1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for satellite on only one receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by colonelswizz, Oct 28, 2009.

1. colonelswizz

colonelswizz New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I have 1 D12 receiver that searches for satellite signal everyday around the same time - about 4:00 or so. After awhile the signal comes back. My other 2 receivers work just fine during this time. Can someone tell me why this might be happening? Do I need to wait on freakin technician (no offense to technicians I just don't have time to wait for one) to come to my house? D insists that I have to wait for a technician. Any help is appreciated.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    In most cases, these "time of the day" issues are due to either a failing, temperature-sensitive LNB or due to a problem with a cable run/connection. Either issue is going to need a tech to fix, unless you have spare parts and/or want to re-run that cable, so, yes, you'll need to wait for the tech.

3. colonelswizz

colonelswizz New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks that what I figured.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Try swapping this "bad" Receiver with one of your good Receivers. If the problem stays with the "bad" Receiver, you can be pretty sure it's defective. If the problem stays in its room, then something is wrong with the satellite feed into that room. Let us know what you find.

5. colonelswizz

colonelswizz New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I put a different receiver in the the bad room and still had the problem. The tech is coming Friday.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Let us know what they find. Sounds like a problem with the cable or a connector from the dish to that room.

7. colonelswizz

colonelswizz New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    It was the cable. The original installer pieced together all the cables from the sat to the ground with 2 lines and the reciever that the issue was with the pieced together connection was corroded.

8. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Odd that it was happening only a single time during the day. Must have been something with the temp/conditions around that time that caused the connection to be worse than the rest of the day.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Since the effects were just on one unit, that seemed to narrow things down to the environmental things with that specific receiver.

Cables/connectors are one of the main sources of this kind of problem - not all that surprised...except that the installer did such a poor job on it apparently.

Good to hear you are back in business there!