Seagate esata "died" Can I transfer the drive to a new enclosure?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    Last night my ESATA 1tb Freeagent pro "died"...That is the programs do not appear in my "list". The Seagate doesn't light up (power up).
    I have read posts on this site that indicate that the enclosure is the weak point on the freeagent and it is likely that the drive is still OK.
    I have read various posts regarding disassembly of the Seagate freeagent and mounting the drive in a new enclosure.
    I would like to do this to save my programs.
    Is it likely that my drive is OK and just the enclosure failed? Is there a simple way to find the answer?
    I would like to order a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station
    today and remove my drive form the freeagent enclosure.
    I assume there is no way to know for sure without actually trying?
    Any help and/or links to answers would be a big help.
    Thanks.

2. subeluvr

subeluvr Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    The only way to know is to try and the Thelmaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station is the best choice.

If you're near a Best Buy they usually have them in stock.

Let us know what you find out.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Even b4 investing in another enclosure, remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it to a sata equipped pc, boot with a gparted boot disk and if the drive shows up and shows data, theres a good chance the drive is fine, just the enclosure that died. If thats the case, then by all means you should be able to mount that drive in another enclosure and your recordings should be intact.

4. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    I bought a new dock at Bestbuy, removed the 1TB Seagate drive form the freeagent enclosure (that's not fun), put the drive in the dock and rebooted all.
    WE'RE BACK.
    Thanks to all who advised.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Nope. There are a couple videos on youtube on how to do it. But even then, not easy or fun.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I would definitely plan on replacing that drive soon...I'm sure its a few years old now and they dont last forever. If you are looking to not lose your saved shows, prudence would say replace it soon. If the drive fails, there isnt any recovering from that.

7. subeluvr

subeluvr Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    And a lot easier to do with the Thelmaltake dock.

8. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    The drive I transfered from the freeagent to the dock is 2 - 2.5 years old.
    I have computors with drives that are 5 -8 years old.
    I know there is no sure thing, but is my 2+ year drive in real danger?

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Back in the day, about 2008, I had a FreeAgent Pro "die" on me. I took the drive out and put it in another enclosure and it's still running to this day.

10. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    RunnerFL...That's good news....My drive is located in the crawl space below my system. It is well ventilated to the outside and I live near San Francisco, where is almost always cool weather.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Get SMART report first - under Windows use Victoria or others, to make self-bootable CD - download MHDD ISO.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Seagate Xtremes are real beauties too. Had to destroy the things to get the HDDs out. Still can't believe there wasn't a fan inside them...:lol:

So, we see another case of external device failure with a perfectly good HDD inside it. We should all learn from this. Again.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All that heat generated by the FAPs probably does the HDDs no good. I've got a stack of Seagate 1.5s and don't know what to do with them. The five year replacement warranty only gets you another Seagate and unless they come out with a really good AV drive, I wouldn't use anything but WD drives. You've got the docking station, stick a 2TB WD drive in it.

Rich

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Rich584, post SMARTs from those drives. We will see what condition they have now.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You want them? I just threw a couple away, but I've got three or four left. Just pay for the postage and they are yours. You can play with them to your hearts content. I keep telling you I'm too lazy to do what you so dearly love to do.....:lol:

In fact, if you want them, I've got about three or four more I'm gonna switch out for WD drives, I'll let you know when I'm done in a month or two and you can have them all.

They might as well go to a good home...:)

Rich

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Deal ! I'll take all of them and will test, also will provide all outcome back to you for your final decision.

17. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    It's my understanding that the actual hard drive in the Freeagent Pro is pretty robust, but the enclosue and it's electronics and powersupply are the
    weakpoint.
    I wish there was an easier way to transfer the data (programs) from the older, and at risk of failure, ESATA hard drives used with DTV DVRs to new drive and still have them play on the DTV DVR.
    I only have laptops, and the methods I've seen detailed in this forum, besides being beyond my limits, are for "tower" computors, not laptops....or is there a way with only using a laptop????

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes.
    Use two USB enclosures/TT BlacX.

19. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    P Smith,
    Please elaborate....I would really like to know how copy, but I am not familiar with what you're recommending........
    Thanks.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea