Second visit from Directv tech today on

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rjhseven, Feb 16, 2016.

1. rjhseven

rjhseven Cool Member

Jun 7, 2012
    internet connection problems with HR44-200. I am a 21 year customer of Directv and every time before when I had a problem, I was routed to special support based on my phone number and usually had the problem solved the next day. Well, this has been slogging along 4 weeks and several hours of calls, chats and one visit.

The very rude tech who came out today said the only way to connect to internet on Directv receivers without them disconnecting every day or so is by hard wire ethernet. He would not tell me if the HR44-200 was a downgrade from HR44-700 I had until December 2015 (it stayed connected wirelessly for a year and half) but kept freezing up and DTV told me it was defective.

Is there a general issue of connectivity problems or am i just an isolated case? I have great internet service from Comcast that is reliable (use my own router and modem) and get average wireless speeds of 80Mbps.

Since December of 2015 was my first contact with customer service since AT&T bought DTV, I can see happening what I predicted when I read about the merger-customer service would go down to the level of Comcast and it has. I will be moving to Dish or Comcast soon. It has been an unreal experience.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    All HR44 are the same. The dash number is just the manufacturer. There are many things that can affect wireless connectivity both inside and outside of the home.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have a 44 and have no Internet issues, but my connection is hardwired through the the DECA. It did take 3-4 tech visits for that finally to be hooked up when I first upgraded to SWM.

4. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Comcast had TV and internet issues all weekend which was nation wide. Comcast is not great internet service. Your issues are not Directv's and your blaming the wrong provider for your problem. I have zero issues hard wired to my HR44-700. I do not have cable for internet, running FTTH.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Wired connections are far more reliable than wireless.
    Tech was correct by recommending a wired connection.

But that could be done with a wire direct to the HR44 or using of a DECA or CCK to add a wired connection to the coax.

While swapping HR44's was not a downgrade, it may not have been necessary.

1 person likes this.
  6. rjhseven

rjhseven Cool Member

Jun 7, 2012
    How do you know whether it is the HR44 or the wireless network? The tech didn't bother to check either after I told him I wasn't going to dedicate the one hard wired Ethernet connection in that room to HR44. The old one I had was wireless and never disconnected barring reset or power failure for around 18 months. Never had to reconnect. Did so automatically.

The nationwide Comcast outage was cable tv outage and a rare event that affected millions for a few hours.

It was necessary to swap 44s as the first one was defective and froze up constantly, skipped to middle of sports recordings, etc. Another DTV rep checked it thoroughly and said just a matter of time. I kept it for a month after that to watch some recordings and it got progressively worse.

Main point of post was what you can expect from new customer service and to see if Internet connectivity was an issue for very many.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Nothing you have said is any different than what directv was like before att. the service with all companies is hit and miss, that's just the way it is unfortunately. As far as I have seen, I dont seen any difference overall in the experience. There's seemingly been about the same number of bone headed moves as always from directv, just as there re the same amount of happy accolades...

Things change and it could be your issues are in your router. You didn't say what trouble shooting you have done, like resetting your router or even trying to set a dedicated ip address for the hr44.

If you have an Ethernet connection at that tv, Id absolutely connect it directly. If you are using it for something else, just buy a switch and then you'll have everything connected directly.

I have several of these..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ1H27205

They go on sale once in a while at an extra few dollars off, but for that price and it being giga, Id just order it and be done. And if you like really future proofing, the 8 port version is the same price.

But really, your issue is seen by others, and often times its an issue with either the router and it communicating in some way, or its too far, stuff like that. I have not seen many people have actual wifi hardware issues in the genies. Not that it isn't impossible.. And dont forget, even though your one before worked, it could be different software is causing the issues.

You also didn't mention what router and such you have, distance, etc.

8. rjhseven

rjhseven Cool Member

Jun 7, 2012
    I can assure you customer service has changed for the worse. I have been told 10 times my issue will be resolved to no avail. But, maybe my previous experience was due to "enhanced customer service department " I was routed to when I called. 21 years with everything package should count for something.

I reset router/receiver close to 15 times. Didn't try a dedicated IP address because old receiver was so reliable with same router ( Archer C7) and modem (Arris Surfboard 6141). Not really proficient in doing the advanced setups anyway. Distance from router/modem is 2 ft with a wood stud/drywall wall between living room and MBR. Just ordered switch you suggested from Amazon for same price. Will get it Thursday. May need help setting it up as a hard wire connection.

He also said the 71 remotes would not turn AV receiver on and off and they were the recommended remotes for 61 mini clients. Anyone know if this is true? If so, will be first DTV remote that would not turn on 3 necessary components for surround sound. Thanks for all the answers. Just felt like Tech didn't give a crap. Was rude to point of being impertinent. Will not call DTV back unless it is to cancel.

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Per CNN Money... "Most of the complaints said that none of Comcast's high-definition, or HD, TV channels were accessible. Others reported that their home phones lines were beeping and others couldn't access the internet or their Xfinity, or internet based television, accounts". My RC71 and RC72 remotes turn on/off my HR44-200, my Sony HDTV, my Sony AVR and control the volume.

10. jrwinter

jrwinter AllStar

Sep 2, 2004
    My Genie DVR drops the wi-fi signal everytime i try to watch on demand!

11. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    The RC73 remote is the one that comes with the HR44 and the tech was correct in telling you that it won't turn your AV receiver off! That's just the way it is. If that's a deal breaker I suggest a 66 model remote to control your components. Same with the Internet dropping occasionally. I do lose mine sometimes. Not a big deal. I just reconnect and move on.

On the other hand, rudeness from a tech is inexcusable and I would make sure someone up the food chain had it brought to their attention. Wouldn't blame this on ATT. Rude is rude, I don't care who you work for. If this person was rude while working for ATT I'd bet my last buck he was probably rude while working for DTV!

12. rjhseven

rjhseven Cool Member

Jun 7, 2012
    I suspect this is a widespread issue but just not a lot of people using VOD. There are so many free movies on it (if you subscribe to pay channels) that people are paying $4-$6 to rent on itunes, MGo, etc. I like being able to search and schedule recordings from my Ipad also.

13. rjhseven

rjhseven Cool Member

Jun 7, 2012
    I bought the switch you recommended and was going to connect tomorrow. Just happened to get a follow up call from Rep regarding the visit on Monday a few minutes ago-where Tech did not even test wireless connection. Told rep who called what happened Monday and what I was planning to do with switch in connecting 44 with hard wire through switch. She said I couldn't do that; it would require DECA switches (not sure with or without switch I bought) to connect via hard wired connections.

I remember the DECA switches from several years ago and have forgotten what they were used for. Is this rep correct? Doesn't sound right to me.

14. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The DECA is built into all current Genies. A separate DECA is only needed if you are afraid the Genie will breakdown.

15. rjhseven

rjhseven Cool Member

Jun 7, 2012
    So maybe Rep is thinking or has been told to say " we will add DECAs to those having internet connectivity problems"?

Not really following this.

16. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The DirecTV LAN needs a DECA to connect to the Router. The Genie built-in DECAs can do this, but if the Genie breaks down all your STBs in the DirecTV LAN will lose access to the Internet. A standalone DECA will prevent this.

17. CuttySnark

CuttySnark Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The HR44-200's had an open engineering ticket for the internal wifi but that was closed years ago and should have been resolved with a SW push. Any decent tech would restore network defaults on the 44 and install a wired broadband deca to resolve any networking drops.

18. rjhseven

rjhseven Cool Member

Jun 7, 2012
    You guys are talking over my head. Does that mean I don't need the Ethernet switch I bought given I only have one Ethernet jack in that room and it is dedicated to my roku.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, you need the Ethernet switch to connect both your Roku and your HR44. A Broadband DECA is not needed in your case.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

20. turbulence

turbulence New Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Connecticut,...
    Every HR44s I serviced and got its newest update lost Wifi connectivity. I ended up putting in a cinema connection kit with no path to the customers' router (or refusal by the customer) , while it's specifically stated in the installation, that HR44s don't fair well with the CCK.
    We are being told to connect it to the broadband via ethernet cable. The rude tech is probably sick and tired of glitchy updates to these boxes and half of the IV retests has to do with HR44s loosing their wifi function.
    Techs who aren't aware of the issue, they would want to replace the box with another as a service swap, but soon as the new box starts the update refresh, they loose wifi too.
    Avoid the HR44s or if you are due for an equipment upgrade, make sure you get an HR54.
    As of today, I'm getting my weekly digest from DT, we are being instructed to only install HR54s for every whole-home installs, to make customers 4K ready.