1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Install for adding a receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cdawgshout, Jul 1, 2012.

1. cdawgshout

cdawgshout New Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hi All,
    I just got off the phone with DTV. Apparently it isn't possible to do a self-install for adding equipment? My house is wired and ready, just need another box.

Don't want to get into it, but have had a very bad experiences with techs in my home in the past.

Is there an exception with DTV or another party I can order equipment from?

Thx guys!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You can order from an online retailer, or a local dealer. www.solidsignal.com is one source.

3. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    It depends on how hard you're willing to push. I have 2 HD receivers being shipped right now as additions.

The original CSR put it in as an install, I immediately called back and took a hard line; I was told that it could be overridden by a manager, and that it had been by the first CSR.

I firmly, while maintaining a pleasant demeanor, insisted on this and it was done. I received notice they had shipped about 45 minutes after gettting off the phone.

It really depends on what your goal is. If you're getting a deal from CS/retentions, then it's advantageous to push a little bit until it's granted. If you're paying regular price, solidsignal.com is the place to go. It'll actually be cheaper with shipping, unless you're having that waived by D* as well.

If D* won't budge on it, it's sometimes possible to have them credit your account the amount you'll have to pay a 3rd party retailer like SS to purchase a leased receiver.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    most of the times this varies by account and by the type of system that the customers has.