DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Season Pass and Guide for OTA

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JLucPicard 
#1 ·
Newbie question before I spend a fortune on e-bay.

How does the the HR10-250 work with Season Passes for OTA stuff? In other words does the guide have data for my locals that I get OTA? If I can only setup Season Passes for the SD DirecTV version of my locals that would stink.

Has anybody had any experience with this and am I asking this question correctly?

- ImmerTech

#3 ·
One caveat to that. There have been some (and I'm a victim of this myself) of the local broadcasters that may not broadcast the program guide data on their signal (I know I'm not hitting the nail on the head technically, but I hope this will make sense). For example, my local UPN channel is 29. The SD locals I get through DirceTv are also on 29. My local UPN station actually broadcasts their digital signal on channel 22.1. On my HD Tivo, there is program guide data showing for channel 29.1 that is the UPN programming for my area. However, the actual audio and video for my local UPN station is only there when I tune to channel 22.1. The Program guide for channel 22.1 only shows as "Regular Programming", so I cannot set Season Passes through the guide. I can set up recurring manual recordings for those programs.

I have been in touch with DirecTv and the story I get is that the local station needs to do something that remaps the data so the guide will align with the broadcast. I haven't gotten beyond that point yet.

I will say that my local digital stations for CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, WB, PBS, etc are all fine and I can use the Season Pass for the digital broadcasts with no trouble. It's just the one UPN station I have a problem with. I don't think this should be enough to scare you off.

If I look up my locals on antennaweb.org, I can see that my local 29 actually broadcasts digital on 22.1. If you have concerns, you may want to visit that site and check it out. It is a problem, if I understand it correctly, that can be corrected, but it takes the local station doing something for that to happen.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
Jluc, you need to contact your UPN station and let them know that their PSIP (Program & System Information Protocol) generator is not functioning properly. The purpose of the PSIP is to let your set top box know that although they are broadcasting on 22, the transmission should be remapped to 29 in your situation.

My CBS station broadcasts on 12 and is mapped to 11. Everything worked fine until one Sunday night when the signal on 11 was gone. The Tivo was tuning the channel on 12 (the actual broadcast channel). I contacted the technology director at CBS and they rebooted the PSIP system. The Tivo then correctly remapped to 11.

#5 ·
Tusk,

I appreciate your help!!! I had been dealing with D* and could never quite get to a person who was able to give me resolution or a place to go.

I'll be in the phone with them (WFTC, my UPN station) tomorrow!

Great folks out here - very fortunate to have found you.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.