Second Chance on FOX

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    [​IMG]

Second Chance
    on FOX​

Wednesday, 13 Jan, 9PM ET​

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm finding it interesting. As I like SciFi with a decent mystery plot.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Held my interest enough to continue with it.

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I don't touch sci fi shows (or really any serialized shows) on Fox until after they have been on a couple seasons or I know they don't end in cliffhangers. I've been burned too many times by cancellations.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well we're in.

1 person likes this.
  6. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Me too.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Read a review saying it was horrible, anybody here have any thoughts?

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The New York Times review begins with:

We agree in our household. Sure, it is in the scifi genre which always requires some acceptance of the "far-fetched." But the end of that review sums it up nicely:

Fox really tries to bring some decent scifi to broadcast TV. In the ballyhoo of Fox bringing back "X-Files" it seems some critics who regularly put down scifi have joined the "positively excited" column forgetting that there was some plot silliness in "X-Files" that came along with the pleasure of watching the characters week after week. This show has that "character potential."

9. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I like the second episode better than the first.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I agree. We are seeing the characters evolve and my guess is by the time of the fourth or fifth episode, we will know this is a very good show.

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    OK, I can't hold my tongue any longer.

We've all been burned by FOX. But if you missed the few episodes out there of Almost Human, The Chicago Code, and half a dozen other flame outs on FOX, including Firefly. Yes, FIREFLY, the show that everyone whines about being cancelled 13 years later, then you have done nothing but simply disenfranchise yourself from some really fun television.

It is a legitimate strategy. I won't deny that, because it would seem that shows that don't catch on with viewers won't catch on with you, and shows that run for years are probably there because they are good shows. But we all know that is hardly a hard and fast rule. We all can name shows that go on forever that are terrible. We can all name shows that got less than a season that were wonderful.

Using that strategy does not make you smart or clever.

TV is like dating. You might waste a night or two looking for Mr. Right and never find him, but you gotta play if you're gonna win. So give new shows a chance, and you might have a better experience in the end. If you travel abroad, you can always go to McDonalds and the Big Mac will taste just like the one on your corner, but hey. Where's the fun in that?

Here's what is smart and clever. Take a freaking chance.

The reviews were horrible. The ratings are horrible. They just yanked it from the Wednesday schedule and dispatched it to the dungeon of Friday night. When sweeps come, in February, it will probably be gone. If you're lucky they will let you stream the other 5 eps that they don't air.

And I say lucky, because this show is really fun. It's not The X Files, but then according to the elitist reviewers that think it sets them apart to bash an institution like that, neither is The X Files anymore. They are completely wrong, but then they are completely wrong about a lot, including this show.

I honestly can't see much wrong here. David Fury, Rand Ravitch, and Director Timothy Busfield are all legends, and in the time of Peak TV, when there is 'way too much good television' out there, they would not attach themselves to something they did not believe in. They can pick and choose. That pedigree is significant.

The acting is good, the actors are all really charismatic, the story is good, if a little clunky, but you can suspend disbelief pretty easily over the scifi touches. What is important is that the motivations of these characters are believable, and that they are fun to watch. It's a little rough around the edges, but so is Game Of Thrones and Downton Abbey.

So everyone, cut yourself a break and set your DVR for Friday nights and catch this little gem. It's light, it goes down easy, and it's fun. And it is well-executed. The storytelling is professional, even if the stories are not at the level of Homeland, or The Sopranos. And the girls are all cute.

If nothing else, do it to get more Tim Dekay. That guy is solid gold. So what if the lead actor lets his accent through a little bit It's television, not rocket science. He's still really likeable in the role. All the reviewers think what is important is to let us know how clever they were to catch that.

I like bad reviews because they lower expectations. Going in with low expectations and being pleasantly surprised is also a lot of fun. The sad thing would be if folks don't try the show because some reviewers need their precious column inches, which is how they get paid, to be a platform for bashing imperfection. But if they were perfect, they would be real writers, not bloggers in their mom's basement.

So I was pleased to see that the consensus here is that the show is worth watching. I could not agree more.

If you want to keep waiting for a show to have a future, that's fine. That's up to you. You have a right to your strategy, and you have a right to espouse it. I'm just starting to get a little weary of hearing about it over and over.

I'll tell you a little secret. There doesn't need to be a couple of future seasons in the pipeline to enjoy a good TV show that is already here. Here's another. You don't have to invest in an overaching seasonal arc to enjoy a particular episode of a serialized show. You might have hated the finale of Lost, and thought the writers had no idea where they were going for the entire 75 episodes. Guess what. You were right. Damon Lindeloff even said so. But about 73 of those 75 episodes were some of the best TV ever out there, and every episode in that serialized story also stood on its own two episodic feet as entertaining.

For those with the strategy, whatever you do don't stream Fawlty Towers or The Honeymooners, because while they might have been great, iconic, seminal, beloved shows, they only made about a dozen or so of either of them. Instead, hold your breath until the new seasons are in the can. Can't lose, with that strategy.

Peace.

1 person likes this.
  12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yep, well, my takeaway Tom is that it has been moved to Friday effective this week. For Fox, that isn't an automatic immediate kiss of death, but it likely means no second season. IMHO it's worth watching, so I will.

1 person likes this.
  13. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I hope you are right and it is only a temp move.

I am happy you are liking it. It is at least as good as some shows they have axed, probably a whole lot better than whatever Sleepy Hollow devolved into.

That Kazinsky guy is winning me over. He seemed a little rough around the edges at first, but he's growing on me. When Jimmy/James looks at his granddaughter with all that love in his eyes it just breaks your heart.

14. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    I believe I read somewhere that the X-Files got moved to Fridays, (or started there) and we all know what happened with that show on FOX. I'm liking this show as well.

15. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Started there, and got moved to Sundays. Somewhat an opposite experience. But in 1993 Friday was still a legit night to program.

Also a unique occurrence. I can't think of anything else on FOX that started on Friday and ever survived to get a better time slot. Maybe Bones, dunno.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Frankly if they have high ratings on the DVR for the show Moving it to a poor night makes some sense because it probably won't lose its audience. If they have other programs that get higher live ratings to put in that Tuesday spot it could be a win win.

Looking at the long term new lineup it's funny.

They have Monday's for drams. (Loveing lucifer was extremely well written)

Tuesdays is all comedies

Wednesday is all reality split with chef and idol

Thursday's is all idol

Friday's is all drama again with sleepy and second chance

And then their Sunday cartoons.

Seems to be they are trying to pair stuff up that's similar each night rather than hoping for a lot of audience crossover. I also wonder if they are hoping to get the blue blood crowd to start on second chances instead of Hawaii five O. Might be difficult.

17. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Hmmm. Not for me. I made it about 19 minutes into the H5O pilot and it was all over. That stumpy idiot with the ridiculous forehead inherited none of his father's talent. The best thing about it is it keeps him out of shows I actually want to watch. Jack Lord is probably spinning like a top.

But I will not miss Bluebloods. Sure, I'm in the demo, but that sort of quality will always find and audience.

But you just made one of the most interesting points I have seen here, the concept of launching a show to an audience, and then moving it, parking it on a low night because it has all the audience it is ever going to get, and then they can use the platform for something new. That is totally counter to anything TV ever did, but it might actually be kind of brilliant.

What that means is that since the paradigm shift and the changed values of owning a network mean new challenges, they might be able to leverage linear TV into a promotional vehicle, like sampling crackers from the little lady with the apron at the A&P. A way to cut through all of that "too much TV" din, and get something noticed, which is exactly what apron lady is trying to do.

And that would work, maybe, because the delivery infrastructure has changed. In the year I was born, you pretty much had to get up off your butt and go to the movies to see video of any kind, a word that is now old and ancient like me, but wasn't even a word then.

Watching TV before the Betamax was like catching a bus. You had to be there, and sandwiches and pee breaks waited for the commercials. Another 3 decades of slow transition and finally, shows were not events you had to attend, they were assets you could store for later, and the DVR did all of the heavy lifting of catching the bus for you. And if you liked Second Chance, and set a SP, you don't even have to know it moved, the DVR will figure it out for you (sometimes). So the net doesn't run as big a risk of losing audience by moving something as they once did. They can roll the dice on hedge bet.

There was a moment a few years go when network programmers realized they were not competing head to head. They were lamenting that they were not competing with the other networks at 10 o'clock, they were competing with all of the other shows that aired that same night at 8 and 9, including the shows they had just aired themselves. Now the assets are available nearly instantly, and everywhere, not only on that big rectangular thing.

So the change there might mean you have a good idea.

18. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Even though it's on Friday, the episode was as good as the first IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think it's getting better myself. Hope it survives.

1 person likes this.
  20. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I agree. I can't stop watching this show. It's flawed, but still a lot of fun. Lots of reveals and changes in dynamics in the last couple of eps.

I mean, it's doomed, but I'm still in 'til the bitter end.