1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seagate Barracude 1.5TB and HR22-100?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Thwarter, May 18, 2009.

1. Thwarter

Thwarter Cool Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Greetings All!

I have a Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB SATA HD and was wondering if I can use this drive in my HR22-100 receiver. I've looked about the forums a bit and have not found this particular drive mentioned as of yet. Would this drive work in my HR22 receiver and if so, what should I be aware of in my attempt to upgrade the receiver?

ST315005N1A1AS-RK is the model of the drive. And I have bought the receiver myself from Best Buy. I understand I can't copy over existing stored shows on my old hard drive.

Forgive me if I have missed an already posted thread on this situation. Thank you for your help!

2. k0rww

k0rww Legend

Aug 20, 2006
    St. Louis
    Unfortunately, when you purchase a DirecTV receiver from Best Buys or Costco you do not own the receiver, you're just renting the hardware from DirecTV. The actual price is over $400.

I can't answer your question about the 1.5TB hard disk, but people are using various 1.5TB drives in ESATA enclosures with success.

3. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
  4. Thwarter

Thwarter Cool Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ah OK, so I'll need to put this in an enclosure. I was kinda hoping to replace the existing 500Gb HD in the HR22 with the new 1.5TB drive, but I guess I can try hanging it on the USB as a secondary drive.

I may just exchange the bare drive for the Seagate for a FreeAgent USB 1.5Tb setup as it's only $10 more.

Thanks for the info k0rww and DVDKingdom! :)

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    USB is non functional on all direcTV HD DVRs except for HR21Pro for RS232 control.

6. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    The external drive will need to be eSATA.

7. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Actually the usb is functional for RS232 control on many of the D* receivers. I use it on my HR21-700, and have tested it on my R15-100.

8. Thwarter

Thwarter Cool Member

Mar 19, 2008
    OH! Duh, thank ya. I now see there is also an SATA port on the back of the HR22. Nice. I'll try that.

9. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Dang where is the icon for "foot in mouth":lol:
    You have a 232 tutorial anywhere?

10. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I wouldn't use a Freeagent enclosure(no active cooling). Get an Antec MX-1 enclosure for your drive.

11. Thwarter

Thwarter Cool Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Yeah, you're right Dave. A Freeagent would get toasty. Plus, I don't think they normally come setup for SATA out.

I checked out that Thermaltake Max 4 that DVDKingdom recommended and it looks good. I wasn't planning to spend that much ($50) for an enclosure, but for something like this it's better to buy once/cry once and rest peacefully knowing it's not gonna get too hot. :cool:

I checked out the Antec MX-1 and that looks good too and is the same price, though no cool blue light which would kinda match HR22's blue'ness. :righton:

12. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    Search eBay for PL2303 (not PL2303X) USB to Serial. I got a compatible dongle for under $10 shipped. Works great on my HR22-100. The ancient DirecTVControl app still works, but needs to be updated to support remote codes. It sends front panel controls only. I wrote some .NET code to work with it.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There is a cool blue light on the front of the MX-1, and it perfectly matches the blue of the HR receivers

14. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    One other thing to keep in mind: An e-sata drive does NOT act as a supplementary drive to the internal. Once you set up the e-sata drive, you will no longer see the recordings on the internal. To access the internal drive recordings, it will be necessary to disconnect the e-sata drive. Hopefully, D* may someday allow the internal and external drives to work together, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

15. Thwarter

Thwarter Cool Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification RS. Yeah, it sucks that it's access to only one drive or the other and not both at the same time. Also sucks that you can't move stored content between drives. :shrug:

But if I understand it right, with some manual intervention, I can still get the shows on my original internal drive if I detach the external drive and allow for the system to reaquire guides and whatnot.

My folks have a Dish Network HD-DVR and it's the same situation on his receiver.

And yes, hopefully our hardware eventually will have an update that lets us see both internal and external drive stored content all together. And then enable USB storage and let us attach a usb hub and three or four externals drives for even more content. :joy:

16. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    You already got it, but the official answer you are going to get is that you don't own it, so you can't open it and replace the internal drive. However, if you read the numerous :beatdeadhorse: threads on this issue, many people have done just that. I have no idea if your Seagate will work as the internal drive. However, the external Antec MX-1 combo is about the most guaranteed answer you'll find.

17. konfusion

konfusion Mentor

Jan 27, 2008
    i just got an hr22-100 in the mail today since my hr21-100 died on me. i would like to put a hard drive in it. i mean an external with an enclosure either 1tb or 1.5tb can someone tell me what hard drive would be best and what enclusure that should work best? goes through esata in the back i see too

18. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Either of these HDD's
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136351

And this enclosure...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371008&Tpk=mx-1

19. konfusion

konfusion Mentor

Jan 27, 2008
    thanks ordered. how do i set it up just put it in there and then plug the esata cable from the enclosure to the directv box and it will format automatically?

20. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Pretty much...

Power everything down, hook up the enclosure to the HR2x. Power up the enclosure, then power up the HR2x.