1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Tailgating. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kevin F, Aug 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I have a fair amount of time before I need to get this working but I've decided to get a head start. I would like to buy a SD dish, a tripod or some other type of mount, a good amount of RG6 cable, and anything else you guys recommend. I will be using a leased spare D12 receiver that I have in my basement. Also, how hard is it to align a 1 LNB dish for the 101 bird? Any tips or guides are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Heres a decent tripod that comes with the pole.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-and-SL5--(PVTP3KIT)&c=Mounting Supplies&sku=

Heres a dish. Comes with a mast but you don't need.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-(46DTVDE2)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=053818480106

You'll only need a piece of coax long enough to reach from the dish to receiver. Thats it.

Once you get the setup, hook everything up to the STB/TV and go to menu -> parental, favs, setup -> System Setup -> Satellite -> Repeat Satellite Setup -> Point Dish

From here you will put in your zip code or the zip code of the place you are tailgating. It will tell you what you need to set the elevation to. These nuts are located on each side of the dish and require a 7/16'' wrench/ratchet.

Last step is to make sure the mast is plum with a bubble level. (3$ at lowes)

Hit the Satellite Signal Button on the tv.

Once all that is done you just rotate the dish till numbers start coming in. Once the numbers reach the end they don't immediately start repeating so you will need to refresh them by hitting the + on the satellite select. (You should select 18")

The numbers will start over. Rotate the dish slowly and you should get it. You might have to adjust the elevation for optimal signal but you want to get the highest signal you can left and right, lock down the back bolts, and then adjust the elevation.

Good luck!

3. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    The tripod in that first link says its for a slimline dish. Which I believe is a 2 inch pole from the dish. But the 18 inch dish has a mast diameter of 1.65. Won't the dish wiggle and slide around in the tripod because of the difference? I may be wrong but I just want to make sure. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Oh, nevermind. My stupidity got the best of me there. I should have read the whole description of the tripod. It will fit. Sorry about that and thanks for the links.

Kevin

5. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Also no BBC's or band stop filters, switches, power inserters, etc will be needed in this setup? As for a reciever it will be a D12. Basically just one line from the dish to the receiver? If so that's great!

Thanks
    Kevin

6. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    That's all you need... a dish, a way to support it, a cable and a receiver.

7. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Don't forget POWER.:D

Also a TV helps;)

Doctor j

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Aiming a single LNB dish is a snap. Set the elevation on a level surface before you go to the tailgating site so you are "in the ballpark" in advance. :D

Then, be sure to bring up a signal strength menu (meter) on the receiver on a transponder that is ONLY on the 101. If you have the dish mounted on a board, all you have to do is rotate it until you get the beeping sound! Then you can peak the elevation if necessary.

9. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    By mounting it on a board do you mean nailing it on a wide piece of scrap wood from lowes?! If so, that's a great idea! How stable would that be?

Kevin

10. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
  11. davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    I would find a free old round dish on craigslist and just screw it to a 2X12 and test align it in my back yard on a level surface. Once that is aligned all you will need is a blanket for the top of your car (as long as it isn't windy) and just rotate it until you have signal, I doubt you would even need tools to adjust at the tailgate. All you need is a 7/16 wrench if you do need to make adjustments. All you need is a 70+ signal for the 101.

Tripod, signal meter, and all the other crap others are suggesting is unneeded and a waste of money that could be spent on beer

Signal meter???? The receiver will be 15 ft from the dish... Just look at the tv.

12. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    No one suggested a signal meter. I suggested the signal meter on the TV ;)