1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for signal - HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sigma1914, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 4, 2006 #1 of 41
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yesterday I had 2 HR20s and AT9 installed. One unit has no problem viewing our local MPEG-4s, but our other unit randomly gets the "Searching for signal" pop-up and blacks out. It happened on the other HDs today. The installer says the signals great, saying the unit may be faulty. Here's my signal strength:

Sat 101
    Tuner 1 & 2: 97%

Sat 110
    Tuner 1 & 2: 76%

Sat 119
    Tuner 1 & 2: 98%

Any tips? Should I tweek Sat 110?

2. Oct 4, 2006 #2 of 41
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    What are your signals for the 99 and 103 as those are where the MPEG-4 come from

3. Oct 4, 2006 #3 of 41
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Ok, now I'm baffled...

Sat 99
    Tuner 1 & 2: Not available

Sat 103
    Tuner 1 & 2: 99%

99 says Not Available, but I'm seeing my locals fine on one unit. The mpeg4s channels comes in after repeated channel changing.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #4 of 41
    matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    Bypass any multiswitch you have and run two lines from the dish straight to the DVR. Do you get the same results? If so, you probably have a bad connection between the 'aux' LNB assembly and the main LNB. If not, you're probably using a multiswitch that doesnt work with the AT9.

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 41
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    There's no multiswitches, he ran 4 out to 2 units.

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 41
    matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    Wait.
    Can you compare signal strengths on all the 99 transponders between your two units?

I can never keep straight which bird has the spot beams.

7. Oct 4, 2006 #7 of 41
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Each transponder? I'll try later, for sure. It's weird 1 tv has no problems with signal.

8. Oct 4, 2006 #8 of 41
    WANDERER

WANDERER Banned User

Sep 27, 2006
    F no - I've had the same thing happen. The pop up is impossible to get rid of. You have to do a red button reset and go chill for an hour while the unit reloads.

9. Oct 4, 2006 #9 of 41
    billt1111

billt1111 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    When you get the popup is the regular programming viewable in the background, no matter which channel you tune to? If so, the next time the pop up occurs go to setup > antenna setup > view signal strength. Let all the signal strengths populate and then exit out of setup and see if the popup is gone.

10. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Other channels show up, but not the HD-locals.

11. g4jedi

g4jedi Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    Reboot! Mine did that right out of the box! DTV told the installer to reboot the unit and all the HD locals came right up. Rebooting DOES take forever and a day though!

12. WANDERER

WANDERER Banned User

Sep 27, 2006
    Funny thing was my wife and I were watching a recorded HD show (off MPEG4) when all of a sudden the pop up kept appearing. No way to get rid of it. At this point she just got up and walked off. I feel like Tim Allen on tool time - she's resorted back to the SD Tivo unit on our 55" HDTV - makes me sad. Looks like ass on that big of screen.

13. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Did the reboot twice. I get the channels, just not all the time.

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Should I try connecting without the (pardon my tech-like explination here) "weird little converter-type box" on the back of the HR20? Is it the B-band converter?

Edited to sound less stupid...if possible.

15. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I still haven't removed the converter yet...can I, & will it help?

Also, last night while a SD recording was going, I couldn't get any HD channel to come in. No loss of signal, just no picture on ESPNHD, UHD, HDNet, etc. Local mpeg4s were fine. Again, this was only on one of my two units...no multiswitches.

16. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Quick test if possible swap the locations of the 2 boxes and if the problem follows the box then you know its the box if it does not and stays in the one location then it is possible that it could be a wire problem or even a problem with the port the wire is connected to on the LNB.

I had a simular problem when I got my HR20 with some HD channels not working and the tech spent an hour trying to figure out the problem was and I just radomly suggested could it be the LNB and he said "I dont think so for when it is a bad LNB nothing works they just dont partialy fail."

I then said could we possibly try it any way and he said I guess so he proceds to get one out of his truck and then gets his ladder down and climbs up on the roof and swaps the lnb assembly and ask me to go in and check to see if it works now. You could tell by his tone that he did not believe that it would be. I went inside and checked my recievers and I had all the channels and then checked the signal segrenths and they all were in the high 90s I went back outside and told him this and you could see the uder shock on his face.

He then jerked up the old lnb assembly that was now laying on the roof and drew his arm back and threw it as hard as he could. It went about 300 feet maybe a little further and was only about 15 feet from landing on the neighbors front porch.

I then heard he mutter I cannot believe that I have spent all this time trying to figure this out and it was the freaking LNB I have never seen that in my 8 years of doing this. I have got to find another line of work!

17. capted

capted Cool Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I think the installers should check out this forum more often!!!

18. dan8379

dan8379 Godfather

Feb 13, 2006
    This happened to me last night (the "searching for satellite" message came up, even though I was watching the channel just fine in the background). I just hit channel up and then back down and the message went away. I hope this doesn't become a common occurence, it was kind of annoying. And I assume that if it happened on a recorded show there would be no way to get rid of it and you'd have to have it showing up throughout the entire show.

19. scollins1225

scollins1225 Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    New to the forum - and just about a month of HR20 700 experience (not much without errors), but have encountered something similar to what you are describing - along with some other "bugs" (and we subscribe to HBO, and HD package, Sunday Ticket and Super Fan - Showtime and Starz have been added to our programming):

Problems with HR20 700 (HD DVR) - this is our 3rd receiver (receiver 1 had the same issuses, additional problem with receiver 2 described below):

Receiving error message “Searching for Signal on Satellite on 2 (771)” when attempting to tune in the second local channel. For example, tuning in local HD channel 11 (WBAL), signal is ok, then, tuning to the next local HD channel (2, 13, or 45 – it doesn’t matter), getting the error message (771)… need to go to a standard digital channel (202 or any other, really SD channel) so the message clears from the screen, then directly tune into the “2nd” local HD channel (2, 13, or 45 - doesn't matter)… and the channel tunes in ok.

The signal strength on the dish all tuners/transponders - are spot on... ranging mostly in the mid-90's.

Also - getting the following errors/bugs:

Going to the HD Channel block and using channel (+) to go through channels:

70 – (HBOH) - Channel not purchased (721)
    71 – (SHOH) – ok
    72 – (ES2H) – Program not available in your area (727)
    73 – (ESPH) - ok
    74 – (UHD) - Program not available in your area (727)
    75 – (TNTH) - ok
    76 – (DSHD) - Program not available in your area (727)
    78 – (HDNM) - ok
    79 – (HDN) - Program not available in your area (727)

Note, I can go downstairs to the basement (HR15 HD receiver) – and all HD channels come in fine.

Continue to channel 80, which actually is not available (and displays the appropriate message) because we have local channels instead of regionals, then go back down the HD channels using the channel (-):

79 – (HDN) – ok
    78 – (HDNM) - Program not available in your area (727)
    76 – (DSHD) - ok
    75 – (TNTH) - Program not available in your area (727)
    74 – (UHD) - ok
    73 – (ESPH) - Program not available in your area (727)
    72 – (ES2H) – ok
    71 – (SHOH) – Channel not purchased (721)
    70 – (HBOH) - ok

So the error messages have flipped to the "opposite every other channel".

We had a technician come to the house and he forced some software updates last Thursday (10/5/06), which corrected the above problems, but unfortunately, caused an error when we attempted to DVR a show and watch another. We would get an error message saying that we were unable to watch another program because both tuners were in use.

After calling tech support, and resetting the receiver we were able to record one show while watching another, but all of the HD problems listed above returned again.

We're also getting some minor glitches like the time/status bar freezing (usually around 10-11 minutes) into a recorded program.

Our second receiver did not show both sets of local channels - the HD (WMAR, WBAL, WJZ, etc.) channels showed in the guide, but not the standard digital channels (BA2, BA11, BA13, etc.). The techs couldn't get this corrected, but we haven't experienced this problem on receivers 1 & 3.

As of right now, after many hours on the phone with Tech Support, HD Tech Support, troubleshooting, swapping receivers, 3 in-home visits from local DirecTV techs, etc… we are awaiting the 4th HR20 700 HD DVR receiver, and another visit from our local technicians.

My wife's (pregnant and we have a 15 month old running around) patience with DirecTV, in-home visits disrupting their schedules, my phone calls to tech support and hours of troubleshooting are running thin...

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED…

20. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    yep i get the same thing on sho hd , searching for sat signal on tuner 1, and channel not purchased, one comes in then the other one wont, then they both go out so who knows whats up with it?> i called directv and got a re-hit still didnt help and i have excellant signal strength in the high 90's cant figure this one out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.