Seeking bedroom advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by glenmick, Nov 12, 2020.

1. glenmick

glenmick Member

Nov 4, 2020
    Got your attention? lol
    Seriously, though, I recently upgraded my living room setup from an HR34 to an HR54 and C61K to fully take advantage of my new Sony OLED 4K TV, and the results are spectacular! I also have a Sony 4K TV in my bedroom, but the DTV receiver/DVR is an HR24, which the technician said doesn’t support 4K and thus couldn’t be used with the C61K. I like having a second DVR and don’t want to give it up, but what are my options if I want 4K in the bedroom? I also have an AM21 for my OTA channels and would like to keep that. I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions.

2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    You'll need a C61K on each 4K TV. But since you have an HR54 you can only watch 4K on one of those at a time.

3. glenmick

glenmick Member

Nov 4, 2020
    Really? So, if someone in the bedroom tunes to channel 104, what comes up?

4. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    If someone else is watching 4K on the other C61K nothing. Or an error page. To watch 4K on two C61K's at the same time you would need the HS17 instead of the HR54 but you wouldn't be able to keep any other DVR's, ie...HR44, HR54, or HR-24.

5. glenmick

glenmick Member

Nov 4, 2020
    The HS17 doesn’t support OTA input, so the AM21 would be useless, right?

6. glenmick

glenmick Member

Nov 4, 2020
    And the HS17 doesn’t record, either, correct?

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The HS17 has a 2TB HD

dtv757 likes this.
  8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HS17 does not directly connect to any TV, you must use clients for every TV. There is no monthly charge for the HS17 (as it isn't a TV position), but each client is charged. If you want 4K, you use a C61K client, otherwise normally a "lesser" (non 4K) client such as a C41. The HS17 can serve up to 7 simultaneous clients in operation, two of which can be 4K (at the same time). You may not have any other DVR or receiver with an HS17, only clients, and as noted, it does not support the AM21. I have had just about every receiver/DVR DirecTV has ever offered, and now use an HS17. I am happy with it, and have 4 television locations running, two of which have C61K. The only thing you can't get with it is OTA support.

Clients do not have a receiver or a hard drive, they are just remote access to the HS17 which does all the heavy lifting. All recordings are on the HS17, and all tuners are in the HS17.

Early versions of the HS17 supported an external SATA drive, however I believe current production units no longer have that capability. So you might get eSATA capability or you might not, luck of the draw.

AZ. likes this.
  9. glenmick

glenmick Member

Nov 4, 2020
    Thanks for your informative reply. Lack of OTA support is a deal-breaker for me. The sub-channels I get are not found on any satellite or cable source, and that is important to me.

10. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
  11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I simply came to comment on a well-named thread. Carry on!

compnurd likes this.
  12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is considerably more complicated as it requires its own DVR that cannot be accessed from a DIRECTV receiver and most TVs without additional streaming devices with their distinct user interfaces.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Good luck in the short term, you should be able to hold on for a while. Long term, OTA will not be supported by DirecTV, so you should probably start planning your long term solution. Perhaps Tivo, combined with streaming services?

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    DirecTV and ATT’s various other TV methods don’t support locals very well now. Mostly all those subchannels are missing.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There are unsubstantiated rumors flying that TiVo may be walking away from OTA in the long term as well to focus on cable STBs.

16. glenmick

glenmick Member

Nov 4, 2020
    Thanks! I thought it would be an attention getter. haha

ejbvt likes this.
  17. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    But then DirecTV has always missed a bunch of interesting local OTA subchannels, so its relatively useless even with all the hacks. I went to a couple inexpensive home runs (4 receivers) and a computer media server/DVR. Yeah its like any aux streaming service you want to connect to your TV, Netflix for example. Its not that big a deal if you are streaming content not available on DirecTV anyway. OTA streaming itself was actually easier for me to set up than a bunch of DirecTV components, probably because I had a spare Widose 7 PC and a 2TB drive laying around. Not for everyone for sure.

With a media center, you can add complexity, like setting the DVR to delete commercials/Ads.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  18. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    My advice is, the bedroom is not for watching TV.

codespy likes this.
  19. glenmick

glenmick Member

Nov 4, 2020
    I rarely do; it’s mainly for guests. In fact, when I remodeled last year, I contemplated taking out the TV. Probably should have, since I have few guests anymore.

20. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    With your post, and the title of the thread.....I’m surprised this conversation hasn’t gone south by now. :)