1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Aligning Dishes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kevinturcotte, Sep 11, 2009.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Not sure if this is even possible, or how much time/money it would save Directv, but IS it possible to have self aligning dishes? After spending 45 minutes re-aligning a dish yesterday (Because SOMEBODY couldn't figure out why the H21 wasn't getting any signal from 99 or 103 on a non SWM system-I didn't have the BBC installed lol) I thought this would be a great idea! Obviously not with the current dishes, but something in the future. I know the receivers can now detect that you have low signal strength. Instead of just sending you a message, or sending one to Directv, and having them roll a truck, it just automatically adjusts/peaks the dish itself. Also be able to turn the auto adjust on and off, and be able to manually go into the receiver and tell it to do it as well.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "It could be done", but not for any reasonable price.

3. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm sure that it is possible, but would be extremely cost prohibitive. Especially on a large scale.

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    that would be awesome

5. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
  6. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm talking like, just a small motor on the back of the dish.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Actually it would be a bit more than that.
    two motors, controller, and detectors [to know which way to move]

9. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Couldn't the receiver itself handle all the instructions with software? Just tell the motor what to do?

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    How would the receiver "know" which way to turn/move the dish?

11. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It already had a signal strength meter built in. Just send commands to the motor until the signal is peaked.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It isn't that simple.
    What happens when there is no signal?
    [also how would these "commands" be sent to the dish?]

13. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If it doesn't find a signal, it continues to check every few hours, for 24 hours (In case of storms), and if it still can't find a signal, the receiver sends a message to Directv and Directv calls, verifies that there's not a MAJOR storm going through, and then sends a tech out, who's probably going to find a LOS problem.
    Signals couldn't be sent back and forth right over the coax?

14. blitzingATK

blitzingATK Cool Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Good idea that brings back a childhood memory.

When I was a kid, my dad installed a motorized unit to adjust the OTA antenna. Control knob sat next to the couch and we would just turn it to tune in locals affils. Often we would turn it too far and have to go all the way around again as it only went clockwise.

Good stuff from decades past.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What you're thinking of is a basic tracking system. These are normally done with 3 or 4 detectors which are compared for equal output.
    Add in the motor & drive [which needs to have fine adjustments] and some controler and it will become [quickly] more expensive that rolling the truck now. "Given" that the dish is a fixed location and the "targets" are also fixed, dish alignment [or re-alignment] shouldn't be needed that much.
    I've only had my dish "go out of alignment" once and that was due to shearing a pin that located the the whole assembly.

16. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I know (Or think lol) this is how the BUD's and their receivers do it. Wasn't sure how expensive it would be for DBS though.

17. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Too expensive. Those automatic alignment mechanisms for RVs and boats cost a few thousand dollars. Not pratical for typical home DBS applications.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    post #2: "It could be done", but not for any reasonable price. :lol:

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    BUD's are set up very much the same as a basic DirecTV dish: manually. Those dishes rotate in an arc, so the dish is adjusted once (by hand) to match the arc, and then there is a motor to move the dish through the arc. The receiver is then programmed to stop at each sat location along the arc. The dish doesn't do any scanning or detecting in the sense that you're talking about.

An entire Slimline dish (minus the LNB) costs DirecTV less than $20 each (in bulk, in volume). A motorized, detecting dish would cost at least 50 times that. Are you gonna pay? :)

20. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Didn't know that about BUD's. So how does it actually work? What if it goes to the preset location, and it doesn't find a signal?
    Also, was just thinking of the new Smart Antennas that can auto-adjust for DVRs.