1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for satellite every night, no rain.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by phatmatt1215, Apr 13, 2010.

1. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    Was just taking to my cousin. She seems to get the "searching for satellite" message every night, even if it is not raining or anything. What might be the cause? Out of alignment? If wrong spot, please move to where appropriate.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You can have her pull up the signal strengths, but it sounds like a bad LNB or moisture in one of the connectors.

3. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    May have said it wrong. She does NOT get it all the time. Here is a note she wrote to me:

It started when we got a new receiver for the living room so put the old one in the bedroom. I would think it was hooked up wrong if I got that error all the time ... but I don't get it all the time. :(

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Have her double check the coax connections on the receiver, and make sure there are no shorts inside the connector of the coax, and that it is tight. Im assuming then, that this is only one receiver, and not both of them?

5. hunter65

hunter65 Guest

Does it happen on every channel or just some satellites?

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Either it's a cabling problem (different receivers will have different sensitivity), or it's an LNB problem. If the white plastic caps have a broken seal, moisture can get in and damage the electronics in the LNB. You won't necessarily get it every night, but enough to be unacceptable.

7. bananfish

bananfish Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    I had a similar issue several years ago.

I just lived with it, frustratedly, for a year or two because we rarely watched that bedroom TV, and although the problem was rather consistent (though sporadic), we didn't want to incur any expenses if the problem was ours rather than D*s (and every time I called D* about it, they'd run some connectivity test that showed everything running fine.)

It turned out that the problem apparently was that the connection through my outer wall had not been properly protected from rain and moisture - consequently, moisture collected in the cable and caused problems, including some rusting of the connection.

I got it fixed a couple of years ago when a tech came out to my house to replace an HR10-250 with an HR21. I told him about the problem and when he disconnected the cable from the inside connection, it was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen ... you could actually see a drop of water form at the end of the connection every couple of seconds even though it hadn't rained in weeks! (I still find it incredible that that moisture was somehow apparently stored in the cable, which when he pulled it out looked dry as could be.)

He ended up re-doing the outside connection to shield it from moisture and replaced all the connection hardware and cable. No problems since then.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The shield braid on a coax cable has plenty of space for water to travel through the cable.

Take a look at the pics here. The use of T25 metal stapes to tack cables down on a roof resulted in the staples piercing the cable jacket (almost unavoidable with T25 staples, which is why they are banned) and water traveling all the way down the inside of the cable from the roof to the receiver.

9. BuLL

BuLL Cool Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I am having the same problem. I've had DirecTV for around 8 months now. Brand new install with SWM, currently only one receiver, a HR22-100.

Intermittently and at random times of the day the signal will drop to 0 for ~30 seconds then be fine for a minute, then drop again. The picture doesn't pixelate, just freezes like the cable has been disconnected. Happens on all channels. Signal strength is normally 96-98%. Had a tech come out over 5 times. LNB, SWM splitter, Power inserter, ground block, and barrel connectors, have all been replaced. DVR and SWM plugged into a UPS. Even ran new coax, except for a short run from the eve to inside the attic, but that was new ~5 years ago.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Very frustrating. Could the DVR's tuner be going bad?

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    :welcome_s
    :welcome_s to DBSTALK

First I'd try to determine if the intermittant signal is always one tuner or the other. You can run tests on each tuner independently.

You mentioned you have only one receiver and a SWM? An interesting test would be to disconnect the SWM and PI and run a single line from the LNB to the HR. Of course you will have only one tuner that way but another variable eliminated. But the HR22 may require a BBC so you won't get the 99 and 103 sats without it.

And if the problem still persists if it was me, the next thing I would do is replace that five year old coax under the eve/attic. You know the one that is the biggest PIA but given the location and turns, its a likely suspect.

11. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    the sticks...
    I had a similar problem all last summer until the weather cooled off. And now it seems to be returning. I have four HDDvrs in the house. Every sunny day from about 11:00 AM to late afternoon/early evening two of the units (both 20 series) would lose signal to most of the HD channels with low signal strength on the corresponding transponders. The other two dvrs (21 or 22 series) were fine all the time. I had wanted to have my dish moved to the other side of my house and rewired to the basement and run out from a multiswitch there and so I did this at the end of the summer. The problem seemed to go away briefly and I thought all was now well but it cropped up a few more times before the weather got cold and so I anticipated that I would see the problem again this spring. And - sure enough over the weekend it happened again. I just cannot figure this one out.

12. BuLL

BuLL Cool Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I will give those a try and hopefully finally get this working.

Weather temps hasn't made a difference on the signal drops in my situation.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    A SWiM with too many tuners ?

14. BuLL

BuLL Cool Member

Apr 19, 2010
    The SWM supplies both tuners over one coax. Haven't tried eliminating the SWM and PI yet. My LNB just has one coax connection, so I fear it isn't going to work without the SMW & PI.

I finally got the cable replaced in the eve/attic and eliminated a barrel connector, and it still happened. Approximately 5 times in an hour ranging from 15-45 seconds each time. :nono2: Will try bypassing the ground block next...

15. BuLL

BuLL Cool Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Had a good stretch of about 3 weeks with no signal loss. Now it has started up again. Multiple times throughout the evening. Down time is longer, closer to a minute each time now. This is driving me crazy. :( Could I really be having that bad of luck with LNBs?

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Have her press & hold {INFO}, then Run System Test .. This should provide error codes if there are problems. Post these codes here ...

17. BuLL

BuLL Cool Member

Apr 19, 2010
  18. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    It could. IIRC the distance between PI and SWM (whether that be a SWM-8 or SWM LNB) should be no more than 25'.