1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking BackUp/StandBy ISP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, Dec 13, 2012.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I need something I can revert to when the DSL goes down. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it can be for a few hours. If we lose power due to a significant storm, it could potentially be down for a few days since there is no back up power on the remote DSLAM.

I'd prefer something that can feed a LAN like the DSL does, but I could tolerate something that would feed only one PC either by Bluetooth or USB if not by Ethernet.

I wouldn't mind buying a modem for a cell based system, but I can't pay a monthly fee for something I would only rarely use. I'd be looking for something to take out of standby and pay a daily rate only for the days in use.

2. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    What do you want to do with it? Are you running a server of some sort? Or do you just want access to email, Google, and DBSTalk?

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

:):biggthump

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Juno.com and Netzero.com have free dialup service in addition to their better dialup services. I haven't used either for at least ten years.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    You might as well say adware.com and malware.com or how-to-screw-up-your-computer.com

No dial up out here in the sticks. Dial-in numbers are all toll calls, so the call would cost more than the ISP service.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Unless you have cell coverage and tether a phone, it sounds like Satellite is the last resort.

Unless there's money involved (income), I think I could live with a few hours of down-time.

7. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Is cell service good enough to tether from?

I pay a monthly fee so my Verizon phone can function as an access point/wireless router, works well as the local LTE service is quite speedy with great coverage. There's still a monthly fee (though maybe not if you root your phone and install custom firmware), which you were trying to avoid but it's less than paying for a dedicated cell modem. I usually use it to provide internet access for the GF's Sprint phone when she runs into coverage/service problems (i.e. inside buildings).

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It seems like if DSL is the primary service, dialup over the same pair isn't going to buy you much.

9. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I recently got my wife a IPhone 5 so we now have 3 iPhones on a family plan through AT&T. I upgraded to the 4mb shared data plan that includes teathering. Although not near as fast as my cable internet I was surprised how well it worked and figure it is a good backup solution. I can also see using it when we travel because I have stayed at many motels with no or very bad internet connections.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

Hours, yes. Days, not so much. We've had times here when power has been out for a week or more. My generator keeps the modem and such running, but doesn't help the DSLAM.

Satellite is what I had, but of course they want a monthly fee and annual commitment.

Cell phone is a TracPhone, no tethering. I very rarely use it, so I don't need a fancy phone. Can't see paying another monthly cell phone fee just for standby.

Not sure I can get 4G anyways. 3G maybe if I updated the cell phone booster/repeater. But again, it would have to be an 'on demand' service that could be turned on and off, not a recurring monthly fee.

11. Fuleg

Fuleg New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    You could look into Virgin Mobile's new Daily Plan. I can't link to it because I have a new account and apparently can't add links to post. Just google for Virgin Mobile Broadband Plans.

It's $5 per day. I'm not sure how they determine which days to bill you for and which not to, so definitely check into that first. Then when you're on the site, see if you're in a coverage area. If you have Wi-Max coverage nearby, that's best because you'll get fast 4G data. If it's close but you don't quite get it, you could get a Wi-Max booster, but they're a bit expensive.

You'll be using Sprint's network so for if you're only in a 3G coverage area, any dual-band amplifier will work pretty well.

12. parts.man

parts.man Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    If you're in a Sprint coverage area, look at Walmart's TruConnect. You can get 8 gb/month for $45 without a contract and use it when you need it during that month (if I'm not mistaken). But the good thing is, when you activate it, you can choose to get half as much bandwidth and "it never expires" if you use it once a year (or some such). So 4 gb for $45, lasts nearly forever and you can top it off when you use it up. Of course, you have to buy a Hotspot with no wired connections. If you have a router that can do Wi-Fi as Wan (Cradlepoints or DD-WRT flashed or whatever) or your computers are wireless, you've got your entire network going. We had over a week at work where every morning when it was very cold (<40 degrees in Texas) internet service was out and the problem had been intermittent for a month. Hotspot fixed it--of course it is only 3G, but it performed very satifsfactorily. Used it in the mornings until they finally got a bucket truck out and adjusted the amps on the line (wondered if they had to order a truck since it took so long--our cable company is horrible). Don't expect to be downloading any movies or Youtubing a lot, but for browsing and e-mail, it seems like a very reasonable backup.