1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second R15 giving up the ghost

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jpsage, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpsage

jpsage Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    Well this is my second R15 and I guess I have broke it too! My first warning of eminent disaster was when I started adding a bunch of old war movies from TCM this weekend. After adding one for next Monday I got told that I had exceeded its capacity and could no longer add record requests. I figured I could delete some and everything would be fine. I deleted some, and then sellected to record a Tonight show and went to bed. The next morining, my remote was slow to act (the light blinked but took forever to react), and then some recorded events would not play. I could not backup live tv and everything seemed to be going south.

Yesterday I started deleting recorded shows, future records, reseting the machine via the red button and went to bed.

Finally this morning when I couldn't play anything previously recorded (it would just go to a black screen for a long time and then return to live tv) I deleted all shows and everything from the todo list and finally did a full reset from the menu. Now all I get is the blue power light and nothing else.

I guess its time to get another box. At least when the old box would hang, I could reset it and still watch my recorded items. Very frustrating. Please don't list this as bashing, it is frustration. Anyone have constructive ideas on what is going on? It seems like the base computer in this box should be able to recover from software errors and I can't believe that with the symptoms changing like this that it is hardware unless its read errors from the hard disk. How may hard disks failures can I have?
    r15-500 latest update from 5-5-06
    john

2. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I had to move my R-15. When I turned it back on it couldn't get a signal on Tuner 1. Since I new it worked before, I rebooted; still no signal. I had to do this about four or five times before it showed signals on both tuners.

Is there a short-cut around this if it happens again? I am currently running 103F, which was installed on 5/24.

3. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Sometimes it needs to be unplugged for a bit. 5-10 minutes. Red button reset doesn't appear to be the same as a power cycle.

4. jpsage

jpsage Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    I left it alone for 5 hours last night and when I came back it was playing real-time on the channel I left it. Weird thing is that all the deleted programs were back. Of course they won't play as before. I again deleted all the recorded shows and it still won't record. All though it thinks its recording because when I said to do a self test it told me that it was recording the program that I was playing in real time. When I said to do the test it did the test and of cource everything reported fine. When I powered it up it went back to the blue button right after after it says it is starting up. It doesn't even mater if the card is in it or not. I think I hear the disk drive buzz, buzz, buzz about like fly going by your ear.

I guess I try one more time. I am going to search the net to see if I purchase one of the older tivo units, if I can install it and use it. two units in three months is a little more than I can handle.

john.

5. jpsage

jpsage Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    Using techinques from WOLFPACK's post "For those of you that "want to know". I was able to duplicate the R15 disk to a 200gb disk on my Fedora FC5 workstation and now have everything back. I dup'd the disk with the command "dd if=originaldisk of=newdisk". It completed sometime during the night and I installed the new disk in the R15. I power'ed the machine and held the DOWN ARROW and RECORD keys until the aquiring Satilite screen came up.

I was then surprised that everything was as it was when it stopped working. My record todo list recorded a show this afternoon and all the previously recored shows play. I am amazed.

Excuse my rambling but I am trying to figure out why a duplicate a disk installed back in a malfunctioning machine would allow the machine to operate correctly. My WAGs are:

1) the original disk is incompatable with the system--timing maybe???
    2) the R15 software detects that the new drive is different and resets some parameter?
    3) Since I did not know about the DA/R trick before I duped the disk, maybe that would have fixed the original problem.

I guess that I will stop there, maybe if I am motivated enough to follow this group or to experiment further I may comment further. In closing thanks to WOLFPACK and others that went the extra mile to determine how we can recover our systems.

john.

6. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Just to make sure I understand. Once you did the DA/R you were presented with a blank R15. No SLs, no TODOs, no MYVOD, correct? Then you recreated your SLs and everything seems to be running as expected, correct?

If this is correct, I would guess a DA/R on your original drive would also fix the problem. When I was originally pushing my unit with 40 SLs and a full MYVOD all I could do to make the unit work again was DA/R.

If your SLs and MYVOD were still present then the DA/R didn't complete.

IMO the enhanced FAT32 (or 64) filesystem that's being used doesn't play well with being reset and hanging all the time. The result is lost clusters and a system that only gets worse. This filesystem may work properly if it were working with solid software. The R15 doesn't have solid software. The random hangs and subsequent resets can only cause more and more problems with the filesystem. The DA/R does a true reformat of the drive and resets the FAT.

And you're welcome John. Glad you could get things running.

7. jpsage

jpsage Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    Obviously I must not have done the DA/R correctly because everything is intact and everything runs correctly. I don't understand the how and why, I just want to get the stuff I want off the R15 and onto my PC via my Hauppauge PVR-250. When that is done I will install the old disk and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on the reset problems--that is probably the route of my problems. I have been repositioning my systems and powering down the unit. Do you know of any way to safely remove power from the unit?

8. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    :scratch: If you can copy everything to a new drive, and it works, what's the point of the DA/R? Are you sure you didn't mix up the drives and put the original back in?

9. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    My guess would be his original drive is having some problems. Flaky drive can cause all sorts of problems. Performing a dd copy to a new drive could resolve that problem.

jpsage, you may want to run Seagate diags on your old drive.

10. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Hmm...I thought the only way it worked was to have the R15 reformat the drive. It's nice to know you can replace the drive andd keep your recordings. Now that's a feature! :grin:

11. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Hold on now here. My theory on this, and only a theory, is that jpsage's original R15 HD is having problems. When he performed the Linux 'dd' copy Linux could perform the copy. So his original drive could read sectors fine but may have problems writing. So his drive was successfully duped and he installed the new drive in his R15. Now he doesn't have problems as the new drive doesn't have write problems.

jpsage should run his original drive through the correct Seagate diags. I'm guessing it will report write problems. But I could be wrong.

12. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    I guess I didn't state that very well. I had the impression that you had to copy the drive and reformat it with the R15 to get it to work. It's nice to know that if my drive fails, I can copy it and still keep my recordings (as long as the drive can still be read).

13. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    qwerty, that should be correct, at least with my very limited knowledge.

14. jpsage

jpsage Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    Fry's in Seattle had 160g drives on sale for 59.00 each. I bought 2 to play with. I will run the segate utils on the original after i copy it one more time. Since we have two r15s, I will have a spare disk for future use.

I have no knowledge of the card or how it works; is there any posibility that the card is where the program is?

15. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    No the program is in flash. The card contains info. But not enough to run a system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.