1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second dish for locals?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wideglide36, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm thinking of getting a Directv 4 room system with one Tivo receiver. I was thinking of getting a triple lnb dish with an RCA Tivo receiver. Currently Directv does not offer our locals here in Central PA. They are supposed to be available later this year. I was told by a Radio Shack employee that I would need a second dish to pick up my locals when they are available. Online I was told that with the triple lnb dish that I shouldn't need a second dish for my locals. Does anyone know if I will need the second dish for locals? Also, I wan't to get the MLB EI package but with my luck I'll get the Directv system and find out that MLB EI is going exclusively with Dish Network. Does anyone know for certain that MLB EI will be available on Directv this year? Are both Rapid Satellite and Expert Satellite good choices to buy from? Thanks for listening, I'm sure some of these questions have been asked before. My apologies if they have. Thanks,
    wideglide36

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    When they say you need a second dish they really mean a multisatellite dish, which the oval Phase III is. It "sees" three different satellites. I have no experience with either company you mentioned or if MLB EI will still be available. I suspect it will be. I'd go to the DirecTV website and ask that question.

3. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    MLB and D* have signed a new deal. Current subs to the package are currently on renewal. They are not yet taking new sub orders for the package. They should start tho in a few weeks. The guy at Rat Shack might have been confused as they no longer even handle Directv equipment only Dish. I have heard good things about Expert Satellite tho no experience with them either.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Many of Dish's local markets require a second dish to receive the local stations other than ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS/WB/UPN. This isn't the case here with DirecTV, however, if the locals are located at the 119 slot instead of the 101 slot, then they will supply you with the necessary dish. (I would get a phase three dish anyways because it tunes in all three satellites and the internal switch can handle up to four connections without power)

There is a possibility that once DirecTV 7S is launched, DirecTV 5 will be moved over to the 72 slot for the carriage of additional locals or other services, and that would require another dish.

5. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, I suspect this is what the guy from RS was talking about. I am in the same boat if I switch from E* to D* in the future, E* already has my locals with a SuperDish and D* will be adding them to the new 72 slot, once D*5 is moved their in late Spring or Summer, which will require a 2nd dish to get my locals on D* too.

6. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    If Central PA refers to the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York area, then your locals will be picked up using an elliptical dish, from the 119 degree slot.

If Central PA refers to the Johnstown/Altoona area, then your locals will be picked up at the 72.5 degree slot, probably with an extra single dish pointed only at 72.5.

7. mattmill

mattmill Legend

Aug 10, 2002
    Is there a listing of what locals will be at 119 and which will be at 72? I'm looking for Portland, ME.

thanks,
    matt

8. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Check the D* website press releases, their was an official press release a few weeks ago with a list of 18 markets going to 72.5.

9. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Portland, ME, is going to 119.

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Never buy any system based on any promises from DirecTV or its salesmen. DirecTV has been promising this "second wave" of locals. In "mid 03", then "Sept 03", then "Nov 03" then "late 03" then "Dec 31 03" then "early 04" then "April 04" and now its "July 04". In reality, the sat that will carry them is not even launched and DirecTV's contractors are no closer to launching it.

It is possible that DirecTV will actual meet its 8th "deadline" on this project. It is also possible that it will not.

If locals are important to you go with which ever provider has them NOW or stick with cable.

IF DirecTV's second wave of locals ever happens, there will be two groups, which are listed on their web site. The first group, falsely listed currently as "Spring 04" will be carried on the yet unlaunced DirecTV 7S sat. at the 119 location. The oval triple headed LNB will receive these. A few months after these are finally delivered, a second group of locals will be added, which are listed lower on the same web page as just "2004", which will be at the 72 location. To get these you would need a second dish pointed at 72. There is nothing in the set-up menu of any current DirecTV box that provides for a 72 location. Some people think that this can be upgraded via software or "trick" wiring, some think that a new box (which it has been past DirecTV policy to provide for free) will be needed. Nobody knows and DirecTV won't say. They just quietly change the dates that the first part of the second wave will happen.

Harrisburg is a 119 market. Johnstown-Altoona is a 72 market.

11. mattmill

mattmill Legend

Aug 10, 2002
    Thanks Greg,
    I was hoping that it would be 72.5 since I have no line of sigit to 119 :mad:

matt

12. wideglide36

wideglide36 Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Thanks for all the info. Central Pa is the Johnstown/Altoona area. I'm still going to wait to see when MLB EI is offered to new subs before I make any commitment. So it looks like I'll need two dishes to get locals when there available. Thanks again,
    wideglide36

13. Strong

Strong Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 30, 2003
    Neither company shows up on ripoffreport.com

ePinions.com shows Expert Satellite with 2 reviews (both negative).

Rapid Satellite has about 40 mixed reviews on epinions. IMO, Rapid's reviews seem a little suspect. They had a large number of 100% positive reviews which had to greatly skew the totals.

I'm sure some folks have had good experiences with both companies and the folks that tend to write reviews are usually unhappy and want to get the word out. As an installer, I would reccommend you go with someone local with a storefront. Even if you have to pay a few extra $$, to me its worth it to support your neighbors and have a local place to work out issues vs. some website that could be in Upper Mongolia for all you know.

YMMV

14. DJSix

DJSix AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I'd check in with D*, the early bird offer for MLB EI is going on now. Though be sure to check who your local rsn would be, because EI may not get the games you want to see. Example:

My local rsn is Fox Sports Northwest, which means my home MLB team is the Mariners. I can watch all the games I want on FSNW, but if it's not showing on FSNW, but is on any other Fox Sports channel, I'm blacked out :(. If you're in-market of your favorite team, there is NO possible way that you'll see EVERY game. MLB EI only gives you the out of market games (such as a Mariners fan living in Florida would be in heaven).

Good luck hunting....

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I assume that if/when DirecTV starts to use the 72.5 location, they will supply whatever equipment is needed for existing customers. And, wouldn't a new multiswitch have to be used to receive a fourth satellite? Or, would they do it similar to how they do the 110 now?

It makes sense to use the 72.5 slot for east coast locals and 119 for west coast locals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.