions, so a basic UHF antenna (and an amp in some places) will work fine in Erie. I set up my parent's system and they can switch b/w TWC and their antenna for digital/HD programming.

5. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007

Thanks for the info. I checked the website and it doesn't look like they'd get DNS feeds due to the strong signals listed. When I get up there this summer I may put up an antenna for them regardless of their choice in service. They are fed up with TWC.

6. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    BTW, does anybody remember the Prime Time 24 days? Back in the BUD days and the early DBS days, you didn't get NYC and LA locals, you got a weird mix of random locals. IIRC, the east was NBC-Atlanta, ABC-Nashville, and CBS-Chicago, which later became CBS-Raleigh, which then changed to CBS-Erie.

Why Erie? Why not was about the only answer.

AFAIK, Prime Time 24 still exists as a service to hotels that cater to Americans in Latin countries. Last I saw of it was at a Holiday Inn in Cancun.

7. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007

8. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yes, I remember when WSEE was the Prime Time 24 CBS East affiliate. WSEE had a local morning show and people would call in from all over the country to win prizes. That was funny.

In the past, I believe HD DNS were available in Erie, but since WFXP (Fox) and WQLN (PBS) now have HD, maybe D* has removed this. Still no HD NBC, ABC, or CBS in Erie, though. Probably not until 2009, although WJET (ABC) is planning on going HD this summer.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Update - TWC in Erie is adding WFXP HD (Fox) to its cable lineup this week. The service that covers the city of Erie got it Monday, while the rest of Erie County that TWC covers should have WFXP HD by the end of the week. The reason?? WFXP/Fox has the Super Bowl this Sunday.

WICU and WSEE plan in going HD later this spring.

WJET plans to go HD next Feb 2009.

All the above do have a digital signal currently.

10. Dale in PA

Dale in PA Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
    All the network stations have digital broadcast, but only Fox has
    decent range. I live 30 miles south of the tower and can only receive
    Fox & PBS. Fortunately, my antenna picks up Youngstown stations
    45 miles southwest of my house.

So, unless you live in Erie or the other networks boost their signal, you
    will not see much DTV.

11. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Ya know, I was in Puerto Plata, DR last week and the CBS channel was out of Erie in the resort. It was really weird because during their 6pm newscast, they would do a Caribbean weather report. It was pretty cool. We also got the ABC station out of NYC.

No NBC or Fox, but some other odd channels that showed most of their programming.

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, the WSEE Digital is running on very low power currently. At my parents house, they can barely get WJET DT..I think they are also running very low power. There is a nice hill right behind my parents house (b/w them and the transmitter sites). WFXP DT and WQLN DT come in fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.