1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seattle locals SD, quality on Directv = worse & worse

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Renard, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 96
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I already posted a thread on SD quality here in Seattle on Directv, but i want to start a new one, because it is to a point where Komo 4 and King 5 are both unwatchable
    Last night (Sunday 08/05/07) was the worse

I took more pictures to show you (and hopefully the channels and Directv) that something is going wrong with picture quality here in Seattle.

Picture 1: This picture has been taken from Komo 4 (ABC). Look at the face of the guy, we can see a ghost image in the background (last night i was wondering what the hell is that picture on his face) :confused:
    You can see SUBWAY on his face. :eek2: :nono2: :nono:

Picture 2: I took another picture later from the same channel KOMO 4 (ABC), well i found out what the picture in the background was: NBC !!!! :eek2: :nono2: :nono: Look at in the left upper corner , you can see the logo
    WHAT I AM ON ABC CHANNEL AND I CAN SEE NBC IN THE BACKGROUND :nono2: :nono: :eek2:

Picture 3: ABC Look at the noise in the picture (horizontal bars), it is pretty obvious that something weird is going on :eek2: :nono2: :nono:

Picture 4: Same ABC (pic took one second after picture 3) no more noise in the picture :confused: :rolleyes:
    Well not for so long , problems go on and off :confused:

Picture 5: KING 5 (NBC) Same noise like ABC in the picture and the same horizontal lines :nono2: :eek2: :confused:

Picture 6: Same NBC (pic took one second after picture 5) no more noise in the picture :confused: :rolleyes: :nono2:

WHAT'S GOING ON ON THESE 2 CHANNELS LATELY.

I m living far way from Seattle, i don't receive any OTA channels, i don't even have an OTA on my roof, which eliminate some interference i could have. so why NBC was overlapping ABC last night.

I was wondering if you have noticed these problems last night? Any feedbacks are welcome from other people in Seattle (and other states of course) :)

I am watching these 2 channels now , and they seem better, however, from time to time you can see some big vertical bars on King 5. Problems come and go

Please Directv, and/or the channels fix these problems

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 96
    skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    Have you contacted D* directly about the problem?

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 96
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA

Yes i did, and guess what, i received a canned response
    I contacted Komo 4 and King 5 (no news so far)
    Did you notice the same problems?
    As i said earlier, the problems don't occur all the time

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 96
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I usually watch those channels in HD (which looks great), but waa looking at SD on the other set over the weekend and the picture on both looked "normal", FWIW. How do the other locals look to you? What model of receiver are you using?

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 96
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    R15 hooked up with S video on HD LCD (480I)
    Tivo hooked up with S VIdeo on a CRT
    HR20 hooked up with HDMI on HD rear projection (Native mode off, 1080i resolution thru HR20 settings)
    I watch as well HD locals on my HR20, and as you mentioned it no problem, but when i watched local SD on the Tivo and the R15 and on the HR 20 (for testing purpose) , you have the kind of picture i took.

I don't know if they fixed it, but the picture on Komo 4 and King 5 seem better
    the question is FOR HOW LONG, BECAUSE THE PROBLEMS COME AND GO

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 96
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I know we've had this exchange before, but I don't see those problems. Yet we're obviously receiving the same satellite feed. I still think something else is wrong with your setup, but I don't know what.

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 96
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Litzdog could you tell me what is wrong with my setup, i hooked up all my receivers with the optimized connection :confused:
    I DO NOT BELIEVE these are kind of interferences on my part, the same quality picture on 3 different receivers, but on Komo 4 and King 5 part
    Could you tell me why there was a picture from NBC on Komo (look at the pictures)
    First of all did you watch Komo 4 SD and King 5 SD last night around 11pm
    I think you watch HD more often than SD which is normal, HD locals are much better, but i don't have a HR20 in all the rooms.

PICTURE ON KOMO AND KING seems fine now (well Sd quality with heavy compression)

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 96
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    While I normally do watch the HD channels of KOMO and KING via DirecTV, I also record the KOMO local news each evening from the SD feed.

I just checked 4, 5 and 7 SD feeds and do not see any of the problems you have noted. I also have never seen these problems when watching any of the SD recordings I have made of KOMO.

You indicate you are a ways from Seattle, but in an area that gets Seattle locals. May I ask where you are located?

Also, do you tend to see these problems more at any particular time of day or night? Any particular shows where you see the problems most? I ask this so that I can look (or record) the same shows, or at the same times, to see if I can catch the problem.

Carl

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 96
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Well there's an important clue .... so these channels don't always have this problem. Perhaps we need to coordinate a few recordings at the same day, time & channels so that we're comparing the exact same broadcasts.

10. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I live in Bellingham, i don't really think it matters since we receive the same feed from the satellite
    I just randomly watch Komo and King
    The pictures i took were from last night, and tonight Komo 4 and King 5 work perfectly (of course)
    I swear i don't have a problem with my installation, everything is fine on the local transponder which is think is transponder 18 i have a signal strength of 100%.

I don't think that the pictures i took last night are a problem on my part but on Directv or the channels.
    By the way i just stated that Komo and King were unwatchable, i don't think i mentioned having some problems Kiro 7, Q13, CW11, MYQ2 ,KONG 16 which by the way are on the same transponder :confused:

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHY LAST NIGHT I HAD NBC PIC ON ABC PIC (look at picture 1)???

I think i have enough knowledge about satellite, and i think i know when a problem is not due to my installation.

I would say keep an eye on these channels and see if the problem is occurring again (who knows, i sent the pictures i took yesterday to KOMO, KING and Directv, they might have fixed the problems)

Tonight KOMO ans KING are working fine :confused:

11. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    Yes I did in the past. Right now I am not watching much on the networks so I cannot confirm what you saw Sunday night but I know that several time in the past I noticed the same problems. Echoes, overlapping signals, and fading signals mainly on KOMO, KING and Q13. KIRO usually is more stable and KCTS (that should be on fiber) is way over-compressed. As you say, it is not always there but is present often enough to make me believe that there is something wrong with D* SD equipment in Seattle.

12. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    We live about 70 miles south of Seattle and watch both KOMO and King 95% of the time in the eving and during the day. We have never had bad video from either channel. We have a DVR40 SD and a R15-300 SD and both have functioned just fine on both channels
    Maybe you don't. There could still be a problem with you install.

13. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Did you watch Komo and King the days i took the pictures???

What could be wrong with my install, remember guys, this is digital signal, and with digital signal it is only a bunch of 0 and 1 in the signal. With digital either you're receiving something or you receive nothing. With analog signal it's different you can see the kind of pictures i took (echoes, noise).
    BUT AS I SAID THESE CHANNELS ARE DIGITAL, so just a bunch of 0 and 1
    How could some interference or something wrong iwith my install give me some echoes, and some overlapping on channels broadcasting in digital :confused: :eek2:

By the way, just read the post from Skyboysea, he noticed the problems as well in the past, but he didn't notice the problems now because he is not watching the local networks. :D

This morning Komo and King are fine no more noise and no more echoes, i would say just keep an eye on them to see if the problems occur again. :D

14. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA

15. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Here we go again, Komo and King have problems this morning.
    It worked perfectly for 2 days.
    I've just noticed it this morning.
    The problem is more noticeable on Komo, but doesn't occur all the time, it comes and goes. it's like you have some noise that comes and goes from time to time.
    What i don't understand is why when Komo is not working properly, it has effects on King

AS I SAID THE PROBLEM DOES NOT OCCUR ALL THE TIME, SO PLEASE PAY REALLY ATTENTION TO IT, (ESPECIALLY ON KOMO 4)

OF COURSE I HAVE WRITTEN IN THIS THREAD, AND THE PROBLEM WON'T OCCUR (AS USUAL) :mad: :mad:

16. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Just a thought.

If D* is capturing off-air analog signals at their Seattle receive site, it could be occasional co-channel and/or harmonic interference?

This could be influenced by atmospheric conditions, etc. and explain the sporadic nature. Especially if you see it more at early morning and late at night, when temperature inversions can affect propagation.

17. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I thought about that, who knows, but there's something wrong somewhere
    Now both channels are working fine :D
    GO FIGURE :confused: :eek2:

18. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I have seen this in West Palm - an analog looking problem on a digital signal, and wondered if they had to revert to an analog feed back to DirecTV when a digital feed broke down or something.

19. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I'm fairly sure that Directv isn't using an OTA pickup from these stations. I heard (I forget where) that they both (as well as some other Seattle locals) are sent to Directv from KING's location. If so, I suppose some faulty hardware could result in an inadvertent mixing of the two.

20. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Ok, so what you are saying, is that all signals from seattle locals are sent to King
    Or is it just Komo that send its signal to King building, then King send the signal to Directv, hence the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.