1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mauijiminar, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    Here what I have in my home:
    I have one HR-200 and standard receiver in my living room
    I have one DVR SD 2 tuner receiver in my bedroom
    I have one standard receiver in my daughters room

I want to add another HD DVR to replace the standard reciever in my living room, but I need to run another line so I can have 2 tuners. Is this hard to do? Where to I connect the line? Is the muliti switch outside or in the attic? I dont have a clue what to do. Running line is not the problem for me, it is where to connect it. Any help would be great!

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    If you know how to run wire, it'll be easy. SOMEWHERE either in your attic or outside near your electrical grounding maybe, there is a multiswitch with all 4 lines from the DISH connected to it. Then there are currently 6 outputs being used by your current 6 tuners. You just need to add a 7th output connection, and run that coax cable into your living room. That should get you up and running.

3. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    The only trick here is to find your multiswitch. You're going to have to look at your lines and follow them until you find the switch which is a grey box about 5x7x1.5 inches. There are 8 outputs, you should have 2 open ones according to the info above. It's standard rg6 coax, run another line and then replace your sd receiver when done

4. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    Also, don't connect to the FLEX ports. Those are used for international channels. This is assuming you have a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch.

Here's a link to the installation guide PDF for the Zinwell multiswitch (from SolidSignal.com):
    http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/WB68_Install_Guide.pdf

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    It is possible that all four lines are comming directly from your LNB to each of your recivers Now. When you upgrade to HDDVR ask for pro install and a installer will be dispatch and install multiswitch depending on where you exsisting connections are Run your New Wire to that location and have him connect away.

6. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    No, OP has more than 4 tuners in use right now.

7. mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    Thanks for all the advice! I will try it tomorrow!

8. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    Finding the switch isn't hard to do, just play connect the dots on your wiring. Look around your cable box/electric meter first. If its not there, just follow the lines till you find a box meeting the descriptions above.

One other thing is that it has a yellow sticker on the front with a bunch of numbers on it.

If the cables go into the soffet under your overhang, it's in the attic.

9. mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    Well I did it with no problems! That was way too easy! I may add another box for my porch! LOL. Anyway thanks to all!

10. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    It always starts with that feeling and all of a sudden you have two DVR's in every room in your house